Guest viewing is limited

Japan Post to no longer issue International Money Orders.

impish

TAG Member
Reaction score
How does this affect you? If you need to renew your passport you will 90% most likely have to go to your embassy, which is by appointment only for us US folks. I have to say man am I glad I already did mine last year. Talk about cutting that close.

MPORTANT NOTICE FOR MAIL-IN PASSPORT RENEWAL APPLICATIONS:

Effective December 30, 2019, Japan Post Bank (Yu-cho Bank – JPゆうちょ銀行) no longer issues International Postal Money Orders. After this date, it is not be possible to purchase money orders for mail-in passport renewals in Japan outside of U.S. military installations as noted below.

If you have an International Postal Money Orders purchased before December 30, 2019, please note that we must receive your passport application at least 15 working days prior to the money order’s expiration and no later than February 28, 2020, whichever comes earlier.

As of January 2020, most passport renewals in Japan will require in-person application at the U.S. Embassy or consulate.

https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/frequently-asked-questions/

Thanks for the heads up..........

You can use cash, and at the discount ticket shops near me in the sticks, they exchange dollars. Not the best rate, but I think banks and post offices require a minimum amount exchanged.

You can use cash, and at the discount ticket shops near me in the sticks, they exchange dollars. Not the best rate, but I think banks and post offices require a minimum amount exchanged.

You can't send cash in the mail to renew your passport in the mail they will not accept it as a form of payment.

I thought many Americans would just take the day off & go to the embassy. It’s only like once every ten years. Likely it ended due to low use.

I thought many Americans would just take the day off & go to the embassy. It’s only like once every ten years. Likely it ended due to low use.
Visiting the US Embassy is annoying. So annoying that I’ll just renew my passport in the states next time. Having an appointment and then getting the TSA treatment trying to get in the place... it’s not friendly at all.

Reactions: Desktop
Visiting the US Embassy is annoying. So annoying that I’ll just renew my passport in the states next time. Having an appointment and then getting the TSA treatment trying to get in the place... it’s not friendly at all.
Just wait until the Mexican embassy relocates next-door.

Reactions: Frenchy
Obtaining or renewing in the US isn't such a great experience either. You have to visit the post office here. Ugh! They make dealing with the TSA seem like a pleasant afternoon.

Obtaining or renewing in the US isn't such a great experience either. You have to visit the post office here. Ugh! They make dealing with the TSA seem like a pleasant afternoon.
Hmm. I had family take care of their passports by renewing via mail in the states, pretty painless. New apps and certain cases requires a post office visit, but still, not that bad if your paperwork is in order.

Reactions: impish

But you don't need to call the USPS to schedule an appointment as to when you can go in and renew. In Japan you do.

Hmm. I had family take care of their passports by renewing via mail in the states, pretty painless. New apps and certain cases requires a post office visit, but still, not that bad if your paperwork is in order.
Renewals may not require a post office visit, haven't had to renew mine yet. I should have checked that first.

But you don't need to call the USPS to schedule an appointment as to when you can go in and renew. In Japan you do.
You have to schedule appointments for them here. Had to for mine in 2015 and my GF's in 2018.

Renewals may not require a post office visit, haven't had to renew mine yet. I should have checked that first.

You have to schedule appointments for them here. Had to for mine in 2015 and my GF's in 2018.

Weird when I did my first renewal in 2009, I walked up to the door that said "passports", got my picture taken, handed them my paperwork and money got a receipt and left. Had no appointment...

Weird when I did my first renewal in 2009, I walked up to the door that said "passports", got my picture taken, handed them my paperwork and money got a receipt and left. Had no appointment...
It probably varies from location to location. Despite being in a large metro area which additionally is in the top 10 highest population growth rate in the nation, we seem to have exactly one person who handles passports.

Reactions: impish