Guest viewing is limited

Japanese woman can't cook !

hitman99

TAG Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think this is a turn off ? Nothing at all and hates cooking.

Myself am no wizard in the kitchen but at least give it a go from time to time !

Myself am no wizard in the kitchen but at least give it a go from time to time !

I have found out many of those kitchen tables are perfect height from some sausage cooking. Just remember to have a spinner at hand, as always, as them table legs are not made as sturdy as back in the old country!

I have known some Japanese ladies who can cook. And not just Japanese food. Italian especially. Good pasta and good fish of all kinds. And who are you comparing to anyway? God I hope not American. Most Americans, not all, but certainly most, have no fucking idea what good food is, so there is no way in Hell that they would be able to cook it even if they know what it was. Generally speaking, most Japanese girls who are over 28 and who are not super hot models or entertainers or some other such shit actually do know how to cook.

Last edited:
In many of the malls around the country is a shop called "ABC Cooking" (apparently it's international) anyway, everytime I am in a mall the place is packed with women cooking, so making a blanket statement like that is false, I would say a majority of women know how to cook, and that those who don't are in the minority.

In many of the malls around the country is a shop called "ABC Cooking" (apparently it's international) anyway, everytime I am in a mall the place is packed with women cooking, so making a blanket statement like that is false, I would say a majority of women know how to cook, and that those who don't are in the minority.

There is a cooking school on the edge of Marunouchi, close to Nijubashimae. I have lunch near there every so often. The ladies taking cooking lessons there are either drop dead gorgeous or in need of a lot of TLC. (Ages vary a lot)

One Japanese woman I know, learned everything from her mother and the woman can make some fantastic Japanese as well as fusion dishes.

To answer the OP; i love cooking and eating out. So i dont care if the girl can cook or not.

For me its a turn-off if they cant enjoy their food or drink. I hate taking a lady out and they are just picking at food and nursing a cocktail all night.

A girl that pounds beers and yakitori sticks and then demands sex is a lot hotter than the perpetual dieting boring salad eating type. They are also just literally better looking usually.

I take the OP's question as whether a Japanese woman who cannot cook is a turn-off.

No, not for me.

Japanese women usually learn basic cooking at middle schools' home economics curricula. If they don't cook, it's more likely to be "won't cook" than "can't cook".

I don't care much if she can't cook, in France it was pretty common but I've yet to meet a Japanese girl who can't cook.

Not sure why that would be a turn-off, unless you are trying to cook and play at the same time. It can be a turn-on, but definitely not a turn-off.

You are not expecting her to make home-made chocolate for Valetine's do you? Maybe with a bit of her blood or toe nails or something else mixed int? :p

wha an awesome forum - thanks for the replies- I was recomended LINE app has a cooking recipe video feature which might be good to forward through as a bit of a hint or an idea to try together -
Many J girls I know are amazing cooks and know an awful lot about all foods all over the world - even went to Carlos Gohns wifes restaurant My Lebanon with fone many years ago !

Reactions: Simonka
I’m not a guy but food culture is such a big part of my life and it would have been a turn off for me.

If someone could prepare Falafels and Bourekas (pastry with filling, words cannot really describe how awesome it is) I’d be very impressed..

If someone could prepare Falafels and Bourekas (pastry with filling, words cannot really describe how awesome it is) I’d be very impressed.

Hmmm...for falafel, you need Italian parsley which is not that easy to get in Japan or anywhere outside the Med region. :(

Somehow I ended up cooking for my SB these days, but I don't do deep frying.

Reactions: Simonka
The best falafels that aren’t mine are maybe made by Pita the Great in a pita, but by themselves maybe Shamiam, near Ikebukuro. The Palestinian place in Kanda is pretty good too; they dress up their dishes real nice with pomegranate jewels and extra olive oil and smoked pimento.

You can do falafels in a relatively shallow pan or Dutch oven; you can pick up canned chickpeas anywhere and gram flour/besan most places. I find for the Japanese palate, reduce the garlic but support the flavor profile with coriander powder or some hempseed (麻の実) to get the right crunchy mouthfeel.

If any of you end up my friend independently of this board, I do the full 9 yards with hummus, tahini, tzadziki, and a ton for of charcoal-fired baba ganoush (smoked eggplant dip) and if I’m really going for it some stuffed grapeleaves and extra olives or fried haloumi. If you’re my best friend ever I’ll roll out the moussaka and/or spanakopita.

Hmmm...for falafel, you need Italian parsley which is not that easy to get in Japan or anywhere outside the Med region. :(

Yeah.. I replace it with dry parsley. I also don’t deep fry it and eat it raw when I prepare it.

Reactions: Ken1988
PS a culture can express itself through art, music, dance, its buildings, how it views relationships of seniority or blood, holidays, private versus family versus work time, and among others food.

I guess even if they can’t cook, but are “literate” in eating or just think about why we’re eating what we’re eating or what it meant to the people who made it, we’ll be alright.

Reactions: Ken1988 and Simonka
Tbh, there are only 3 reasons why a person can’t cook
1) brain dead
2) too lazy
3) physically challenged

Most people will learn. The person you’re annoyed with probably just have an attitude issue.

If you’re my best friend ever I’ll roll out the moussaka and/or spanakopita.

I haven't tried to make spanakopita in years... I think this sounds like a weekend project....

Italian parsley is pretty easy to get in Japan. I buy it regularly at four or five of the major local supermarket chains in Kanagawa. And if you cant get it, it is incredibly easy to grow. Like cilantro, or regular parsley, it will grow without any problems pretty much anywhere in Japan in the spring and summer.

Reactions: Ken1988
I went out with a vegetarian once.

Cooking at home - something I really enjoy - became a boring chore as I couldn’t use meat as an ingredient.

Also we couldn’t enjoy high end restaurants as she was a fussy eater to boot....it finished the relationship in the end.

I don’t mind if someone can cook or not. But an appreciation, open mind and appetite for food would be essential for me.

Reactions: Frenchy
Tbh, there are only 3 reasons why a person can’t cook
1) brain dead
2) too lazy
3) physically challenged

Most people will learn. The person you’re annoyed with probably just have an attitude issue.

You left out 4 - cultural expectations (or lack thereof).

A very large percentage Japanese women don't actually learn to cook until they're engaged.

And an even larger percentage of Japanese men never learn at all. My Japanese friends are always bemused when we have them over for dinner and I do all the cooking.

Cooking at home - something I really enjoy - became a boring chore as I couldn’t use meat as an ingredient.

Also we couldn’t enjoy high end restaurants as she was a fussy eater to boot....it finished the relationship in the end.

I don’t mind if someone can cook or not. But an appreciation, open mind and appetite for food would be essential for me.
Vegetarianism is a bit of a deal breaker for me too. So is not drinking. Too much of the 'good stuff' of life happens over a big dinner table where people are gulping strong beverage with abandon and tearing apart and then chomping into greasy legs of well roasted beasts! The Vikings got that one right.

Thats one of the many little things (lack of sex being obviously a bigger one) which ruined my marriage: not only she didnt like to cook, but more importantly always bitching about what we got at restaurants, even upscale ones. It was like « i can’t stand you anymore so I will also complain about the food you pay for me, however great it is ». Now I am very careful about going out with ladies who truely appreciate a good meal... and show gratitude!

Reactions: hitman99
Thats one of the many little things (lack of sex being obviously a bigger one) which ruined my marriage: not only she didnt like to cook, but more importantly always bitching about what we got at restaurants, even upscale ones. It was like « i can’t stand you anymore so I will also complain about the food you pay for me, however great it is ». Now I am very careful about going out with ladies who truely appreciate a good meal... and show gratitude!
I have come full circle on the whole food thing. I still like and appreciate high end expensive gourmet meals, but I do much less than I used to. You can really over do it if you are not careful. Now I eat more basic food. I eat out less. I like to cook and have cooked for me basic pastas and fish and meat. I drink good craft beer and reasonably priced wine. I pay special attention to getting the absolute best from dishes made with a very small number of very basic but high quality ingredients. I also resist like hell the situations where I might have to have a meal with people I don't really like. As you say Frenchy, It is not the food. It is the people you eat it with.

Last edited:
great to see this thread getting so many great posts.

FWIW I can honestly say one of the most enjoyable women I dated for a while often asked me to take her to Matsyua or Ikinari Steak (cheap stand up steak joint serving ice cold namas). She loved Matsuya but said as a woman it felt weird going their alone. Cheap and cheerful beats these poncy places with a stick !