Kanazuen Soap District (Gifu)

Goshogawara

TAG Member
Reaction score
Kanazuen in Gifu prefecture is one of Japan's famous large soap districts. I've picked up some information from a lady working there and decided to share them as there is only sparse information in English on the net.

First, apparently the Kanazuen Soap Association forbids the entry of foreigners, some of the cheap shops do not belong to the association and may take foreign customers ("Birthday" for example). This ban of foreigners exists since the 80s, during the AIDS crisis.
Access is very easy though, just accross the street after exiting Gifu station towards the south.

The whole district looks very rundown, worse than Ogoto. The number of shops has been decreasing for years, and recently the Gifu police has started "investigations" which resulted in some shops going out of business. The driving force behind this is the local member of parliament, Noda Seiko, who would like to see the land occupied by the soaplands put to different use. It's just a few minutes on foot from Gifu station after all.

So, this has become a vicious circle. The police starts "investigating", shops start to close. Customers and ladies are afraid of the police, less customers result in less revenue for the ladies, the good foam princesses can't make enough money anymore and look for different places. So the overall quality of ladies decreases, the risk of hitting a service jirai becomes more likely and customers who once hit a jirai also stay away. The shops don't invest in refurbishment any more as they don't know for how long they can stay in business so the buildings and the interior keep getting older. Maybe another ten years an Kanazuen will be gone.

Thanks for the info.
I sent a lot of business to a certain company a few years ago, and the boss there wanted to thank me by taking me there.
As per your info, he called every soapie, but none would let a non Japanese in.

Away from the main centers it is so hot and miss.

@Goshogawara. Thank you for sharing many information about soaplands outside of Kanto. Thanks to you I had enough initial information about Ogoto. I have submitted the review and it should be coming soon.

My next target is Kanazuen in Gifu.

I have just made a few calls to some of the shops. But so far, the response is negative. Japanese only.

Even for GG (a shop name) who advertise as foreigner friendly on Cityheaven Traveler, told me just now that weekends are not possible basically. They want me to call again on weekdays to check.

I thought the situations may have changed after several years. But it looks like it is still as closed as Fukuhara.

Reactions: Alice
Having peeked around on streetview it appears many of the grand old buildings there have been demolished over the past 10 years. It is indeed an area in regression.

As an aside, there is nothing quite like a flamboyant soap castle/villa/rococo house, I can well see someone publishing a coffee table book of such defunct properties in the future, there are all kinds of trends and unique features to feast the eyes on. I imagine many of these went up in boomtime.
IMG_20231112_225211.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tobatdaku
If you get in, be sure to give the golden spider a go. This is where it was invented and the girls are supposedly masters at it!

Gave it a go at Yoshiwara but they only had a smaller version and it wasn’t as fun as I thought it would be.

If you get in, be sure to give the golden spider a go. This is where it was invented and the girls are supposedly masters at it!

Gave it a go at Yoshiwara but they only had a smaller version and it wasn’t as fun as I thought it would be.
Don't leave us hanging, what is it?

Don't leave us hanging, what is it?
Yep it’s a chair that you get on and get pleasured. It looks great in an AV but in reality it takes a long time to prep the chair with towels for grip, and then all that can be done is BJ/HJ and variations of cowgirl. Quite precarious for the provider!