Late Intro & Gratitude

QuesoDip

TAG Member
Reaction score
I'm almost a couple decades into "learning about Japanese culture" and the better part of a decade in the P4P scene in general.

In the past, I'd get fuzoku intel on other forums, but you guys are tops. Even in the short time lurking before registering, I felt way more in the loop about how to navigate, discover, and understand what was reasonably available to me as an eigo-only gaijin visiting Tokyo. Glad I registered and I hope to give back.

I'll be posting more about my most recent trip in the near future (waiting on one review for approval). I'm dumping those old Japan forums; y'all are great.

Arigathanks sozaimuch.
Queso-San

Curious. What is your Japanese ability by now?
Honestly couldn't tell ya. Studied to pass N5 but never took the test. And this was... uh... 15 years ago now (!). Spent about a half year in Japan cumulatively, have made some friends while here too. I'd say most of what I've learned is immersive and asking dumb questions.

If the other person is open and patient, I can manage everyday small talk and sometimes decent conversation without a translator through my broken conversational Japanese, Japanglish, and exaggerated gesturing. (Communication is all about effort after all.)

In this first review I submitted, I booked in English, had the session probably 90% in Japanese, but later that day froze up when the Lawson cashier asked if I wanted my obento microwaved. (I'd chalk that last one up to still being in eigo-brain; I was spacing out and did not expect to have to process Japanese.)

Sometimes I impress myself with how much I know.
Sometimes I think it would've been easier for them if I just spoke English.