Guest viewing is limited

Learning Japanese

User#6246

TAG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to pick up a little Japanese language here and there could come in handy for me one day. I have been watching TV and saw a film but everything seems to get past me so fast. Is there any other way to learn? I am opting for school but for now just want to learn a few things specially casual everyday Japanese and how the younger generation talks. Talking too formal is sometimes a turnoff. Japanese slang anyone?

Taking a class is helpful, but yeah, they generally start with the semi-formal form of speaking so that you don't offend people in every day situations. Unless you are really good at self-study, a class or hiring a tutor is probably best.

I would seriously suggest a class or at least some tutor with a good book to learn the fundamentals. It is very difficult to iron out things you learned wrong. I met a few people who speak a horrible Japanese, because they mostly picked it up (very bad pronunciation which makes even mine look native, almost no particles, very little grammar and prone to even using that wrongly, but know a lot of very casual terms or manga vocabulary). If for nothing else, you will want someone to correct your mistakes (especially pronunciation). Japanese people will neither correct you nor will they understand you if you pronounce wrongly. Things like a long or short vowel which are very similar for a foreigner are completely unrelated words for Japanese. Teachers may learn the trick of guessing what you tried to say, but most others won't.

If you have some fundamentals, emerging yourself in as much Japanese as possible is a vey good idea to pick up more vocabulary and phrases.

Learning Japanese...

Well, you can learn the language, or you can LEARN the language. Don't be AFRAID to talk to every single woman you come across, EVER. She may be simply DTF, or you can get her line info for later dates, or she may hate the fact that you have ANNOYED the shit out of her.

Only a beta worries about that though. Just remember that she really WANTS it, it's just all in your APPROACH. And you may learn some Japanese, but you may NOT.

Reactions: just4fun