Guest viewing is limited

Leaving before Jan 1st

raoxi

TAG Member
Reaction score
Yes I choose TAG as a platform to ask this question (I trust you lot more than reddit etc). But it has come to the end of my 2 year stint in Tokyo so am trying to get rid of my working visa before the dreaded Jan 1st. Am wondering is there anyway I could do this without going through customs at the airport? Atm am planning to just do a quick 1 day visit Seoul and give up my resident card on the way out but if there is a quicker way around it i.e handing it back somewhere and then claiming a new temporary visitor visa, then that would work too. Or better yet, if you know of another better way to surrender my working visa?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Yes I choose TAG as a platform to ask this question (I trust you lot more than reddit etc). But it has come to the end of my 2 year stint in Tokyo so am trying to get rid of my working visa before the dreaded Jan 1st. Am wondering is there anyway I could do this without going through customs at the airport? Atm am planning to just do a quick 1 day visit Seoul and give up my resident card on the way out but if there is a quicker way around it i.e handing it back somewhere and then claiming a new temporary visitor visa, then that would work too. Or better yet, if you know of another better way to surrender my working visa?
As far as I know.... you can go to immigration and request the change to a short term visitor status. However, they can and have been known to reject people who try to do that.
From what I've heard, it's much easier to just leave the country and come back as a tourist.

Others may have other experience to share...

I don't understand the point in doing that

The city taxes for this year have to be paid only if you are a resident on first of January next year.

D
The city taxes for this year have to be paid only if you are a resident on first of January next year.
Doesn’t he still owe the taxes? I don’t see what changing his visa status or leaving before Jan 1 buys him. He is liable for city taxes for 2018 based on his 2018 income. Normally he would pay each month or quarterly through the 2019 year. He doesn’t avoid any taxes by leaving. He still owes. Staying one day on a work visa in 2019 would only mean that he owes one day of taxes (if he worked on that day) in 2019 that he would have to pay in 2020.

Reactions: Casanova69
I don’t think that is true. You are laible. By leaving on December 31 2018, you don’t get to not pay 2018 residents taxes.

Reactions: Casanova69
I don’t think that is true. You are laible. By leaving on December 31 2018, you don’t get to not pay 2018 residents taxes.

It actually is true. Your resident tax liability is determined by your municipality of residence on January 1st. If you are no longer resident in Japan, you have no liability.This is why you often have an exodus of expats just before Christmas.

It actually is true. Your resident tax liability is determined by your municipality of residence on January 1st. If you are no longer resident in Japan, you have no liability.This is why you often have an exodus of expats just before Christmas.
Really? I always thought I would have to pay up if I left. I did leave once for a few years and, IRRC, my HR manager at the time made me pay tax for the whole previous year. It was already midway through the year so it didn’t hurt that much. I think I left in August, so I only paid 4 months. Taxes and death.

Really? I always thought I would have to pay up if I left. I did leave once for a few years and, IRRC, my HR manager at the time made me pay tax for the whole previous year. It was already midway through the year so it didn’t hurt that much. I think I left in August, so I only paid 4 months. Taxes and death.

Right, let's say that you left in August 2010. You were resident on January 1st of 2010, and liable for resident tax on 2009 income, and by August you had only paid off 2/3 of the 2009 liability, with 4 months remaining. As you were not in the country on January 1st 2011, you had no resident tax liability on your 2010 income.

Right, let's say that you left in August 2010. You were resident on January 1st of 2010, and liable for resident tax on 2009 income, and by August you had only paid off 2/3 of the 2009 liability, with 4 months remaining. As you were not in the country on January 1st 2011, you had no resident tax liability on your 2010 income.
Yup. The J-tax authorities are just one of many entities that takes by force what rightfully belongs to The Buta. But The Buta perserveres!

I used to know a couple of enterprising souls who would leave every two years before Christmas, then move back in the beginning of year. This of course with keeping the same job and the same house. Every two years to take advantage of the lump sum payment of the pensions too.

I think they changed the system so you need to stay out of Japan for a year before coming back in order not to pay the city taxes so this won't work anymore.

I used to know a couple of enterprising souls who would leave every two years before Christmas, then move back in the beginning of year. This of course with keeping the same job and the same house. Every two years to take advantage of the lump sum payment of the pensions too.

I think they changed the system so you need to stay out of Japan for a year before coming back in order not to pay the city taxes so this won't work anymore.
More scofflaw gaijins. They are slowly closing the noose on them though. This new law that Abe just rammed through is going to create a system of second class laborers who can’t bring their family and can’t change their visa status while they are here. 5 years of hard work and cold beans and then back to the muddy banks of the Irrawaddy. Just like good ol Singapore. A paragon of enlightenment re human rights.

Three months, I believe. Same as with driver's licenses.

Three months, I believe. Same as with driver's licenses.

I think it was three months but then they changed it to a full year. Can't seem to find any reference to this now so take it with a shot of tequila. Err, I mean a pinch of salt, of course.

I think it was three months but then they changed it to a full year. Can't seem to find any reference to this now so take it with a shot of tequila. Err, I mean a pinch of salt, of course.

Yeah, this is outside of my area as well. I know it's still three months for driving licenses.

Don't forget the lime.

Reactions: MikeH
Don't forget the lime.

You don't do the lime before lunch. That would be just vulgar.

Unless you count the lime as the lunch.

thanks for pointing this out. i sort of vaguely remembered reading it somewhere too.... but seems like it should still work.

i think the only place cheaper than Seoul is Daegu.. but i heard is very inaka compared to Seoul so best i stick to Seoul.
When you get back from your tax cheat trip to Korea, they have a free room all lined up for you! Guess what? Carlos Ghosn is your roommate! He gets the top bunk because he is worth about $100 million. But since it’s so cold, you can both spoon in the bottom bunk to keep warm! Tax cheats make fine bedfellows! HAHAHAHA! He thought it was legal too!

He thought it was legal too!

It still might be. I believe we will need to have several levels of court to figure that one out. What we know is leaving Japan is perfectly legal though working without a valid visa is not.

And while I am not keeping up to date on this fine fellow Carlos-gaijin it seems he has not been cheating on taxes as he hasn't received the money yet. So no taxes are due yet either. The charges against him are for financial misconduct (against the securities laws) and not for tax evasion.

thanks for the advices everyone, looks like is to seoul we go on the 30th lol. is gonna be cold....

Philippines is cheap and warm... just stay out of Manila... Cebu for example.. granted it is a longer flight... but.... just something to consider rather than bouncing to a colder climate.