Guest viewing is limited

Live at the Budokan

Jimmy Chu1969

TAG Member
Reaction score
Back when I was younger, I loved to go to concerts. Stones, Grateful Dead, etc. Somehow, I met an Asian who then introduced me to as Japanese student who then talked me into visiting Japan in the late 90s. There, I’d go to two concerts: Oasis and Alanis Morissette.

Tell me your Budokan stories!

Tell me your Budokan stories!

I went once, the speakers were not loud at all, the crowd was just sitting silently in their seats and what's worst there was no beer!

Then again it was a university event so that might explain it.

Reactions: Jimmy Chu1969
I went once, the speakers were not loud at all, the crowd was just sitting silently in their seats and what's worst there was no beer!

Then again it was a university event so that might explain it.
I remember my ears ringing for at least 3 days after each concert. It was a blast though. I don’t remember any beer, but I remember getting semi drunk before going and that I had to walk a good distance to get there the first time. The second time I went was about the same for the ears, but I felt like my ears were officially done with live concerts. Haven’t been to anything other than EDM, but that’s outdoors and far away from the speakers.

You know it was so liberating to discover all the relaxed alcohol laws in the 90s. Mike, why didn’t you just put the alcohol like Vodka in a water bottle? I seem to recall that you could get away with stuff like that.

I bought a DVD of Kotoko live at the Budokan when I was a teenager in in the USA.
That's my most exciting story about that place...

Maybe 10 years ago -+ a guy I used to hang with back in the old country was a sound engineer and he sent me a message he was doing the mains for Judas Priest there. I got to sit at the main sound board, meet the band, hang.....sounded great from there.

Maybe 10 years ago -+ a guy I used to hang with back in the old country was a sound engineer and he sent me a message he was doing the mains for Judas Priest there. I got to sit at the main sound board, meet the band, hang.....sounded great from there.

wow!!! Was it the show they recorded for the live album “Rising in the East”? Should have been a bit earlier then (2005)

… more importantly, did you have to blow Rob Halford backstage :)

Reactions: Requiemmorrow
wow!!! Was it the show they recorded for the live album “Rising in the East”? Should have been a bit earlier then (2005)
No. If my memory serves me well it was supposed to be their last ever world tour. good marketing haha
On a side note, maybe 20 years ago I crashed their gig at Sun plaza in Nakano. I got there around 4pm and just walked in. There was a line waiting toi get in but I just acted like I was in the band. No one stopped me but people in line were yelling stuff so I waved hahaha. Just went to the sound board and listened to sound check. I didn't know anyone but it wasn't RH. It was the young replacement guy Ripper Owens who was just unbelievable. Listened to 2-3 songs and left. Sound guy wasn't all that friendly. KK wasn't in the mood.....he was acting like a cunt who I'd heard was always like that. Snuck in to a "Foreigner" show too once....oh and one CTrick show too. Back in the day it was easy to do that here for me anyways.

… more importantly, did you have to blow Rob Halford backstage :)
Oh Jeezzz, if I did then you'd be 1000x more jealous huh?

No. If my memory serves me well it was supposed to be their last ever world tour. good marketing haha
On a side note, maybe 20 years ago I crashed their gig at Sun plaza in Nakano. I got there around 4pm and just walked in. There was a line waiting toi get in but I just acted like I was in the band. No one stopped me but people in line were yelling stuff so I waved hahaha. Just went to the sound board and listened to sound check. I didn't know anyone but it wasn't RH. It was the young replacement guy Ripper Owens who was just unbelievable. Listened to 2-3 songs and left. Sound guy wasn't all that friendly. KK wasn't in the mood.....he was acting like a cunt who I'd heard was always like that. Snuck in to a "Foreigner" show too once....oh and one CTrick show too. Back in the day it was easy to do that here for me anyways.

yes I suppose that if it was at Nakano Sun Plaza, it wasn't during their best years… cool story anyway and thanks for sharing . You really have the right look and attitude to look like a band member I guess! :)

yes I suppose that if it was at Nakano Sun Plaza, it wasn't during their best years… cool story anyway and thanks for sharing . You really have the right look and attitude to look like a band member I guess! :)
Yeah, back in the day I could get away with a lot of stuff......

Reactions: Frenchy
Absolutely! (Well RH circa 1985 … when I was a gloomy teenager very confused about sexuality … might have been tempted)

I can still play/sing this song though it's been a longgg time.

Reactions: Sudsy and Frenchy
their best , imo
Well its not really “theirs” but their cover is way better than the original
I agree. No one can do it as well as JFP imho. Peter Green was one hell of a song writer.....Oh Well is also a killer song by him.

Last edited:
Seen a few hundred gigs in Japan but only one at Budokan.

Kiss in 2003

I do believe I saw the second of many farewell tours Kiss has been doing the last 20 years and some. Very bland performance it must have been since I remember very little even though I didnt drink that evening.