Guest viewing is limited

Looking to get to know poeple

JuLy

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm staying in Japan for a two months.
I'd like to get to know some poeple before leaving to keep in touch with the culture and, when I visit again, have someone to see again. Also to get the ball rolling on meeting their friends and so on.
But currently I don't know anyone and my social skills in public are sadly not the best.
My japanese is not very good either but I came here to get better and I think making a friend would help out a lot.

I looked at events taking place in the area. Either I couldn't find any or there's none that really interest me. Is there anything you people can recommend I do?

I'm currently staying in the kansai area untill the end of september. Consider me a young adult, so anything catering too high up probably won't suit me a lot. Not nessecarily looking to date either but options are open.

Thanks for possibly helping out, this might be a weird question but I wouldn't know where else to ask.

Reactions: zerosupblues
You really are not in the right place.

Hi,

I'd like to get to know some poeple before leaving to keep in touch with the culture and, when I visit again, have someone to see again. Also to get the ball rolling on meeting their friends and so on.
But currently I don't know anyone and my social skills in public are sadly not the best.
My japanese is not very good either but I came here to get better and I think making a friend would help out a lot.

I looked at events taking place in the area. Either I couldn't find any or there's none that really interest me. Is there anything you people can recommend I do?

I'm currently staying in the kansai area untill the end of september. Consider me a young adult, so anything catering too high up probably won't suit me a lot. Not nessecarily looking to date either but options are open.

Thanks for possibly helping out, this might be a weird question but I wouldn't know where else to ask.

I think a simple option to socialize is to go to some local Meetups. Of course the majority that are organized are "language meetups" where a lot of really obnoxious people show up. Not really recommended.

If you look for smaller groups that are related to certain hobbies you can find some enjoyable ones here and there. Have been to a handful of groups that organized activities in community centers and just advertised on Meetup as well. If you meet people that share the same hobby it is easy to get invited to other events you didn't know about etc.

How long are you staying? Any new city - wherever in the world - can be isolation for new people, especially the language area.

I hope you are enjoying Japan? Also, where are you staying - Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka...? If in Tokyo, Tokyo Notice Board https://tokyonoticeboard.securesite.jp is not so bad for friends... Omotesando is a nice place to relax... underground cafe place and small eateries via the exit of Chiyoda Line (Omotesando) .... you can walk directly also to Harajuku and the park area...

Last edited:
Reactions: Alice and JuLy
Hi,

Dude. Let's not beat around the bush. You're weird, awkward, you're past puberty and still have no friends and no social skills. What the fuck made you think that running off to a foreign country you know nothing about outside of anime and adding on another two layers of difficulty--not being able to communicate and not understanding the culture--was going to make the situation any better?? And then you came HERE to ask this???

And I'm not trying to antagonize you. Believe me, I was a teenager and then school teacher long enough to recognize the kind of kid who might get shamed on FB by some mean girl playing a prank and then show up on campus in a trench coat and black lipstick and fingernail polish with two rifles and a couple hundred rounds of ammunition. When your Japan trip ends up in disappointment, please take things in stride. But, I still believe in trying to be helpful...

SO, since you're in Kansai till the end of the month, why not head down to DenDen Town below Namba? I've only gone down there a couple of times to buy laptop parts or airguns, otherwise always just passing through on the way from Tennoji back to Namba after my Spa World trips when I felt like walking, but the area is packed with weird ass cafes catering to dorks, deviants and social outcasts. Not sure on the details as I've never entered such an establishment, but all that creepy shit that attracts guys who might want to hang out with you. Maid cafes, girls dressed up as farm animals, petting zoo cafes, shit like that. The kind of guys who frequent those bars probably had no friends, either, before hooking up with like-minded comrades. Hell, you might even find a female customer there.

Have you ever considered starting a pen-pal relationship with female death row prisoners? If nothing else, it might add some spice to life. Plus they usually speak English.

Reactions: requiemmorrow
Dude. Let's not beat around the bush. You're weird, awkward, you're past puberty and still have no friends and no social skills. What the fuck made you think that running off to a foreign country you know nothing about outside of anime and adding on another two layers of difficulty--not being able to communicate and not understanding the culture--was going to make the situation any better?? And then you came HERE to ask this???

And I'm not trying to antagonize you. Believe me, I was a teenager and then school teacher long enough to recognize the kind of kid who might get shamed on FB by some mean girl playing a prank and then show up on campus in a trench coat and black lipstick and fingernail polish with two rifles and a couple hundred rounds of ammunition. When your Japan trip ends up in disappointment, please take things in stride. But, I still believe in trying to be helpful...

SO, since you're in Kansai till the end of the month, why not head down to DenDen Town below Namba? I've only gone down there a couple of times to buy laptop parts or airguns, otherwise always just passing through on the way from Tennoji back to Namba after my Spa World trips when I felt like walking, but the area is packed with weird ass cafes catering to dorks, deviants and social outcasts. Not sure on the details as I've never entered such an establishment, but all that creepy shit that attracts guys who might want to hang out with you. Maid cafes, girls dressed up as farm animals, petting zoo cafes, shit like that. The kind of guys who frequent those bars probably had no friends, either, before hooking up with like-minded comrades. Hell, you might even find a female customer there.

Have you ever considered starting a pen-pal relationship with female death row prisoners? If nothing else, it might add some spice to life. Plus they usually speak English.

Let's not beat around the bush. You are the weird one with some serious anger issues.

Even if this is the wrong forum for something like that, this was a pretty normal question...no reason to spew your negativity all over the place.

Let's not beat around the bush. You are the weird one with some serious anger issues.
Weird? Yes, I am. But then I'm not a grown man coming to a P4P forum for advice on how to make friends or find people who will talk to me. But angry?? Definitely not. Only things that make me angry are Chinese tourists and female drivers on freeway onramps.

Even if this is the wrong forum for something like that, this was a pretty normal question...
Not trying to start a debate but I'd wager a bet I'm not the only one here who thinks this is not "normal." But like I said, OP doesn't sound like a bad guy. Just needs to learn how to go outside of the house and actually interact with real human beings, and flying to a foreign country where he has zero communicative ability and has zero knowledge of the culture only to use gestures, hand signals, Google Translate and various grunts probably isn't the best way to kick that off.

Bottom line, if I was a single, lonely guy with no friends, who'd never had any friends, who didn't know how to make any friends here at home I'd probably go the safe route and join the Peace Corps. Definitely something worth looking into, and I'm not trying to be an asshole. A couple of stunted classmates had a wonderful time and found life partners there, not to mention the government benefits.

There's a lot of assumptions being made here but I'm not going to waste any words on this.

Thank you for your responses. I'll take the feedback I got with me.

Reactions: corgiesiao
Pity im going in february and youll be gone, could have had couple of beers.

ramble coming up:
First time i went to japan(i go alone) i felt lonely the first day and the sim card i ordered was delivered to the hotel so when i go outside and cant use the phone i almost dropped to my knees in despait, then i had to go back into the airport to get wifi and figure out what the hell to do to get there, then i remember i spoke japanese, 🤦, not from those levels i hear/see people talking about, just from years of japanese flicks/anime and stuff with english subs, thats how i learned english before cause i was born in Cuba, and got the oh jouzu desu ne and all that crap wherever i went. So i spent 2 weeks by myself before going on a tour with 8 other foreigners on a cross country tour, so short story(might be too late), is start with offering a drink maybe... then just go from there. And that brings me to when i was in nagoya i sat at a bar and a japanese guy next to me just started talking in very poor english and to be polite?? I spoke with him in english and we drank together for like an hour until i went back to my hotel, didnt really make friends cause i thought it would be weird when i startex talking japanese and he woud be like WTF guy and also thought i would never go back but here i go again...

So yeah dude, this was just me killing time on my lunch break at my crappy job so do with it what you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: JuLy
Pity im going in february and youll be gone, could have had couple of beers.

ramble coming up:
First time i went to japan(i go alone) i felt lonely the first day and the sim card i ordered was delivered to the hotel so when i go outside and cant use the phone i almost dropped to my knees in despait, then i had to go back into the airport to get wifi and figure out what the hell to do to get there, then i remember i spoke japanese, 🤦, not from those levels i hear/see people talking about, just from years of japanese flicks/anime and stuff with english subs, thats how i learned english before cause i was born in Cuba, and got the oh jouzu desu ne and all that crap wherever i went. So i spent 2 weeks by myself before going on a tour with 8 other foreigners on a cross country tour, so short story(might be too late), is start with offering a drink maybe... then just go from there. And that brings me to when i was in nagoya i sat at a bar and a japanese guy next to me just started talking in very poor english and to be polite?? I spoke with him in english and we drank together for like an hour until i went back to my hotel, didnt really make friends cause i thought it would be weird when i startex talking japanese and he woud be like WTF guy and also thought i would never go back but here i go again...

So yeah dude, this was just me killing time on my lunch break at my crappy job so do with it what you like.
Ahh I had only wifi on my phone when I did my first visit to Japan.
No Japanese sim, no pocket wifi, nothing.
Spend my days just walking around the main urban areas of Tokyo, exploring, getting lost, going to karaoke and (darts )bars with random groups of people.
Eventually someone got me a temporary flip phone. I lost it. Got a new one. It worked for almost a year, then suddenly got cut off.
Random careless fun life!

The first time in England was very easy! Stayed in north England and the mountain areas were great. People were friendly unlike big cities. Just do good background research - and don't be afraid...

Reactions: Alice