Guest viewing is limited

Low budget christmas ideas? Non P4p

Indojin

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions of things to do over winter vacation. Have nothing planned yet and like 2 weeks of holidays.

Current idea is to backpack and explore, staying in manga cafe and travel around, not venturing too far and returning home every 3 days.

Any alternative suggestions / potential pitfalls to be wary of?

Check for weather, take a trip to Onomichi, explore the city and temples dotted around the hillside (and especially Senkoji at sunset), go to sleep, rent an (e-)bike and do the Shimanami Kaido the next day. If it's "just" cold but sunny, I imagine it being pretty nice even in winter. Best thing I have ever done in Japan. Your ass will hurt, your legs will hurt and you will hate steps for a a few days but it's worth it. Plus, you can head down to Matsuyama after the cycle, stay there for a day or two and then take a ferry from there to Hiroshima and continue wherever you want from there.

been to an island near Onomichi (Ikuchi Island) during a trip to Hiroshima earlier! Thanks a lot though! Agree with it being a crazy but fun experience!

Current idea is to backpack and explore, staying in manga cafe and travel around, not venturing too far and returning home every 3 days.
One thing I did on a budget was sleeping in a 24hr sento, basically you put all your belongings in a locker and sleep in big tatami mat room in the yukata/pajama they supply. Don't remember the price but it was a cheaper option than a net café back then.

Reactions: Indojin and Frenchy
Try もっと東京 promotion. They are extending it until 27th December. You get 8,000 yen off for a night stay, 5,000 off and 3,000 yen worth of digital coupons which you can use in most conbini in Tokyo .

If you managed to get someone else to stay with you then it's 16,000 off the price (10,000 off + 6,000 Yen worth of coupon)

Reactions: Indojin
Thanks for sharing this! wasn't aware of it!
Try もっと東京 promotion. They are extending it until 27th December. You get 8,000 yen off for a night stay, 5,000 off and 3,000 yen worth of digital coupons which you can use in most conbini in Tokyo .

If you managed to get someone else to stay with you then it's 16,000 off the price (10,000 off + 6,000 Yen worth of coupon)
I do live in Tokyo, and some of the offers look good!

Check for weather, take a trip to Onomichi, explore the city and temples dotted around the hillside (and especially Senkoji at sunset), go to sleep, rent an (e-)bike and do the Shimanami Kaido the next day. If it's "just" cold but sunny, I imagine it being pretty nice even in winter. Best thing I have ever done in Japan. Your ass will hurt, your legs will hurt and you will hate steps for a a few days but it's worth it. Plus, you can head down to Matsuyama after the cycle, stay there for a day or two and then take a ferry from there to Hiroshima and continue wherever you want from there.
If you do this (or otherwise cycle in winter) go by a Workman store, they sell cheap neoprene gloves and socks for construction workers. It’ll make cycling even in near-freezing temperatures a breeze.

Reactions: Ken4fb
never been there, is this a good time to go? know i'll only be going there once and would prefer good memories of it

Okinawa without going to the beach is not Okinawa. Going there for vacation is amazing because everything feels a bit more laid back in comparison to super busy Tokyo. Takes longer than expected to go there by plane....so I would pick the right time where you can enjoy it to the fullest, but you have to go there if you haven't been yet