Guest viewing is limited

Maidreamin Cafe

ee2002

TAG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what's the general thought on the maid cafes. Last week, I went to Maidreamin Cafe No 1 in Akihabara in the evening. I'm not into the whole kawaii thing, but thought since I'm visiting Japan might as well try the things that are mostly unique to there once.

I went to this spot which was on the forth floor of the building where one of the thousands of anime shops are located along the strip. Went through the typical initial routine and got the combo which included the bear burger with veggies, drink, dessert, souvenir and a photo. The food was so so. The thing that got me is the service was the worst. For someplace that claims to serve you, this was one of the worst restaurant experiences ever. The girls were nice enough and did their typical maid cafe routines but service sucked. The meals took forever to be served (long period between dinner and dessert). The maids never checked to see if I needed more drinks or anything, not even more water. They just left me lingering there mostly. I was bored as hell. Even to finally get the check to leave was a hassle.

The thing that got me was that there wasn't any more than 4 customers at any given time, so they weren't busy. Maybe it's because of my lack or non existent Japanese skills, but how much language skill does it take to provide basic restaurant services. For the price you pay, not great food and bad service, I definitely would not recommend the maid cafe, particularly that one I went to. I guess if you just want some cute Japanese girl in a maid outfit serving (I use that word loosely) you your meal and singing cute songs before you eat, than it's cool, beyond that don't expect much. My question is, is that typical of these places or was it just bad timing or place?

They had the nerve to ask me to put a little dot sticker on this board on the wall indicating whether the experience was good, so so, or boring. Being the nice guy that I am, I just let the girl choose where she wanted to put it and of course she chose good, LOL.

I went to the Maidreamin cafe last year with a client. It was his first time in Japan, and he requested that I take him there (my first time going to one too). We went there on a Friday, I think.. around 9 or 10PM. It was a bit crowded. All of the customers were either groups of friends or colleagues.

The girls are sweet and adorable. I like their energy and costumes. Drinks also didn't take long to arrive.

Show was cute and interesting.. but there was this 60-something year old Japanese man who got up close on stage when the girl was dancing.. and he knew all the dance moves. To be honest, it was a bit creepy.. haha

But overall, it was a cool experience. They treated us well and even gave my client a free lighter.

Thanks for the report!

What was going on with the other customers? Were they getting more attention than you or were the maids just shuffling about doing various things?

I've never been to Maidreamin, so I can't compare experiences.

Overall, Maid cafes are known for their food or service... it's about 2D girls in their maid outfits, looking cute and acting the role of what you expect from a main cafe girl.

@Home Cafe and Pinafore have been other top Maid Cafes.
http://www.cafe-athome.com/en/
http://pinafore.jp/

I've only been to @home cafe in Akiba and every time i went it was insanely busy with a huge queue. Food also took forever but not weird with them being that crowded though.

I have been to that one in Akihabara too. And depending on how much the other customers pay for special service like dancing on stage, singing etc. they give those a lot more attention. I think they pay a huge amount for this.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
If the place was busy I would've totally understood, but it wasn't. When I walked in, there were 2 other customers there. One maid did do a singing routine and before they started they went around asking everyone to purchase a glow stick to wave around during the show. To me it was like being any other themed restaurant where they dress up and act bubbly, wasn't creepy or anything bad about it.

My gripe was there wasn't much waitressing being done at least for me. After I ate the main meal, it sat there for a long time no effort was made to remove them until the dessert came out almost 20-30 mins later. No drink refill, not even the glass of water they gave me initially. It's almost like they forgot about me, even after they would walk by and smile periodically. You pay for 60 mins, but after I left I realized I was there way past that. I was bored as hell. I tried to just chill and see what happens, so I didn't push the issue, but it didn't get better. Just a bad experience for almost $40. Well at least I tried it and could check it off on my list.

Since that was my first time in Japan and have very limited experience with going to restaurants there, I wasn't sure if things are different there as far as service as opposed to what I'm used to in the states. That's why I'm asking here for any other thoughts on these places. Overall Tokyo was great and will definitely return. Thanks for the responses. I will write a quick review on my experience at the this, which was the only P4P action I tried.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/No1-MaiDreamin-Akihabara/308472582537777

Most of the time in Japan in restaurants etc it's up to you, the customer, to call the waitress and don't expect them to come to you otherwise. Just look in her general direction and shout sumimasen and they'll come straight over.

I think your main gripe was just not understanding how things work. We went to most probably the same restaurant about 18 months ago, had a great time and didn't have any issues with getting a shed load of alcohol consumed. We went as a group though, so maybe a lot harder to miss us.

Most of the time in Japan in restaurants etc it's up to you, the customer, to call the waitress and don't expect them to come to you otherwise. Just look in her general direction and shout sumimasen and they'll come straight over.

That's a really good point, didn't cross my mind the first time but this is a very true statement in Japan.

Fair enough. Like I said, I was wondering if it was something normal there in Japan. Either way, I gave it a shot and it wasn't for me. At least I can say I was there. I got a picture of me with the maid with my bear ears, doing the meow paw thing they do, which was the only cool thing I walked out with, lol. Thanks again for the replies.

Yeah I wonder why service was bad for you. My brother and her girlfriend went to a maid cafe, and I'm fairly certain it was the same one that you went to, with no issues.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Yeah I wonder why service was bad for you. My brother and her girlfriend went to a maid cafe, and I'm fairly certain it was the same one that you went to, with no issues.

To be honest, I have some other suspicions, but I won't go there. Especially without proof.