Male Birth Control

Reactions: MissInsomnia
Unless it also guarantees full protection against STDs, no.

I read that article, lol. I was really surprised at the nearly 97% effectiveness of the birth control for males.

It's not so much an issue for me, so probably wouldn't do it myself...

Good story to go with this, with a catchy title:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...rth-control-story_us_5818f13fe4b0922c570bd335
Yeesh. That article/editorial was unnecessarily "bitchy" :rolleyes:

At any rate back on topic, I think it would be great if the shots (or perhaps even a pill in the future?) became a viable option. I know it may seem like a pointless option if we'll still need to use protection anyway for STDs/STIs, but there may be cases where someone's in a relationship or situation that you want unprotected sex but not risk the chance of pregnancy.

Unless it also guarantees full protection against STDs, no.

no I wouldn't take it. Effective use of condoms significantly reduces the chances of parasite implantation and STIs.

U guys alwys use condns then with gfs, no pill????!

Persinlly find beer works best, cnt get it up shen i drunk.,,

I'd consider it if it were safe. I do disagree that they shouldn't have stopped the study, that they should have kept working to get rid of the side effects and make it more of a prescription type thing.

That said, before I did start taking it, I'd probably try and freeze a few shots of my sperm just in case it caused infertility. After my kids are done though, I'd shoot up (though I'd prefer pill form since I'm kind of shy about needles =P)

I'd consider it if it were safe. I do disagree that they shouldn't have stopped the study, that they should have kept working to get rid of the side effects and make it more of a prescription type thing.

They don't even get rid off the side effects for females... working on that first would be much more appreciated or doing both if possible at the same time.

They don't even get rid off the side effects for females... working on that first would be much more appreciated or doing both if possible at the same time.
Yea, and until they did, I wouldn't recommend my significant other to take BC unless she wanted to. I don't want to take any drugs that could have adverse side effects, and I encourage pharmaceutical companies to keep working on these drugs until they don't have side effects. I figured that goes without saying for any drug.

Fortunately, my SO doesn't have any of the mentioned side effects while she's taking it (her choice), so it's a non-issue for us. Her only issue with BC is that she likes to donate blood and a number of places in Japan don't let girls who donate blood to be on BC. So, I found her places that would take her blood while on BC.

I really don't think this is a gender bias, patriarchy issue like so many feminists are trying to make it out to be.

The pill has also a lot of positive effects! Everyone likes to focus on the negatives but it depends on the person how it works. My skin cleared up, my period got very short and painless and i'm pretty sure taking it during puberty made my boobs grow faster. And i've never been pregnant. I'm very thankful for how it works for me, but i'd like to see scientists keep working for more diverse ways of birthcontrol with less side effects for people who may suffer from them, for both men and women.

I know of a few cases of unwanted pregnancy which wouldn't have happened if guys could shoot up.

And i think birthcontrol other than condoms is very useful in longterm relationships where both parties dont want a baby yet.

The pill has also a lot of positive effects! Everyone likes to focus on the negatives but it depends on the person how it works. My skin cleared up, my period got very short and painless and i'm pretty sure taking it during puberty made my boobs grow faster. And i've never been pregnant. I'm very thankful for how it works for me, but i'd like to see scientists keep working for more diverse ways of birthcontrol with less side effects for people who may suffer from them, for both men and women.

I know of a few cases of unwanted pregnancy which wouldn't have happened if guys could shoot up.

And i think birthcontrol other than condoms is very useful in longterm relationships where both parties dont want a baby yet.
Well the main reason why the male form of birth control failed apparently was that the men were complaining about the negative side effects of the medication weight gain, skin blemishes, and mood swings. The main reason why it was cancelled apparently was the mood swings as a few men under going trials were having suicidal idealizations. Again most of this is only rumors, but as stated the most effective form of BC and STI prevention with proper use is proper condom usage. Like you said I wouldn't want a unwanted parasite roaming around or have a gift that keeps on giving.

Sad thing is that we the medicines that we use to treat something are often causing more harm to us. Your doctor often looks at lab results and tests and comes up with the best course of action on whether the good of the medication out weighs the bad. There are plenty of BC that for lack of better words cause some pretty nasty side effects however based on what the doctor saw he preferred to have the patient take the medication in order to combat what is going on in the body whether it is a hormone deficiency or trying to regulate the patients menses.

Side note-Accutane a medication used for Acne is quite possibly one of the WORSE medications that you can take. It comes with a black box warning and more often then not is often controlled to the point the doctor, patient, and pharmacy have to let the drug manufacture known when they are getting the medication and an individual approval code for the med. Side effects seen in pregnancy or someone trying to get pregnant regardless of sex is truly sad. With children coming out severely deformed or premature. Effects on the person taking the medication is severe depression and suicidal idealizations. It is often the last course of action in treating severe forms of Acne where all other options have failed.

s, but as stated the most effective form of BC and STI prevention with proper use is proper condom usage.
The most effective prevention is actually to not have sex.

Also, condoms are important, but they are not always practical to use. In a steady relationship they are not really needed (of course that has risks and you can never 100% trust your partner on not giving you anything, but a lot of people still take the risk) and it would get really expensive to use condoms in a steady relationship and if you want kids later there comes a point that you will do it without anyway.

Also, condoms are important, but they are not always practical to use. In a steady relationship they are not really needed (of course that has risks and you can never 100% trust your partner on not giving you anything, but a lot of people still take the risk) and it would get really expensive to use condoms in a steady relationship and if you want kids later there comes a point that you will do it without anyway.
This is true abstinence is truly the most effective form, I was taking into consideration that the person is active and would prefer to have sex rather then be abstinent. You are right that purchasing condoms would be expensive especially in a committed relationship as opposed to a BC pill.

Another form of Male Birth control is a vasectomy. Mind you, you absolutely have to decide that you are either done having kids or do not want kids in the first place.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland

how much does the pill cost ?

how much does the pill cost ?
varies on the medication and how much you are receiving. Usually the price range is between 15-50 USD a month. Figure you are in a committed relationship with no or grown children sex can be anywhere 1-2 times a week for some but usually its 1-2 times a month. If you are the 1-2 times a week condom buying will get expensive over the course of the month compared to the pill. Besides your partner might get offended that you are not wanting to bareback and or might suspect you of sleeping around. The pill is definitely the cheaper option of the two besides abstinence, but we are on a adult forum so I highly doubt that any of us will want to remain abstinent.

Right now the side effects are a deal killer for me. Future iterations of the drugs will address those, at which point i might be interested - I'm a rigorous user of condoms, but skydivers use two parachutes for a reason.

but skydivers use two parachutes for a reason
Very true. I've never quit being on pill even outside of relationships. Besides the positive effects on my skin and period, it's also a relief that if a condom breaks or slips off (rare but possible) you only have to worry about getting a std test done.

Aren't there some BC's that completely stop your period entirely?

One of my health teachers in college told me that she was taking it so she didn't have a period.
"If you're not trying to have kids, there's no reason to have your period." she said.

One of my health teachers in college told me that she was taking it so she didn't have a period.
"If you're not trying to have kids, there's no reason to have your period." she said.
I'm not sure if there is but i think it's more case by case based usually.
With implants, some girls dont have a period anymore but other unfortunate ones start bleeding almost non stop, or at least more days than before. Also periods with implants can be more sudden and irregular, that's why i stick to the pill.

Reactions: static

There are some medications that limit menustration cycles to 2-3 times a year. BC is often not used as a form of BC but instead in a means to regulate menses and correct hormones within the female body. If a female is taking regular old BC she will still have a period every month unless she takes the once in a blue moon period BC amenorrhea is also not so much a good thing as it can signify things going on in the female body.