Guest viewing is limited

March in Japan - weather?

danosaka

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I am packing and checking out the weather in Japan at the same time. I noticed that its going to be about 20 degC during the day, dipping to below 10 degC at night for Hakata, Osaka, and Tokyo where I will be staying for the most part for March. To me that sounds like perfect weather but that's from an Aussie winter's point of view, not neccesarily like what I imagine it would be like in Japan (think wind factor, sunshine UV/IR effects).

Would strolling out and about in jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie combo work at this time of the year or would I need something a bit more substantial like a fleece jacket or something? My sister said rather hysterically that it was freezing as hell last month during her ski trip (duh) but I take what she says with a large pinch of salt since she's hell paranoid about getting cold unlike me (last year I climbed up to the 6th checkpoint in Mt Fuji in just jeans and t-shirt, and I was sweating). So any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Ps Yeah I know the jeans and hoodie doesn't exactly sound sophisticated but it does feel super comfy and if I get too many weird stares then I will just duck into the nearest H&M and get myself sorted out lol.

Keep in mind that it’s humid, so it often feels colder (or hotter) than it is. An extra layer isn’t a bad idea.

Reactions: danosaka
So I am packing and checking out the weather in Japan at the same time. I noticed that its going to be about 20 degC during the day, dipping to below 10 degC at night for Hakata, Osaka, and Tokyo where I will be staying for the most part for March. To me that sounds like perfect weather but that's from an Aussie winter's point of view, not neccesarily like what I imagine it would be like in Japan (think wind factor, sunshine UV/IR effects).

Would strolling out and about in jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie combo work at this time of the year or would I need something a bit more substantial like a fleece jacket or something? My sister said rather hysterically that it was freezing as hell last month during her ski trip (duh) but I take what she says with a large pinch of salt since she's hell paranoid about getting cold unlike me (last year I climbed up to the 6th checkpoint in Mt Fuji in just jeans and t-shirt, and I was sweating). So any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Ps Yeah I know the jeans and hoodie doesn't exactly sound sophisticated but it does feel super comfy and if I get too many weird stares then I will just duck into the nearest H&M and get myself sorted out lol.
last month was really cold but it's getting better
evenings are still too cold for just a t-shirt and a hoodie, bring a jacket just in case.

Reactions: danosaka
Wind proof jacket. Gets windy when the season changes.

Wind proof jacket. Gets windy when the season changes.

So true! Plus a wind tested mini retractable umbrella of course. No one likes a dripping wet foreigner walking into their store be it a shopping department mecca or a humble ramen joint. Bonus points if disposable umbrella condom is used (definitely sure that's not the right name for those useful things but close enough :playful:)

Layers are your best bet right now. Usually when I go out for ohanami or something all day I'll have on a heat tech, then a long-sleeved shirt, a zip up hoodie and a light jacket. (disclaimer: I get cold easily) That way I can add and subtract as needed.

I like your clever thinking tigerlily (y) Subtract as needed indeed!

For me this means layers of singlet, 2-3 t shirts, a light jacket and (instead of a clumsy umbrella) one them plastic poncho things that I used to laugh at but have just started to appreciate them for its overt fashion statement as a true artform.

Reactions: tigerlily
I like your clever thinking tigerlily (y) Subtract as needed indeed!

Haha! Everyone knows I love a good reveal :)

For me this means layers of singlet, 2-3 t shirts, a light jacket and (instead of a clumsy umbrella) one them plastic poncho things that I used to laugh at but have just started to appreciate them for its overt fashion statement as a true artform.

I totally agree, ponchos are very underrated for rainy weather! If you're feeling particularly avant-garde, I recommend you splurge on a waterproof cape so you can stay dry AND look like a badass super-villain.