Guest viewing is limited

Medical Masks

ur19877

TAG Member
Reaction score
When I see all these girls wearing medical masks walking around, I think to myself, "come on....all these girls can't be sick". It is so convenient for them to ensure guys like me won't stare at them and lust over them... haha.

It does have me curious on how cute that girl must be....

Reactions: lonegaijin
I wonder if some of them are working girls. Covering their face for some anonymity while they move around? The ones dragging small suitcases are even more suspicious.

I wonder if some of them are working girls. Covering their face for some anonymity while they move around? The ones dragging small suitcases are even more suspicious.

When hanging out in some Love Hotel districts and see some girls wearing the masks... I know that they are... not all of course..

Easy way to go out in public without make up.
This! One of my friends hated leaving her house without makeup on.. and then she found out about the mask thing. She hasn't felt the need to put on makeup all the time now.. haha

Since she has beautiful green eyes and has had eyelash extensions done, the masks make her eyes stand out even more and draw less attention to other parts of her face.

Japanese people wear them for the hayfever now.
And yes, really a huge percentage of them have it now. About all Japanese people i meet tell me they have it.
Or for girls its just to cover their no makeup face for their own ease.
Don't be so dramatic, most people who wear them are not working girls or girls who want to protect their honor by keeping guys from seeing their face.

I feel that's true. When I would go to Yoshiwara a majority of girls would arrive in the area with those masks on no matter weather conditions.

Reactions: ur19877
I mostly wear it, when I'm on trains, walking towards Kabukicho, Gotanda, Ikebukuro headed LH with my clients. It's just the sense of security by preventing from catching cold, as even insane coughers don't wear a mask...I heard that because of "it clouds the glasses", then I understood why, as one guy in the office, has severe coughs for more than 4 months and I finally saw him with a mask!!!, but coughing, having the mask on the chin!!! That's because of his glasses get clouded...

Well, how that medical mask works to prevent from catching cold? I had been quite successful, with costant good gargle, but I have to admit, even for protection use,,, finally break the record of not catching a cold for more than years!!!

I have to cancel tonight, I'm so sorry(-_-)
I'll do my best to get rid of feverish, severely sore throat, occasionally coughing.Wish me best!
Thanks.

"come on....all these girls can't be sick".

A lot of Japanese people wear them to prevent becoming sick from other people. Also some masks have allergy medicines in them, so as others say hay fever prevention. I see more women wearing them now than they did 16 years ago when I first came here for vacation.

They don't prevent you from catching a cold. Those masks can not filter out bacteria or viruses. Not at all, even if it says so on the package.

It mentally work for me usually, over years.
But not this time...I guess I got it in Gotanda, yesterday, there was a heavy coughing man, and I too off my mask,.when I met my client. I put it on later, but was too late,.maybe....

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
A lot of Japanese people wear them to prevent becoming sick from other people. Also some masks have allergy medicines in them, so as others say hay fever prevention. I see more women wearing them now than they did 16 years ago when I first came here for vacation.

And it's interesting, I see some of my traveller clients wore a mask, too following the protection use. I used to hear wearing a mask culture is kind of strange for non Japanese, heard that more than 10 years ago. Nowadays, maybe it can be lil fashionable item? Like hello kitty mask,,, black mask??? Union Jack mask...hate the smell though. I put aroma oil on the edges!

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
You guys know nothing. Don't you watch TV? Everybody knows aliens enter your body through your mouth and these people are throwing the monsters off their game by hiding their mouths altogether.

Smart move Japan, smart move.

They don't prevent you from catching a cold.

Actually they can help, but not how you would normally think. Most of the viruses you get first into your hands by touching doorknobs and whatnot. Then you spread it to your body by touching your mouth or eyes.

Mask prevents you touching your face and thus makes it harder to get inflected.

touching doorknobs and whatnot

Considering how the average Japanese person does not wash their hands after using the toilet, I avoid touching damn near anything in public spaces.

Then you spread it to your body by touching your mouth or eyes.

I dunno, my mom taught me not to suck my thump, put fingers in my nose or eyes. Maybe she was unusual about this....

It mentally work for me usually, over years.
Take two sugar pills and call me in the morning. Same placebo effect.

You didnt get sick from some random coughing guy while you weren't wearing a mask. You got sick because of general constant exposure to bacteria and viruses. You eat out? You touch door handles at work? Rub your nose or eyes afterwards? Been stressed or tired lately as well? Poor diet lately? Thats why you got sick.

I guess guys don't care, when someone catches cold, who rarely catches cold :( I wish someone had said, oh, hope you'll get well soon! Noone said that to me...:(

Anyway,.just bragging abt your knowledge is such a poor thing. Maybe that's why I don't get much chance from locals. Mostly visitors, and I'm fine with that. I'm the one who hardly catch cold over years, and caught cold and getting rapidly better now.

I care for guys who care abt how others think, rather than looking down on peops in what they believe that truely works. Not just mask works but with all other wit.

Disappointing.

Last edited:
They don't prevent you from catching a cold. Those masks can not filter out bacteria or viruses. Not at all, even if it says so on the package.

Oh, it does say on packages that you can filter bacterias. Surprisingly, you never seen those? Maybe doesn't mention can prevent from, but better than accepting germed air bad coughers near by and hike up chances to catch a cold. And perfectly works to me! Sorry, I'm against your opinion.

Last edited:
Wow..surprised I serious post turned into. @Yuriko ..hope u feel better.

As I walk around Tokyo, especially in the train stations, I 'fall in love' every 20 second with each cute girl/woman I see...blown away

Then there are girls with the masks and I wonder.... hmm.. I wonder what she looks like..

Was just sharing that in my post...

Related note to the guys....I consider walking around in places like Shibuya to be like foreplay before the main event of p4p...

I guess guys don't care, when someone catches cold, who rarely catches cold :( I wish someone had said, oh, hope you'll get well soon! Noone said that to me...:(

Anyway,.just bragging abt your knowledge is such a poor thing. Maybe that's why I don't get much chance from locals. Mostly visitors, and I'm fine with that. I'm the one who hardly catch cold over years, and caught cold and getting rapidly better now.

I care for guys who care abt how others think, rather than looking down on peops in what they believe that truely works. Not just mask works but with all other wit.

Disappointing.

Don't take everything here so serious ;) It's still a forum with different opinions and experiences.

I also thought I don't get influenza because I didn't catch it since I was a child. And this year it got me pretty hard in February. Wearing a mask can definitely not pretend everything from entering your body.
Besides that, it's actually good if your body comes in contact with different kind of bacteria and viruses so your immune system knows it and can do something against it before you really get sick.

Also, don't believe everything what is printed on a package. Of course they want you to believe that. It's their marketing. Otherwise people wouldn't buy it.

Get well soon.

The weather atm changes from quite cold to warm days on a daily basis. That's prime conditions for catching a cold.
I recently caught one because of that sneaky air condition on Shinkansen trains. Had I not fallen asleep right after taking my seat I would probably have noticed the constant stream of unnecessary cold air ;)

@Yuriko
Get well. If you are happy with your belief, wear a mask ;)

There is a reason that they are called medical masks! It is because they because they are worn the world over by professional medical personnel, doctors and nurses etc, to reduce their risks of catching or spreading germs of various sorts.

Are they prefect protection? No, definitely not. Do they provide some protection? Yes, they definitely do.

It is true that individual bacteria and viruses are small enough to easily pass through (most of) the masks, but they are fairly effective in stopping the aerosol spray of tiny fluid droplets which people produce when they cough and sneeze...and to some extent just by breathing. These aerosols contain many germs, including many that cannot survive in the open air.

@MikeH is correct that they also tend to prevent you from spreading germs to/from your mouth, nose and eyes with your hands.

-Ww