Guest viewing is limited

Nampa on Japanese women overseas

NYCDominantGuy

TAG Member
Reaction score
I just discovered this site and it’s a real education, to be sure. I’m learning a ton already.

My first question has to do with Nampa on Japanese women who are traveling (not living) abroad. It always struck me that being far from daily life would cause some to develop an extra sense of adventure. And it’s easy enough to find them - here in NYC you can just head to any museum and they are everywhere.

The question is: approach in Japanese (I’m fluent) or English, and let it come out later that I speak Japanese. I could see advantages to either, but I wanted some experience shares from others. What’s the best approach?

Definitely approach in Japanese.
What makes you stand out over any other guy if you don’t?

Back in the day, when I returned from Japan, there weren’t a lot of white guys who could speak Japanese well, and the word was that Japanese women were very suspicious and defensive when approached in Japanese. Maybe that’s not true anymore?

I think a good aproach in Japanese would be best. As long as you don't come across as some anime freak with a Japanese fetish I don't think they will be suspicious or defensive. As Alice implied, it's what would set you apart.

I think a good aproach in Japanese would be best. As long as you don't come across as some anime freak with a Japanese fetish I don't think they will be suspicious or defensive. As Alice implied, it's what would set you apart.

Not much danger of that since I’m pushing 50. More likely they’ll think I’m some lecherous old guy. (Which I am, but I’m adept at hiding that. I come across as gentlemanly and sincere.)

Japanese works best, if you have experience living in Japan then they'll probably enjoy having some common ground to talk about. I don't think being older is much of an issue, if you come off as experienced and worldly then you're probably a better option than the hardcore yellow fever guys that approach overseas Asian students and tourists daily and inflict their stereotypes on them.

I know that a typical Japanese tourist's schedule is pretty much packed - from a popular bagle place early in the morning to a Broadway musical at night. They are usually cautious against anyone or anything that could hamper their itinerary. You may want to try out somewhere like Astoria or Woodside where many young Japanese live - some of them are long-staying tourists or short-term language students "being far from daily life would cause some to develop an extra sense of adventure." I think you can approach them in Japanese.

I know that a typical Japanese tourist's schedule is pretty much packed - from a popular bagle place early in the morning to a Broadway musical at night. They are usually cautious against anyone or anything that could hamper their itinerary. You may want to try out somewhere like Astoria or Woodside where many young Japanese live - some of them are long-staying tourists or short-term language students "being far from daily life would cause some to develop an extra sense of adventure." I think you can approach them in Japanese.

Some good points here. I hear ya about the packed schedule.

I’m more in the mood for 35 year old sex starved housewives in New York to escape from the husband for a week. Too many eyes in the Japanese enclaves in New York, if you catch my drift. So I need to stick to the tourist spots where there is less chance of being spotted by someone who knows me.

I say talk in English. Their goal for traveling is to improve their English. Talk about the cool places in NYC that only locals know about but also mention you spent time in Japan so it’s not a surprise.

Any other tips in general on the topic? Even independent of the language issue. Has anyone had any success picking up Japanese women for one night stands overseas? What worked? What didnt?

I just discovered this site and it’s a real education, to be sure. I’m learning a ton already.

My first question has to do with Nampa on Japanese women who are traveling (not living) abroad. It always struck me that being far from daily life would cause some to develop an extra sense of adventure. And it’s easy enough to find them - here in NYC you can just head to any museum and they are everywhere.

The question is: approach in Japanese (I’m fluent) or English, and let it come out later that I speak Japanese. I could see advantages to either, but I wanted some experience shares from others. What’s the best approach?

Maybe just try both approaches to see what works best? imho I'd think Japanese would be the better choice though.

I say talk in English. Their goal for traveling is to improve their English. Talk about the cool places in NYC that only locals know about but also mention you spent time in Japan so it’s not a surprise.

I agree. Approaching them in japanese in an english speaking country is kinda weird. They might think you have yellow fever or you're an otaku. Japanese women are well aware that some foreigners are interested in Japan because of manga/anime culture so they might unconsciously put you in that bracket. By approaching them in english you can always impress them later with your japanese language skills or keep it secret. If they don't speak english at all sure go ahead and use japanese.

They might think you have yellow fever or you're an otaku. Japanese women are well aware that some foreigners are interested in Japan because of manga/anime culture so they might unconsciously put you in that bracket.

I personally don't think it's that cut and dry, especially with girls interested in English, going abroad or foreigners. I think you are right that the stereotype is there, I've had Japanese people complain about disliking otaku foreigners, but in my experience most(not all of course) seem open minded about it if you're a normal person and treat them as such too. And if they aren't it's unlikely you would be able to get very close to them later on anyway.

Reactions: NYCDominantGuy
I personally don't think it's that cut and dry.

You're right it isn't hence I used the word 'might' two times in my post. Nanpa is all about maximizing your chances so no need to potentially lower it. Using japanese for your approach creates curiosity wich is good but it doesn't create attraction (this is what we're going for after all). Better keep your japanese language skills as an ace up in your sleeve to keep her hooked and prevent a conversation from dying IMO.

Also if she's a tourist she's likely with her japanese friend(s) so if they don't know you speak japanese it can create very funny situations :) If she is giggling with her friend you can playfully call her out "Hey you're not gossiping about me right?" in japanese with a smile etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYCDominantGuy
I've had Japanese people complain about disliking otaku foreigners
In my hyper otaku days, i had a profile on a certain language exchanf site and a J guy with a “i hate foreign otaku messaging me” profile messaged me first.
When i asked him why he messaged me because i was obviously an otaku from my profile, he answered like “yeah, but you are cute, lol”
So those things are very relative.

In my hyper otaku days, i had a profile on a certain language exchanf site and a J guy with a “i hate foreign otaku messaging me” profile messaged me first.
When i asked him why he messaged me because i was obviously an otaku from my profile, he answered like “yeah, but you are cute, lol”
So those things are very relative.

Being attractive and an otaku is a big difference from being ugly and an otaku that's true. There is also different types of foreign otaku, some are more ignorant and obnoxious but many blend in quite well and don't annoy people as much. I've had girls in Japan who kinda cringe at my anime and video game tattoos but they'll still happily sleep with me after seeing them. After a couple of times they'll start reasoning "Well the artwork is really well done so I don't mind these" even if they'll still say they hate all that otaku stuff.

People are pretty flexible with their tastes when it comes between them and what they want.

I agree. Approaching them in japanese in an english speaking country is kinda weird. They might think you have yellow fever or you're an otaku. Japanese women are well aware that some foreigners are interested in Japan because of manga/anime culture so they might unconsciously put you in that bracket. By approaching them in english you can always impress them later with your japanese language skills or keep it secret. If they don't speak english at all sure go ahead and use japanese.
I think this approach makes sense.

I’ve also had a few occasions when I have not been trying to pick anyone up where I’ve noticed a Japanese woman who seems kind of lost, and when I approach them in Japanese they seem very relieved and happy. But intruding while she’s looking at something in a museum might not be as well received in English.

Believe it or not, I see quite a few Japanese women on their own in New York museums. They’re not all traveling in groups.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland