Guest viewing is limited

Need advice for May 2018

In Tokyo visit: Shinjuku & Akihabara, especially a visit to M’s.

Is there anything like storage spaces in Tokyo? Thinking it might be easier to leave luggage for the cruise there than travel with it.

I would also like to know what renting a car would be like, as well as possibly renting a phone with GPS for the week.

Shouldn't be there long, drive over from Kyoto, spend the night, get up to go to the onsen for sunrise, then back to Tokyo for a couple days.
Short skirts OK for Tokyo or would a sweater be better? I enjoy her showing off, but she doesn't enjoy it as much if she is cold.
Also, how much can she get away with showing off?

OK, a question, what about driving from Tokyo to the 5 lakes region of Fuji Saturday or Sunday (still figuring out if we are flying in on Sat or Sun) and then back the next day on the first weekend of GW?

Akiba is fun, M's is actually in a few places as well. But the Polaroids are fun to look at too. There are also interesting things to look at around there area too.

As others said driving isn't really recommended. However I have done the driver to the five lakes area. Which actually wasn't bad if you're not going during the peak travel (rush hour) times. It's also nice to have s car to drive between there different lake areas.

Do keep this in mind if you want to drive make sure to get an international driver's permit, which is a translation of your driver's license, in the US you can get it through AAA.

As for your luggage, I am going to assume at the very least the night before you embark on your cruise you will be staying at a hotel. Check with your hotel, most hotels will hold luggage for guests that have a future reservation as people do land and want to explore but not being everything with them. You may even be able to use the a luggage shipping service at the airport. Just call the hotel and they can let you know. Most likely if they allow it you will want to indicate what your arrival date for check-in is on your luggage and the name on the reservation.

Reactions: DJnLJ
Welcome to TAG.

Love it that you've done a little research and are planning enough ahead of time.

Listen to those folks when they tell you not to drive from Tokyo to Kyoto under any circumstances-been there, done that. Take the Shinkansen-it's the best use of your time.

Have you seen the Onsen Adventures thread?

https://tokyoadultguide.com/threads/onsen-adventures.10692/

My advice is to try Takaragawa Onsen, very gaijin friendly and stunning. I like Amagiso, as well, and Izu Peninsula is great!

Tell me how much is the most time you will be here before the cruise and where does the cruise leave from?

I'll give this a bit of further thought after your response.

Roots, TAG has been extremely helpful for research.
I did decide to ditch most driving, going to be moving around the Yamanashi region and Mt Fuji for a day so renting a car there, but otherwise sticking to the train on advice here. The Onsen thread led me to choose Takaragawa, although it was very split between there and Amagiso, Takaragawa won because of location.

Current plans are to arrive on the 28th of May, store most of our luggage in Tokyo and head to Yamanashi to watch the sun come up over Fuji on the 29th. Plan to be in Hottarakashi Onsen for sunrise, then hit a couple of spots for viewing Fuji and drive up to the 5th station before heading to catch the train to Kyoto. Spend all day Monday and early Tuesday in Kyoto then to Takaragawa. Wednesday night watch the Yotaka Matsuri festival battle and then head to Tokyo Thursday.
We leave Sunday late afternoon on the cruise ship so time to get a decent sampling of Tokyo.

I expect my wife to love Japan and want to return, even though it has taken me this long to get her to go at all. Biggest problem for us is being on the East coast of the US, easier to go to Europe, and MUCH easier to go to the Carib and central America since we live in FL.

Your plans sound great!

Now, you just need to fill in the little details, what to see, where to eat-don't neglect that one, and so on.

I'm sure TAG regulars can help you with that. I'll do what I can.

If there is any way for your digital devices, smart phone, to be connected, download a language translating app.

When I was in the hospital, I used SayHi and it massively helped me communicate with folks in a "local area" hospital that did not have many English speakers. I still use it with my physical therapist every week.

https://www.sayhitranslate.com/

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Hotels we actually have all set up. Mainly because helpful people pointed out that it was Golden Week and room would book fast. Since we are going without vehicles I also wanted to make sure we were close to transit. While I don't have an issue with walking all over, the wife is more of a "need to know how to get around" type and without language I didn't want her feeling trapped somehow.

BTW, anyone ever hear of or use Ili, the language translator thing?

BTW, anyone ever hear of or use Ili, the language translator thing?

I generally use google, it's not the best but it's convenient. I find that as doing as I can get the gist of what is written then I can figure out the rest. As for speaking it does have a "conversation" where it listens for both languages and translates. You can also download the language dictionary so it doesn't rely on data as much. Photo/camera scanning is good for labels and menus etc.

Though a really good piece of advice is if you can, learn the Katakana characters, it will help as most words borrowed from foreign languages will be in katakana firm and you can figure out their counterpart. Other than that just keep in mind that body language is usually 70% of communication (don't quite new in that percentage ;-))

Oh and google maps is actually more convenient than must people realize as it does give train routes with point to point directions (apple maps does as well).

If you want to have data on your phones while traveling there are many options as well, pm me if you want me info on that as depending on what you have or are looking for the answers are different.

OK, think I have everything but Tokyo settled.
Staying in Isawa on Saturday night so we can be in the Hattarakashi Konyoku onsen to watch the sun come up over Fuji Sunday morning. A bit of sightseeing Sunday morning in the Fuji area and then a train to Kyoto.
Gion Sunday night. Aramashi Bamboo Gardens, Nijo Castle, Tozando & Artisugu, Nishiki market, Kiyomizu-Dera for sunsent, then some of the scenic streets and a stroll down the Kamogawa riverbank on Monday. Tuesday morning see the Fushimi Inari shrine and catch a train to Tokaragawa Onsen.
Wednesday night in Tonami for the Yotaka Matsuri floating battle, then Matsumoto Castle on Thursday before getting in to Tokyo.
We will be in Tokyo Thursday night, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning before heading over to Yokohama in the afternoon on the 6th.

Definitely planning a trip to M's, Bliss if we can get in, the Robot Bar, the Fuji Matsuri @ Kameido Tenjon Shrine, and Golden Gai. Plus general sight seeing stuff.

Anyone have any advice for fun things? No children with us, and temperature would be the only thing that would cause her to not be in as skimpy as she can get away with clothing.

Based on info (a lot form here) I already have JR Passes (got Green Car since it is Golden Week) and phone SIM cards for both data and voice. Planing on getting a SUICA card when we get there.

Reactions: roots reggae
Make sure that your phones are unlocked and can be used in Japan (all the latest iphones are compatible here).

I'm sure a couple of members here have experience with the happening bars and can probably help you with that.

Akiba has some fun stuff but depends on what you are into. There are a couple of Ms but I think the Akiba one is main I've seen another one that gets mentioned a few times too.

You may want to look into a quick pass to Odaiba, I just like the view, also they have a new Giant Gundam there. The standard Shibuya, Ginza and Shinjuku/Kabukicho. What are your plans in Yokohama?

How many days is your JR Pass for? And how many days are you in Japan for, also how long is your cruise?

No plans for Yokohama, just where the port is for the ship.
The JR Pass is 7 days, figure just pay regular after that with the Suica card.
We arrive on April 28 and leave on the ship Mar 6. Stops in Shimizu, Aomori, Hakodate, and Sapporo. Then off to Russia and over to Alaska.

What else is in Odaiba, and do you have to pay just to go there? I saw the giant Gundam and thought that would make for a pretty cool picture, Gundam Wing is one of the few anime that the wife really enjoyed.
We are staying in Shinjuku, but getting around by train doesn't seem like it will be much of an issue.

No plans for Yokohama, just where the port is for the ship.

What else is in Odaiba, and do you have to pay just to go there? I saw the giant Gundam and thought that would make for a pretty cool picture, Gundam Wing is one of the few anime that the wife really enjoyed.
We are staying in Shinjuku, but getting around by train doesn't seem like it will be much of an issue.

I see most likely you'll port in Yamashita Koen area, that's seems to be where the cruise ships dock in Yokohama. That area is nice, Aka Renta is a converted warehouse made into shopping area buts mostly outdoor anesthetics and nature in that area. There is the Cup Noodle Museum nearby, it's a small museum, but you can design your own cup Noodle and make your own chicken Ramen if there are spaces available and that's within walking distance. If you travel around a little you can see some historic spots like Commodore Perry's first contact area that basically opened up Japan to the western world with his "black ships"

Odaiba is mostly shopping, though fuji television is there and sometimes they have events going on, I think you'll be a month early for the Anime event they do though. You do get a great view of rainbow bridge, which lights in rainbow colors for special occasions. There's the mini statue of liberty that I think is part of a love hotel, and a statue i call the Golden joint because it looks like a rolled joint.

If you're into cars or engineering, Odaiba also has Toyota Mega Web.
(yeah, its basically an ad for Toyota, but they have some cool stuff there.)

If you're into cars or engineering, Odaiba also has Toyota Mega Web.
(yeah, its basically an ad for Toyota, but they have some cool stuff there.)

Oh right and one of Nissan's headquarters are in Yokohama too which has a large showroom of their cars as well.

Reactions: jhingy567
It will be too cold to hike Mt Fuji, but if you want some beautiful photos of Fuji, you can check out the Fuji 5 Lakes area or Yui town in Shizuoka prefecture.

You can get photos with a reflection of Mt Fuji in Lake Kawaguchi and Mt Fuji in the background.

Yui is a small place but it has the famous view of Fuji during sakura ebi harvesting season, so the ground has a beautiful pink look to it and it is near the seaside with fresh seafood.

For Tokyo we will be staying in Shinjuku, headed over to Yokohama the day we depart.
Was thinking Odaiba on the way to Yokohama, we don't have to board until around 3-4pm, or do you think it would be better to do in the evening?
We are planning to stay in Isawa our first night and watch the sun come up over Fuji, then drive to Churieto Pagoda, Oshino Hakkai, and Subaru 5th station before catching a train to Kyoto.
We will be in Shimizu as part of the cruise and we were thinking drive to Fujinoyama 5th station and then hike to the summit of Hoeizan. It looks like a pretty flat climb and a lot of it should be protected by the crater.

For Tokyo we will be staying in Shinjuku, headed over to Yokohama the day we depart.
Was thinking Odaiba on the way to Yokohama, we don't have to board until around 3-4pm, or do you think it would be better to do in the evening?

Hmm it may be a bit tight to do both Odaiba and Yokohama if you want to see both. If you don't have anything planned for Yokohama I think it would be fine but it also depends on what you want to do in Odaiba, if you just want to see the Gundam and rainbow bridge then you can do that within 30 minutes and get going. The day and night views are different in Odaiba I personally like the evening view, Sunset is nice.

Of and don't forget you will need the international drivers permit which translates your drivers license. And it's left side driving here, if you can find a quick reference, look up the road signs, Japan is still somewhat different from international standards (the stop sign is an upside down triangle not an octagon here).

And it's left side driving here, if you can find a quick reference, look up the road signs, Japan is still somewhat different from international standards (the stop sign is an upside down triangle not an octagon here).

Now THAT was very good info. I drive outside the US often so no issue there, and no issue with left handed, but had no idea they used different traffic signs. Will definitely look those up.

Really not planning anything for Yokohama, and never enough time to see everything in Tokyo. So trying to see what sorts of things will be best for us with the time allowed. Figured we would have lunch at Gundam if we do that before heading over to get on the ship.

How are you planning to get to Yokohama? I don't think odaiba is the most convenient place with luggage.

Most likely use the trains to get around. I only plan to rent cars for those times public transit just isn't running the way I need it to.
We will probably store the luggage someplace for the day and then pick it back up before heading to the port. We are planning to leave the bulk of our luggage in Tokyo while we travel around the first half of the week, so possibly the same service.

Now THAT was very good info. I drive outside the US often so no issue there, and no issue with left handed, but had no idea they used different traffic signs. Will definitely look those up.

Really not planning anything for Yokohama, and never enough time to see everything in Tokyo. So trying to see what sorts of things will be best for us with the time allowed. Figured we would have lunch at Gundam if we do that before heading over to get on the ship.

Haha you can buy me a beer when you come over for saving you from entering a wrong street. Jk

I've never been to the Gundam Cafe but the menu never impressed me at all, sandwiches and curry IIRC. There's so many better gourmet options especially for short trips. There's also a Gundam Cafe in Akiba.

Regarding luggage Odaiba does have coin lockers, the large ones though are gonna be hard to get. The largest sue though probably only fits a medium case at most.

After seeing their stop signs you earned that beer.
I was thinking more of a luggage storage company. That is what we are planning on doing with it for the few days we have traveling around Japan before Tokyo. Haven't really looked where yet, since I figure we can always store it at the same place at Shinjuku Station if need be.

After seeing their stop signs you earned that beer.
HAHA glad it helped you.

I was thinking more of a luggage storage company. That is what we are planning on doing with it for the few days we have traveling around Japan before Tokyo. Haven't really looked where yet, since I figure we can always store it at the same place at Shinjuku Station if need be.
I was thinking more your luggage you plan to bring with you on the cruise. There's a website i think that tells you about lockers. For longer storage I think the major stations have companies, I know Tokyo and shibuya stations have one each.

Yeah, the luggage we are bringing is large, plus small backpack sized pieces. We plan to drop the large cases at the Shinjuku station Sagawa Service Center on Saturday and pick them back up on Thursday. Was thinking drop them off Sunday morning and pick them back up before heading to the port in Yokohama. Google says about an hour and a half by train and we don't need to be there until around 4ish.

Yeah, the luggage we are bringing is large, plus small backpack sized pieces. We plan to drop the large cases at the Shinjuku station Sagawa Service Center on Saturday and pick them back up on Thursday. Was thinking drop them off Sunday morning and pick them back up before heading to the port in Yokohama. Google says about an hour and a half by train and we don't need to be there until around 4ish.

An hour and a half? from where? If you only have small pieces like a backpack then I'd recommend just using a coin locker it's more convenient and small lockers are easy to find which can handle backpacks.