Guest viewing is limited

Need some recommendations

Doggyfong

TAG Member
Reaction score
For food :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Since my next trip is kinda long and I have lots of travel time, looking for places with good food.
Or I might just go enter a random restaurant and order just whatever again.
Yes, there are many sites that do recommendations, but those places are usually hyped up.
I want things that "normal tourists" won't go for.

• Haha
Reactions: TAG Manager
whenever my friends asked for recommendation, I always say, famires. that is how clueless I am with local food.

but yeah matsuya massaman curry is great.

you know what local like me do?
at 1 station : open google map and find nearest restaurants and sort it by rating.

yakiniku like is also unique experience like ichiran.

Reactions: water4choc
If you like spicy food, this place is heaven:

GINGER GRASS modern thai vietnamese Shinjuku
https://g.co/kgs/LUnYD4

Went there a few days ago and had the best Tom Yum soup ever. The dessert and cocktails are also good. Prices are very reasonable too.

Reactions: Alice and Sudsy
Don't line up for Ichiran. Go eat there once if you want though.
Have tried Ichiran, it isn't as good as it was hyped up to be...

whenever my friends asked for recommendation, I always say, famires. that is how clueless I am with local food.

but yeah matsuya massaman curry is great.

you know what local like me do?
at 1 station : open google map and find nearest restaurants and sort it by rating.

yakiniku like is also unique experience like ichiran.
I prefer to research and see if anything suits my tastes and if it is worth the queue
Been browsing through those foodie accounts on tiktok, found some things worth trying

Yakiniku Like, not bad, portions are fine, but for the price you probably can find a cheap all you can eat somewhere
Speaking of yakiniku, i am missing umatarou... i want me some horse meat

If you like spicy food, this place is heaven:

GINGER GRASS modern thai vietnamese Shinjuku
https://g.co/kgs/LUnYD4

Went there a few days ago and had the best Tom Yum soup ever. The dessert and cocktails are also good. Prices are very reasonable too.
Was thinking more of Japanese fare, Thai food outside of Thailand is usually overpriced but will add to my list if I ever want some

Anyways i love this store https://twitter.com/takakara_hawks
All you can eat karaage for ordering any set meal from 800-1k yen
1698749342729.png

Reactions: Yuzu and Alice
Check Ramen Adventures on Youtube, tons of great places that are not well known to the tourist hordes.

Check Ramen Adventures on Youtube, tons of great places that are not well known to the tourist hordes.
Just watched some of his stuff, lots of good ramens and recommendations!

Don't line up for Ichiran. Go eat there once if you want though.
I asked one of my friends about Ichiran and he said 一蘭は外国の人しかいないレベルだけど(only people that go there are foreigners). Seems like most of the reccs I got were mom and pop shops

• Haha
Reactions: Alice and Doggyfong
Fuku no Ki in Sapporo, and Harvester in Yakumo if you’re coming in the winter. The former has a wonderful-and-rare tomato-based ramen, the latter has the most delicious fried chicken you can find overlooking a spacious farm. Don’t see either of them a lot in food guides (especially since the latter is quite far from civilization), but can highly recommend both of them

Reactions: Doggyfong
I asked one of my friends about Ichiran and he said 一蘭は外国の人しかいないレベルだけど(only people that go there are foreigners). Seems like most of the reccs I got were mom and pop shops
maybe because the price is too high for local.

It’s the branding, a household name. Everyone knows it.

You can find a nice handmade bag at some random shop, but it will always be compared to LV or Gucci or etc.

Reactions: Alice

Lol.....it is for sure not the price. It is just super bland and mediocre ramen....locals will always prefer smaller shops that do everything themselves instead of heating up packages that were produced in a factory.

..... a stupid tip that maybe doesn't work for the soapland districts, but if you booked a girl in the crowded parts of town: ask them if they know any good places in the vicinity to get something to eat. They know the area and I have gotten some recommendations for ramen places I wouldn't have tried myself this way.

not going to start ramen war.
I was referring to how local perceive ramen must be inexpensive to the points many restaurant struggling because they dont want to increase the price.

this is one of snippets of conversation that I read online
近所(西区)にある「安全食堂」

普通の豚骨ラーメン。

美味しくて繁盛してますよ。

都心からは離れてますけどね。

一蘭がことさら不味いとは思わないけど、福岡の人間はラーメンに600円以上はあまり出したくないんですよ。

福岡で一蘭は「観光客向けのぼったくりラーメン」という認識です。
but yeah I haven't made much ramen adventures yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Doggyfong
Honestly, I just go to any ramen place that has a line of locals.

Rather than a restaurant ill recommend just find a place with mazesoba, so good

You can get Mazesoba at a lot of places.......but there are only a few that do it really well.

You can get Mazesoba at a lot of places.......but there are only a few that do it really well.
True I am no connoisseur, and you're probably right but so far i've enjoyed it everywhere I have tried it (only get it at shops that seem to specialize on it though)

Don't have to be a restaurant, heck I would even go for "this guy sells sweet potatoes around X, its the best shit ever"

Reactions: Alice
Don't know where you're staying, but Fukuoka had a lot of good options.

Doesnt really matter where
Can always add it into my list for future reference

Reactions: Icyblu