Guest viewing is limited

New simcard and e-sim for tourists

Karbon

TAG Member
Reaction score
Foreigners arriving in Japan can now buy new "Tourist" simcards (10 Gb, 20 Gb, 50 Gb) at Bic Camera or Yodobashi Camera (and probably other electronic shops).

The sims are only for data. No voice, no text message.

These new sims are valid for 30 days. I don't think they can be topped.

On the contrary to the "old" Iijmio ones, you do not have to give your passport number or name anymore.

Just insert the sim, define the access point in your android phone (they works also on Iphones), reboot a few times and ... it works beautifully.

For those with e-sim, there are also offers for the same amounts of data (10Gb, 20Gb, 50Gb). I have not tried them.

One last word: the Bic Air Camera shop at Haneda is still closed. The easiest way for me was to go to Bic Camera @ Yurakucho.

1682098039583.jpeg

Reactions: Gina
When I looked into e-SIMs for my 3 month-trip because I didn't want to carry around a second phone or wireless router around, I found Holafly (https://esim.holafly.com/esim-japan/). Unlimited data plan (reduced speeds if you spend your days watching videos), customer service was great, but most importantly prices were the best I could find for unlimited data: the 3-month plan cost me around $90.

Two caveats though:
  • No data sharing so if you bring a computer or tablet you'll rely on Wi-Fi
  • Provider seems to be from HK so some Japan-only websites like the JAF Driving Licence translation website (cough and CH cough) will break.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Karbon
I recommend Sakura Mobile, unlimited data, great speed (even in areas outside of the main city) and decent rates for the two weeks I was staying in Japan. Bought it online before I went to Japan and they have it ready for you at your desired airport and time as soon as you arrive. They have great customer service as well- there was one day the data was really slow for some reason, emailed them and they immediately sent me a brand new 15-day one the next day! Didn't end up using it because the first SIM went back to normal.

Reactions: Karbon
If you live in the US, some data providers like T-Mobile have plans that qualify for free international data and texting for 5GB and then reduced speed. Calls are charged by the minute. It's what I'll be using during my time there and in SK. Won't need data for my laptop and such without being at my hotel or ryokan anyways.

You can find a Nippon Sim of 135 Gb for 90 days for a cost of 12980 yen at Bic Camera (there is also 15 Gb for 90 days at 4980 yen).

No voice calls, no text message.

I have no experience of the Nippon Sim though.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr21
If you live in the US, some data providers like T-Mobile have plans that qualify for free international data and texting for 5GB and then reduced speed. Calls are charged by the minute. It's what I'll be using during my time there and in SK. Won't need data for my laptop and such without being at my hotel or ryokan anyways.

I wouldn't recommend it, especially as a T-Mobile user. Had to transfer from a traditionally prepaid plan to a contract tripling my phone bill in order to get it. Only to find out I can just use wifi calling/whatsapp.

Someone recommended me this app:

https://www.airalo.com/

It's probably not the cheapest one, but it seems much more convenient than dealing with SIM cards.
I've heard about this one as well. The only downside is that it seems to route your traffic from Singapore.
No real issue using it as far as I know, just that oddity when trying to access Japan specific sites that are geoblocked to Japan only.

Reactions: Ddddd

It's probably not the cheapest one, but it seems much more convenient than dealing with SIM cards.

I used airalo on my last trip to Japan as well, definitely usable, although I did encounter some issues with the 4G. Sometimes it would just give me 4G with 4 bars but it wouldn't load anything at all.

Sometimes it would just give me 4G with 4 bars but it wouldn't load anything at all.
I believe its not an issue with the ISP, might be the area.
But a fix is to switch to 3G, yes its weird but it works.

Happened to me at a restaurant in Shinjuku. After leaving the building, 4G suddenly works again.
And at Big Sight, same thing happened in there.
Both situations I tried switching to 3G and everything works, left the place switched back to 4G.
Don't ask me why, I have no idea how this shit works.

Was using this sim btw
Got this for my previous trip
IIRC should be 5k yen

View attachment 21170

I've used Airalo in 15+ countries now I really like it. I think it has to be subsidized from some investment firms or something because it seems too cheap.

Previously I relied on free international data with google fi, but when you leave the US for more than 90 days they shut that off, and thats when I found airalo. I will say if you are a high data user it might not work for you, but I only use data for maps and reddit mostly.

Google fi keeps my phone/texts working, and airalo used as eSIM for data, pretty seamless.