Nosey Japanese hospital staff?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this has happened to me at least three times.

I will go to a hospital or clinic, take a health exam, get the prescription I need and the doctor tells me to return on a certain day.

I will often have important shit related to work come up and I won't be able to make the appointment. My boss is too strict and annoying, so I just go to work sick (unless I'm really sick) to avoid drama from him.

As a result of missing the appointment, I call back and give the Japanese staff my hospital card ID number, my full name and the reason why I am calling...what else do they need?

The nosey lady asks me what my age and job is...why?

I guess my age and birthday are fine as they are used to verify my identity...but why is she asking what work I do?

I told her my job, but it seems like irrelevant information...it always feels like a casual interrogation I get myself into.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

I know, I know don't miss your appointment and this situation won't happen...but still the staff don't need to ask about my job, what my favorite movie is, how many freckles are on my ass, etc.

They're asking a few questions to verify your identity.

This is because they can be sued for releasing personal information about you to a third party.

We've just dealt with a case of that at work - if it's inadvertent, like a computer glitch, it's 20,000 yen a head in compensation. If it's a policy issue or disregard for policy, it can be 10-100 times that amount.

Yeah, what Sudsy said.
Also, in hospital environments it's common practice to ask to make sure they haven't mixed up patients which can have other (worse) consequences besides privacy issues...

In hospitals out of Japan, I've only ever been asked name, address and DOB. Nothing about job.

It is because you are a gaijin and this is their country, not yours. They let you stay here because you are an excellent source of entertainment for them. As such, they want to know as much about your personal life as possible. Its kinda like that movie, The Truman Show. Except you are not Jim Carrey; its not a movie, its real, and its not very funny, is it?

Last edited:
It is because you are a gaijin and this is their country, not yours. They let you stay here because you are an excellent source of entertainment for them. As such, they want to know as much about your personal life as possible. Its kinda like that movie, The Truman Show. Except you are not Jim Carrey; its not a movie, its real, and its not very funny, is it?

Real life is still pretty funny to me. I'm not saying life is a joke but Truth is Stranger than Fiction.

VacantAgileAmberpenshell-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: MikeH
Real life is still pretty funny to me. I'm not saying life is a joke but Truth is Stranger than Fiction.

VacantAgileAmberpenshell-max-1mb.gif
I can tell you manage to find the funny side of the street. I was just empathizing with you as I also, even after all of these years, find myself getting irked when someone asks too many questions.

I was just empathizing with you as I also, even after all of these years, find myself getting irked when someone asks too many questions.

Yeah, the first thought with me is also normally what it has to do with you? But I am trying to limit my frustration and turn it in to a game whenever someone asks me a question that she definitely doesn't need answered.

It makes it way more funny; once in the middle of the night me being pretty drunk a cop, who was probably less drunk, asked me where I am going. I went in to a lengthy explanation of where I was coming from. In the midst of it he totally forgot what he actually asked the begin with. Once a city official asked me which country I am from. I explained him why Americans have so many cats. So he probably marked me down as an American or a cat.

I wouldn't do that with hospital personnel though. At least if they are asking where does it hurt when you pee or something similar.

The "nosey" aspect is common in many ways in Japan........
Some years ago, there was a traffic accident in front of my place that I witnessed. The police, besides asking for my ID and other information, actually asked me what my father did for a living....Dad being US and actually had never set foot in Japan! Knowing this extra, super curious thing about the police here, and them asking stupid questions, I said to the officer, "do you need to know my grandfather's shoe size as well?" Then he just said, "sumimasen....." :)

The "nosey" aspect is common in many ways in Japan........
Some years ago, there was a traffic accident in front of my place that I witnessed. The police, besides asking for my ID and other information, actually asked me what my father did for a living....Dad being US and actually had never set foot in Japan! Knowing this extra, super curious thing about the police here, and them asking stupid questions, I said to the officer, "do you need to know my grandfather's shoe size as well?" Then he just said, "sumimasen....." :)

Did you ask him in Japanese or just in English?

That is hilarious haha!

I've had plenty experience the past few years with Japanese hospitals.

Every single person working in a hospital that I encountered was truly professional and caring. I'm talking everyone; the cleaning lady, the meal lady, the laundry lady, the lab techs, the X-Ray techs, the MRI/CAT Scan techs, the emergency room doctors and nurses, the regular doctors and nurses, everybody in the operating rooms-the last time, over a dozen folks in masks and scrubs, and I really owe the physical therapists-all of them, not just the one helping me. They cheered me on with every new bit of progress I made.

And lots of them asked me personal questions.

I was touched.

Every single person working in a hospital that I encountered was truly professional and caring. I'm talking everyone; the cleaning lady, the meal lady, the laundry lady, the lab techs, the X-Ray techs, the MRI/CAT Scan techs, the emergency room doctors and nurses, the regular doctors and nurses, everybody in the operating rooms-the last time, over a dozen folks in masks and scrubs, and I really owe the physical therapists-all of them, not just the one helping me. They cheered me on with every new bit of progress I made.

I was touched.

Oh I'm sure you were touched...when the nurses gave you sponge baths...

:D(y);)

I was touched.
I am also super impressed with the people who work in the healthcare system here. Some of the docs in private clinics can be a bit questionable, but many are excellent. People who say otherwise have a strange expectation that healthcare here should be just like healthcare back home. It’s different. The way professionals behave is different. Sometimes they aren’t as forthcoming with info as you would like and sometimes they ask too many questions, but this is not really important. The level of training, knowledge and the dedication is what’s important.

very single person working in a hospital that I encountered was truly professional and caring. I'm talking everyone; the cleaning lady, the meal lady, the laundry lady, the lab techs, the X-Ray techs, the MRI/CAT Scan techs, the emergency room doctors and nurses, the regular doctors and nurses, everybody in the operating rooms-the last time, over a dozen folks in masks and scrubs, and I really owe the physical therapists-all of them, not just the one helping me. They cheered me on with every new bit of progress I made.

That's generally been my experience as well. My favourite to date has been the CT-scan tech from the uni hospital I go to. Competent, professional, and a great sense of humour.

I am also super impressed with the people who work in the healthcare system here. Some of the docs in private clinics can be a bit questionable, but many are excellent. People who say otherwise have a strange expectation that healthcare here should be just like healthcare back home. It’s different. The way professionals behave is different. Sometimes they aren’t as forthcoming with info as you would like and sometimes they ask too many questions, but this is not really important. The level of training, knowledge and the dedication is what’s important.

I always found it funny that they trip out if you ask them "too many questions" even if it is directly related to my health issue at the time, but then will have no problem asking random questions that are completely irrelevant lol.

At least, the healthcare system in general is pretty good.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland