Philippine pubs

usualblue

TAG Member
Reaction score
Never been but interested in checking one out. How does it work? Any recommendations? Warnings on which ones to avoid? Thanks!

Reactions: akasam
No idea about which ones to avoid, not much intel on that part.

But, the basic system is usually that you pay for a set amount of time and you'll also pay for whatever drinks or food you order which they'll push you to order. A typical 2 hour session with some drinks and food in a md-level pub can easily run 25,000 yen. (you'll get at least one girl and she may rotate off to another client who may come in.)

Many have nomihodai (for the customers at least) and can be reasonably cheap if you watch your bill.
One thing i would NOT do is exchange contact information with the ladies and keeping in touch with them. Those particular girls are quite famous for the "please borrow me money because my mother's cow is sick" stories.

What actually happens in these pubs? Just friendly conversation?

What actually happens in these pubs? Just friendly conversation?
Yep. Girls chat with, take care of your drinks etc. There's also Karaoke and stuff like that.
They also have different outfits for different days of the week... some nights are short skirts, some nights are evening gown, etc.

In somewhat of a response to Alice above, I actually knew a girl that was working in one of these pubs in Nishi-Kasai.
She was previously married to a Japanese man, but they divorced and she was taking care of her two daughters on her own. She was working for a hotel on a cleaning staff and doing the pub a few nights here and there to help make ends meet. Her girls were 10 and 7 at the time... she worked pretty hard and didn't want a handout.

The prices are more like 3000 yen/hour in suburban ones, 4000yen or so in central Tokyo. That includes free watered down whiskey or shochu and random female conversation, you'll be encouraged to buy a lady drink but it's not necessary. Karaoke is charged IIRC 100 yen per song. I've only been to places where I was introduced so I can't judge how safe they are from being ripped off.

Gold in Kabukicho over the road from Seibu Shinjuku station is reliable. Ask for an explanation of the system.
https://goo.gl/maps/7C3e6wFWNY12

I've only been to places where I was introduced so I can't judge how safe they are from being ripped off.

Not a Philippine pub but I once went to a similar Japanese establishment with a friend who told me he hasn't been there for a over a year but used to be a frequent visitor. And at least the latter part must have been true cos everyone greeted him with his name. :eek:

Against my expectations they were running a very clean shop. Every time when our time was ending the doorman came to us and discreetly whispered "guys, it's going to be time up; this far your bill is X yens. Would you like to extend or call it a night?". Have to say I was pleasantly surprised but although good time was had by all the services were still nothing to make me a repeater.

Many have nomihodai (for the customers at least) and can be reasonably cheap if you watch your bill.
One thing i would NOT do is exchange contact information with the ladies and keeping in touch with them. Those particular girls are quite famous for the "please borrow me money because my mother's cow is sick" stories.

yes that totally happen to me, I never met the girl.

got her contact from tinder, we just exchange some message and just few days before I knew she was leaving japan for good, I got the sick father message ( with picture of the father on the hospital's bed ) asking for money....

yeah right... wait for it

Thanks for the info, everyone!

There was a tiny Philippine owned and staffed place (now closed) out in suburbs that I used to pop into a few times per month. It called itself a “restobar,” and always had a couple of “hot-enough” Filipinas hanging out to chat, flirt, pour drinks, sing karaoke, etc. No table charge and karaoke was free, but customers were expected to also buy drinks for the woman sitting with them. 1,000 yen for cocktails; 800 yen for bottled beer.

Relaxed, fun place. No illusions and no pressures. Was hoping to find a similar experience. Just not sure what to this type of place is even called. A snack? Philippine pub? Girls bar? Confusing.

An aside:

Got to know the owners (Filipino lesbian couple) to the point where they’d sometimes take me out to other nearby bars after they closed shop and buy ME drinks. They went out of business because one had a gambling problem and apparently kept farting away all the profits.

I got the sick father message ( with picture of the father on the hospital's bed ) asking for money....
Scammer!!! :vomit::( I'm immune to dying/ill/cancer relative stories.

A sick cow, however, might work :oops:
Such a divine creature, content with a life of eating grass. More respectworthy than many humans out there...How can you not feel some sympathy??

Those particular girls are quite famous for the "please borrow me money because my mother's cow is sick" stories.

she worked pretty hard and didn't want a handout.

Pinays can be very loving, hard working, down to earth, proud ... but some have been taught/forced to take advantage ... same as anywhere.

they might really have a sick cow or tamaraw (the preferred beast of burden). you see most of the Filipina's here in JA come from the provinces, poor, minimal education. some sign up as laborers, helpers, some end up as dancers. "cultural dancers" ending up as sex workers.

if OP just wants to try out bars ... there's a bar at Golden Gai IIRC ... Champion is the name I think. i doubt it's P4P but you might bump into some Pinays there. there's always someone singing on the karaoke.

(note that I myself haven't inside this establishment, i just notice it when I walk around the area)

Scammer!!! :vomit::( I'm immune to dying/ill/cancer relative stories.

Such a divine creature, content with a life of eating grass. More respectworthy than many humans out there...How can you not feel some sympathy??

Yeah I would probably fall for the sick cow thing too. I'm so gullible anyway :(

Reactions: librelu
Pinays can be very loving, hard working, down to earth, proud ... but some have been taught/forced to take advantage ... same as anywhere.

they might really have a sick cow or tamaraw (the preferred beast of burden). you see most of the Filipina's here in JA come from the provinces, poor, minimal education. some sign up as laborers, helpers, some end up as dancers. "cultural dancers" ending up as sex workers.

if OP just wants to try out bars ... there's a bar at Golden Gai IIRC ... Champion is the name I think. i doubt it's P4P but you might bump into some Pinays there. there's always someone singing on the karaoke.

(note that I myself haven't inside this establishment, i just notice it when I walk around the area)

Probably the worst place to have a drink in Golden Gai , but yeah, if that's the purpose...

Yesterday I went with a friend to the one called Popular, owned by a very old "lady" : my friend thought she was the real deal and I was 100% certain she used to be a man, anyways based on the pictures and posters in the bar... he/she used to be some kind of enka or pop songs half-star in the 70s/80s. So we spent about 15mn debating (in French) in front of him/her whether she has a dick or not.
When we left he/she and the two other clients there said how much they enjoyed the beautiful sound of our French conversation :D

When we left he/she and the two other clients there said how much they enjoyed the beautiful sound of our French conversation :D

Two French guys talking enthusiastically about dick. Yeah, what could be more beautiful than that? :p

Back to Philippines pub, has anyone tried Manila Boom Boom in Kabukicho?
Been rejected at entrance once, which is a very low point in my hobby life... a bit like being refused entry to a McDonald I guess.

Reactions: akasam and MikeH

Interesting place. I stop there to get a couple of cheap beers and sing a few songs. Have pulled from there but it was a longggg time ago. Just a karaoke bar

Yup. Same SOP as any of the bars outside the bases on Okinawa when I was there in the 1970's. I learned about that game when I was a teenaged Marine. I'm sure it has its fans.

Ok, here is my 2 cents.

A lot of Filipinas (not all) talk too loud...even when you aren't drowning in music in these type of places.

It is almost like they don't know how to control the volume of their voice. I went to a couple Filipina bars here in Shizuoka and the women would constantly be talking loud as hell into my ear.

They also often freak out and get angry over little misunderstandings about the payment system or bills...they have been unreasonable with me.