Raw Horse Meat

I've had it before, as I tend to be fine eating unusual stuff after a night of drinking. I wasn't blown away by it, other than it being lean as others have described. I wouldn't turn it down, but I also wouldn't go seeking it out again.

Holy crap, I had no idea Japan serves such dishes.. Should be interesting to try :LOL:

Ate it for the first time at a restaurant in Fukuoka after a friend took me there. I didn't expect much but it's great!

Basashi is really good, but it depends on the place. A lot of places that serve it in Tokyo serve cheaper cuts previously frozen very simply like standard sashimi and it isn't too great. A place that does it well and a bit differently is the Okinawan izakaya Dachibin in Koenji. They serve it in a tasty marinade and it's pretty awesome. Soft and tender, fatty and delicious. Amazing meat, and goes well with some quality awamori!

Some client I met at the tea house forced me to eat Basashi once... I did it only to make him satisfied.
I put a lot of garlic on it so didn't taste the meat itself at all.

Basically I don't like any type of minor meat e.g. cow's toungue 牛タン organs ホルモン organ hot pot もつ煮 pigeon, rabbit, deer, bear, wild boar and so on. It is not the taste but image.
That is way more than any serious client could expect from you...

I ate it on a dare and it wasn't all that bad! I am not sure I'd eat it again, but it is no different from rare steak really. As long as it is prepared properly, no worries!