Guest viewing is limited

Relocating to Japan for work

Scooker

TAG Member
Reaction score
Longtime lurker and first time post. I’m relocating to Japan for work in a few weeks, and was just wondering if anybody has heard any experiences, or feedback on how Rakuten is for assisting new comers to Japan, especially when Japanese language level is even more basic than beginner?

For what?

-now I get it. Relocation for new hires.

Last edited:
I've only known one person directly that worked for them and the feedback I remember hearing was that it was a mixed experience.
If they've hired you and you're coming to Japan with limited Japanese ability, they should be aware of that and have plans in place to accommodate your needs, reasonably.

The only other thing I just heard from someone recently was about their push for employees to sign up everyone they know for Rakuten point cards. (Just that it was annoying and kind of a hassle to bug friends and family about getting point cards.)

Well, anyway, I hope get you situated.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Have never worked at Rakuten myself, but met many people (mainly foreigners) who do. It seems to be a very mixed bag in terms of how it is to work there, much seems to depend on what team you are assigned to and your manager. The whole "English as the official company language" is long abandoned, but in your team you should be fine.
Given they hire so many foreign talents every year (retention rate doesn't seem very high) their HR surely is well experienced with helping foreigners moving to Japan to settle in.

I appreciate the replies. I am an experienced technology engineer with close to 10 years experience and am wanting a change of job for a different experience, but am just starting to have some second thoughts recently after reading some concerning issues through the site Glassdoor.

It appears that the company is/has been considered a “black company”? One thing of concern is that I sent HR an email and have yet to receive a true response, even though my request was acknowledged. Perhaps I should take that as some clue in of itself.

It appears that the company is/has been considered a “black company”? One thing of concern is that I sent HR an email and have yet to receive a true response, even though my request was acknowledged. Perhaps I should take that as some clue in of itself.
The upside here is that once you're in Japan, you'll have some status that makes it easier to change jobs. (at least finding one that will carry forward the visa)
If you aren't so much interested in being in Japan, then a good, hard 2nd look is a good idea here.

The government has been cracking down on 'Black' companies more these days. Even my company, which is nowhere near a 'black' company has been under review due to OT hours. (We actually pay OT work but we've been asked to scale employees back by at least 15%)

Good points.

The reason I even considered the position is too relocate to Japan. I’ve visited Japan every year for the last 4 years, been to every region, stayed in all kinds of accommodations and am able to recognize enough kanji that I have never had a problem for typical activities (train stations, airports, stores, etc.) Overall, I would greatly enjoy residing in Japan.

I think unless I drastically improve language ability in verbal form, chances of another position opportunity would be low, but the company that introduced my CV to Rakuten even stressed the idea that once you work there, it would be easy to move to another company. Now that I think about that comment, seems strange, but the recruiter could care less as I would just be a quick cash grab for them and want me to agree to the position.

I’ve been very ignorant to headhunters because I have never used them before for any positions and just applied directly and relied on experience. I expect some integrity on behalf of the recruiter.

Sounds sappy, but being able to write this all out on the forum and reading responses gives me a lot to think about.

Mostly rhetorical, but if any happen to know, are there any legal consequences for having the work visa issued already with job offer signed, and then refusing? The job offer had such a myriad of clauses that allow the company to terminate the contract, that I would not be too concerned about that, but am curious about the visa status already in place.

Reactions: TAG Manager
My deepest sympathies. I hope you've landed in one of the few decent teams there.

I’ve been informed that it is a department compromised of mostly foreigners (~50%), but that bit of info came from the recruiter. An HR rep stated the department is very sought for by workers as well...again, that is biased.

You need to let the immigration know you quit in 14 days after the fact but you will have 90 days to find a new job to keep the visa.

Thanks, much appreciated on your response. Have some serious thinking to do.

I’ve been informed that it is a department compromised of mostly foreigners (~50%), but that bit of info came from the recruiter. An HR rep stated the department is very sought for by workers as well...again, that is biased.

Shhh...

shh.jpg

Don't tell "you know who" that Rakuten is hiring English speakers in Japan.

Who knows what questions would follow?!?

Last edited:

Through Skype interviews, it was confirmed that English was absolutely required and that there is no requirement for Japanese. That gives some inclination that there may be some truth to the ~50% foreigners. I want to try and be optimistic with that aspect at least.

Through Skype interviews, it was confirmed that English was absolutely required and that there is no requirement for Japanese. That gives some inclination that there may be some truth to the ~50% foreigners. I want to try and be optimistic with that aspect at least.

Welcome!!!

If you've never visited Japan-you are in for a treat!

i know one japanese person who works for rakuten, not in an international team... he says he only stays because the salary is good, otherwise hes so dissatisfied that he doesnt use any or rakutens services and neither do his coworkers...

Reactions: JaquesAfrog
Again, it's up to what team you'll end up in. I've never met anyone working there describing it as a "black" company (although that could be true of the more Japanese departments, I suppose?) and everyone seems to be doing regular hours and so on. There's certainly lots of (work-)culture chocks awaiting but that's kind of part of the deal. You'll survive.

Since the visa isn't that tightly connected to the company (this is an Engineer visa you're getting, right?), as previously mentioned you can easily switch jobs later if you like to. Being on the ground and able to do physical interviews, as well as having all the relocation already settled, helps when looking around.

If you've never lived abroad before, this is a big deal. Think carefully and consider your personal circumstances (family, friends) etc. It's going to be really tough at first, no matter where you work, and will take time to get used to and adjust.

If you are serious about coming to Japan then you pretty well have to take any job you can get. The main issue is the chicken and egg issue of having a work visa and being resident in Japan requires having a job and that job requires a work visa.