Renting out an apartment that only allows one person?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the apartment next to where I am temporarily staying now opened up and I really like these apartments and this area. I want to rent out the place, but here is the catch...the landlord only allows one person to live in each apartment.

The funny thing is I have been living here with my roommate for almost a year now and we have had no issues at all with the landlord. She mentioned that the landlord is never around and is a laid-back guy anyway.

When I go to rent out the apartment, the landlord will of course be aware that I am married when I show him my Spouse of Japanese National card. I want to assure him that I will be living in the apartment alone, but I worry that if I say that and even if he is cool with signing a contract with me, would it be safe to change the new registered address to this apartment?

I don't think I will be able to keep my wife's mother's place as the registered address because if I sign a contract for any apartment, it will show up in the general public records correct? So therefore, I would have to put this apartment as the new registered address for my wife and I and just hope that immigration doesn't call up the landlord directly only to find out that is against the rental contract?

I realize that there are other apartments that allow more than one person, but the rent cost here is really reasonable and there is free, fast and stable WIFI, which is really important for me as I have an online job as well as work teaching English.

Immigration and the landlord aren't guaranteed to be in direct contact after changing the registered address will they?

Then again, my current renewal is valid for 3 years, so I would always move into this place temporarily and move into another apartment that allows 2 people before my 3 years are up...

if I sign a contract for any apartment, it will show up in the general public records correct?
For the type of transaction you mention, a private contract between you and a landlord, no, it doesn't appear in public records.

FWIW, those one-person rules are put in place to avoid abuse from people piling 4-5 people into one apartment. This is or was a popular tactic for cheap labor workers from China, India, Pakistan, etc. Many workers living in one apartment that was designed for either a single person or a simple couple. As long as you don't cause a problem, that would draw attention to yourself, I think you'll be fine.

As to your immigration/visa status and your registered address: It's acceptable to live in a different location for reasonable circumstances.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
For the type of transaction you mention, a private contract between you and a landlord, no, it doesn't appear in public records.

FWIW, those one-person rules are put in place to avoid abuse from people piling 4-5 people into one apartment. This is or was a popular tactic for cheap labor workers from China, India, Pakistan, etc. Many workers living in one apartment that was designed for either a single person or a simple couple. As long as you don't cause a problem, that would draw attention to yourself, I think you'll be fine.

As to your immigration/visa status and your registered address: It's acceptable to live in a different location for reasonable circumstances.

I actually misheard her. My roommate mentioned that she got her apartment through a 不動産 rather than a 家主, so would this cause an issue?

With regard to the rules, I believe you as that is reasonable. Would a reference from my roommate/great tenant carry any weight when I go to consult with them about rent? She is willing to put in a good word about me, but have you ever heard of cases where the agency just flat out says that only one person can live in a particular apartment no matter what the circumstances? That would be awkward, but if faced with such an unreasonable situation, it would only make my reason for living separate from the wife more reasonable...

P.S. My roommate has already verified that foreigners are OK to rent here.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I realize that there are other apartments that allow more than one person, but the rent cost here is really reasonable and there is free, fast and stable WIFI, which is really important for me as I have an online job as well as work teaching English.
you could say it's your office and even add the cost to your tax declaration, wouldn't it make sense ?

My roommate mentioned that she got her apartment through a 不動産 rather than a 家主, so would this cause an issue?
It shouldn't -- the only difference is one way is through a management company and the other is directly with the landlord. In both cases, your application has to be approved by the landlord. The management company would likely have more red tape vs. going directly to the landlord, they have checks in place to protect the property owner.

Would a reference from my roommate/great tenant carry any weight when I go to consult with them about rent? She is willing to put in a good word about me, but have you ever heard of cases where the agency just flat out says that only one person can live in a particular apartment no matter what the circumstances?
They will tell you it's an absolute rule, probably. It's your risk to determine what you do....
As for references, this is usually your job and your guarantor. The rent price is usually fixed and doesn't change regardless.

That would be awkward, but if faced with such an unreasonable situation, it would only make my reason for living separate from the wife more reasonable...
You can maintain a separate residence for circumstances such as working in a different location from where your wife is living, but keep in mind, if there happens to be an immigration check (not likely), that could cause some problems for you. Your registered address is up to you where you want it to be... many people maintain apartments close to their work and maintain their 'home' address where their family lives.

I expect that you would face some problems if you apply for some service and your address doesn't match, so please exercise caution on how you approach this.

you could say it's your office and even add the cost to your tax declaration, wouldn't it make sense ?

Well, I don't have my own company or anything but I could say that I need to rent out a place that offers free/reasonably-priced, fast and stable WIFI for my online job, which is also in a reasonable location due to my teaching jobs in town (this place is near the train station).

Although explaining these reasons would make sense for the office story, I would rather not mention that I teach online as well...because I would be taxed more. I'm also not even teaching Japanese people online...I'm teaching Chinese people online.

I guess what I'm asking is what are some good reasons/explanations for why I need an office if I don't have my own company yet? I'm still setting it up, but it will be only online.

I like your idea though.

Say you work with overseas clients from different time zones. You can't just go into your regular office at 3am to liaison with a client so you need a private home office that won't disturb your family either. Don't have to mention your clients are students.