Required Reading

I wonder if the re-naming had any adverse affects on the Turkish economy - reduction in direct foreign investment and tourists from Japan? :)

Now Japanese just equate Turkey with Kebab shops and vans and some belly dancers. The kebab explosion has been quite phenomenal here. Most them look like an invitation to get your stomach pumped. Anyone found a place serving safe delicious "gourmet" kebabs?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
The amazing thing is that the Japanese bothered at all. Wouldn't happen in most countries.

It wouldn't even be possible to do anything about it in many/most countries where most people would not be willing to change what they call something simply because some distant people felt insulted or because the government asked them to do so. If it had been the US, such a request would probably have resulted in *more* use of the term Turkish Bath just to display contrariness.

-Ww

Slight segue... but every time I click on this thread I'm reminded of the old saw about how you separate the men from the boys in Turkish bathhouse.

... with a prybar.

Slight segue... but every time I click on this thread I'm reminded of the old saw about how you separate the men from the boys in Turkish bathhouse.

... with a prybar.

..... I was thinking an electrified fence.... prevention rather than cure..

The amazing thing is that the Japanese bothered at all. Wouldn't happen in most countries.

Imagine the reverse scenario ....Chinese State media start referring to sauna brothels as "Japanese Onsens". It would take 30 years of diplomacy, substantial monetary compensation, trade concessions and redrafting history texts before the problem was "solved".

It wouldn't even be possible to do anything about it in many/most countries where most people would not be willing to change what they call something simply because some distant people felt insulted or because the government asked them to do so. If it had been the US, such a request would probably have resulted in *more* use of the term Turkish Bath just to display contrariness.

-Ww
That sounds exactly like my home country! Glad they are less stuck up in Japan.

Reactions: Wwanderer
Imagine the reverse scenario ....Chinese State media start referring to sauna brothels as "Japanese Onsens". It would take 30 years of diplomacy, substantial monetary compensation, trade concessions and redrafting history texts before the problem was "solved".
I think this might cause the third world war.
Japan attacks China, China strikes back, America comes to help Japan because they wanna cut off China's chance to become the world's strongest country and so on....

Reactions: Wwanderer