Rest In Peace, David Bowie

User#5069

TAG Member
Reaction score
The sad news of David Bowie's death reached me tonight, and so I thought it might be nice to share our favourite songs, quotes or anything related to Bowie. He was definitely a huge influence on me during my teenage years, and although I'm happy that he seemed to have died in peace surrounded by his family, it's terrible to see such a talented artist go.

I'll start with Space Oddity -- one of his most, if not the most, popular songs, but which has stood the test of time and is still popular with my generation. Personally it has meant a lot to me, and still does.

I'm also a big fan of Bing Crosby, and really love this duet between him and Bowie:

Last edited:

Maybe the only universally respected artist of his generation. I've just spent the morning on You tube and the outpouring of reverence and warmth shows how he touched people of all ages and across the globe. Back in the 70s his publically pansexual persona helped me to understand my own burgeoning feelings much better.

Bon voyage xxx

He was very important to me, I've been listening since my childhood, and buying records ever since.
China Girl is soooo intense. How not to love Asia after hearing it (also true with Big in Japan from Alphaville, but that's another story)

I'm not a fan at all of what he did recently (most old artists seem to lose track of proper enjoyable melodies). I still have some discomfort with what he did in the beginning (his post-mime / Ziggy Stardust period)...how powerful it is.

I'll stick with his 80's masterpieces : the mostly troubling "Ashes to Ashes" and the iconic "Modern Love"

And now I'm crying :/

He was one strange dude. Loved his writing. The worst thing I know about him was that he was really really cheap when it came to paying his back-up band.........Union scale plus expenses was all he paid. So for some it was like $300 a week. His thinking was "It'll look good on your resume".

I have always liked most of Bowie's work, whether it be old or new. Of course, Ziggy, but also Hunky Dory, Station to Station, Scary Monsters, The Next Day, Low and even less popular albums such as Earthling and Heathen were pretty good in my opinion.

Interestingly, he's the first artist to pass that I've seen mourned by such a wide variety of people... metal fans, punks, rockabillies, classical fans, skinheads, jazz lovers, rednecks, bluesmen, and regardless of musical subculture, from teenagers to senior citizens. The man touched nearly everyone that listened to music. I actually first developed an interest in Japan due to his performance in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

Interestingly, he's the first artist to pass that I've seen mourned by such a wide variety of people... metal fans, punks, rockabillies, classical fans, skinheads, jazz lovers, rednecks, bluesmen, and regardless of musical subculture, from teenagers to senior citizens. The man touched nearly everyone that listened to music. I actually first developed an interest in Japan due to his performance in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

He touched many that don't want to touch each other...he was like a missing link lol.

image.jpeg

-Ww