Guest viewing is limited

Reverse parking in Japan

SugoiBoy

TAG Member
Reaction score
One of the things that I observed after moving to Japan was the widespread use of reverse parking i.e., drivers backing into parking spaces. For some reason, I didn't noticed that when I was just a tourist in Japan some years ago before actually moving here. The practice of reverse parking is still not so common in my home country although I understand that it is becoming more popular there now.

Reverse parking is presumably a standard part of the curriculum at those expensive Japanese driving schools.

In any event, reverse parking does seem like a generally safer way to park. Any thoughts about reverse parking?

Yes, reverse parking and parallel parking are in the curriculum at Japanese driving schools, and Japanese in general love reverse parking. Now it's not difficult because of visual aid and warning sounds. However, I don't think Japanese are good at parallel parking because it's not as common as, say, in France where people do parallel parking even at a steep uphill street with their manual stick shift Renault.

Backing in also reduces accidents when trying to back out of a space. I follow the back-in preference... it’s certainly easier to get out. My car only has the reverse camera, none of the prox sensors.

Parallel parking .... don’t do this much but I see J-Drivers struggle at times.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Reversing in takes less space, and allows for more parking spaces in an area, which is the main reason it's done here. In larger more spacious lots, people nose in like anywhere else.

One thing you have to be careful with reverse parking in a parking lot is parking curbs, or bumper curbs, typically found in any Japanese parking lot. With 2 or 3 passengers in the rear seat, the parking curbs damage your car's rear bumper when you start moving your car ahead. Don't let any passengers sit in the rear before your car's rear wheels are sufficiently away from the parking curbs.

With 2 or 3 passengers in the rear seat, the parking curbs damage your car's rear bumper when you start moving your car ahead.

Again one more advantage of allowing only spinners to ride your car, or you.

Reverse parking is nice as it allows to get out very ... naturally.
It would be nice though if people would take more time to park properly and redo it in case car is not aligned with strips/lines :whistle:

Some parking spots perpendicular to very narrow streets seem difficult to get into head first even if you tried.

Interestingly in Australia, for some spots perpendicular to reasonably high traffic/speed roads, it is law to go in head first. Maybe they don't want you holding up traffic when parking.

I always go arse in whenever practical, to minimize collision risk when coming out - this is definitely not the norm here though(Laziness?). It also doesnt help that some people aren't patient enough to wait and lean on their horn anyway.