Guest viewing is limited

Revisiting: Comfortable Living in Japan (2017 Edition)

A mortgage doesn't equal housing cost as it's also an investment. You could consider that at least partially as savings.

Depending on the type of structure and location, most properties in Japan depreciate in value and are worth nothing after 25 years.

Also while he may be buying the property, there may be land rent to consider and or service fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeH
For me comfortable living depends on how you define comforts (i.e. foregoing cars and using public transit entirely) I think it can be done also on lower salary bracket

but the 7-8 mil per year is spot on if you want to save money

A mortgage doesn't equal housing cost as it's also an investment. You could consider that at least partially as savings.
Ah, took the words right out of my mouth.

I was going to say, I'm not paying rent, I have real estate investments... so I'm not just tossing my money away on rent.
I hope that your profession is more than just being Operations Manager of this site, I can think of much better jobs.
I like running TAG, it's both fun and challenging, but alas... it is not my primary job. My real, professional job, is also challenging and very interesting. Never a dull day. ;) I bitch and moan just like everybody, but in reality... I like what I do, a lot.

Depending on the type of structure and location, most properties in Japan depreciate in value and are worth nothing after 25 years.

Also while he may be buying the property, there may be land rent to consider and or service fees.

In Tokyo, it's strictly about location... which directly impacts the land value. The building value is shit if it's not RC type. It's the land that holds the value because of the physical location and proximity to services, stations and schools. :)

And stop focusing on me, this isn't about me... thanks.

Will try to move along ...
Monthly take-home: ¥250K
Rent: ¥75K
Utilities/Phone/Internet: ¥25K
Food: ¥70K
Remainder goes to savings, new toys and other entertainments. Not much remainder most months

Pretty comfortable for an under-30 bachelor but probably not the best in the long term.

I also instinctively recoil at some reviews, going "That's my entire monthly paycheck!!" but those spenders earned it so can't complain.

Last edited:
I found some really cheap Danchi houses for sell in Saitama and Chiba and I plan to buy one soon. as I work from home I don't mind the distance from the center Tokyo.

Reactions: TAG Manager
Remainder goes to savings, new toys and other entertainments. Not much remainder most months

Pretty comfortable for an under-30 bachelor but probably not the best in the long term.

I also instinctively recoil at some reviews, going "That's my entire monthly paycheck!!" but those spenders earned it so can't complain.
70k food for one person includes restaurants ?

I used to get the same
(roughly 3 years ago?)
250K monthly minus taxes 220K remaining
90K Rent
30K Utilities
50K Food
30K Travel/Allowance
-----
Then I got smart and left my company :)
So I got more (unsolicited advice don't consider counter offers it usually ends badly )

I found some really cheap Danchi houses for sell in Saitama and Chiba and I plan to buy one soon. as I work from home I don't mind the distance from the center Tokyo.
Danchi is quite good. It might be harder to Apply for one though from what i heard they usually prioritize single parents and/or older retired Japanese Citizens

Try it though :) You might get lucky

Danchi is quite good. It might be harder to Apply for one though from what i heard they usually prioritize single parents and/or older retired Japanese Citizens

Try it though :) You might get lucky
Seeing the prices I was sure there was something like that but my wife said it was still possible, I hope it will be.

You would never catch me living in one of them.

Those places are fit for rabbits.

Have you ever tried court auction property?

518212_1.jpg

This one is currently up for auction in Saitama for just over 5 million.

This one is currently up for auction in Saitama for just over 5 million.
That would be a good candidate to tear down & rebuild.... and either use as an investment property or just sell. Depends on the surrounding area...

Even after buying a place like that you could still end up paying service fees.

Personally I prefer a house, that is why I am looking at buying an old Kominka.

70k food for one person includes restaurants ?

Depends .... does Matsuya/Sukiya/McDonalds count as a restaurant ? :p

More seriously, once or twice in a month maybe if there's something to celebrate or for a change. Izakaya's don't count, I have a separate budget allocation for alcohol and nomikai.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Even after buying a place like that you could still end up paying service fees.

Personally I prefer a house, that is why I am looking at buying an old Kominka.
there are fees (from 15 to 25k depending of the place) of course but it's still worth it compared to a rent.

and if you have a house it would cost around the same for maintenance.

that said I would prefer a house too but wouldn't it cost more to buy one ? the danchi house in the pic I posted is around 5 millions yen for 79 m² 3LDK.

Depends .... does Matsuya/Sukiya/McDonalds count as a restaurant ? :p

More seriously, once or twice in a month maybe if there's something to celebrate or for a change. Izakaya's don't count, I have a separate budget allocation for alcohol and nomikai.
yeah I think 70k is a lot for food for 1 person if you don't count Izakaya. do you cook french food at home and always eat french bread instead of rice ? :p

there are fees (from 15 to 25k depending of the place) of course but it's still worth it compared to a rent.

and if you have a house it would cost around the same for maintenance.

that said I would prefer a house too but wouldn't it cost more to buy one ? the danchi house in the pic I posted is around 5 millions yen for 79 m² 3LDK.

Are those fees yearly?

If you have cash and want to go the court auction route you can buy a house for 5 million or less.

518440_1.jpg

Example
Midori, Chiba
4LDK Minimum Bid Price 3.4Milion

Are those fees yearly?

If you have cash and want to go the court auction route you can buy a house for 5 million or less.

518440_1.jpg

Example
Midori, Chiba
4LDK Minimum Bid Price 3.4Milion
I think the fees I mentionned are monthly. it's 管理費/修繕積立金 and for the one I mentionned it's 5k+9k= 14k

but what you're proposing now is clearly better. I'd never have thought that something like that would be at that price. Where can I find those opportunities ? is there a web site for those auctions ?

I think the fees I mentionned are monthly. it's 管理費/修繕積立金 and for the one I mentionned it's 5k+9k= 14k

but what you're proposing now is clearly better. I'd never have thought that something like that would be at that price. Where can I find those opportunities ? is there a web site for those auctions ?

There are two websites, but I suggest you try this one as its in both English and Japanese.

981.jp

Rent: ¥70K
Electricity: ¥5K
Gas: ¥3K
Internet: ¥5K

This is from my stay last year during 4 months, average what I paid monthly. Funny part is that I spent more money on food than I did on bills. There's a couple of restaurants/pubs that really loves me ;)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland