Rookie Mistake - Scammed in Ikebukuro (Street Touts: AVOID!!)

raoxi

TAG Member
Reaction score
Just got scammed with a friend in Ikebukuro. Total 25k each... first time in 2 years in Japan.

oldest trick in the book too... followed a scout into a dodgy drinking place and was promised everything and got nothing.

is kind of both our fault as we both felt it was dodge and wanted to stop following the scout but we each encouraged eachother at the worst moment. The evil grin on the scouts face after they took our cash was when I realised we got done.

for the record ive followed a scout with a friend before and was taken to a proper establishment in Ikebukuro so thought it would be fine...

tldr - dont follow scouts

thanks tag manager. jus wanted to share this for everyones sake. even if u had a successful scout before in the same area doesnt mean it would be safe again....

Just 2 weeks before I am due to leave too.

Reactions: impish and Simonka
for the record ive followed a scout with a friend before and was taken to a proper establishment in Ikebukuro so thought it would be fine...

Well, if you won the lottery one time do you immediately think you will win it next time too?

There are a couple of crews that have been working with those scams in that area for a couple of decades. Sorry you got clipped.

Edit: crews, dammit.

Last edited:
This approximate area?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/41TPK

This block is notorious for a gang that's run botakuri scams for years.
pretty much. i read jp ppl being scammed and they were hit much worst ie 50-150k, i guess i got off lightly. kinda felt like how i got someone twice the size as the picture shown to me in susukino last month....

Cant believe jp police jus lets place like this operate, ive seen police raid some of these places after hundreds of complains but otherwise they seem to do nothing...

Cant believe jp police jus lets place like this operate, ive seen police raid some of these places after hundreds of complains but otherwise they seem to do nothing...

Not at all true, they do something....

They collect their bribe money on the third of every month.

Sorry about that, we all make mistakes.

46DD56E0-385D-4426-AF76-A48CEE8B27F2.jpeg

Tell him “NO” next time :)

Sorry to hear that. But 25K each was rather you're lucky. It's still small amount from what I hear sometimes.

Hope both of you deserve unexpected free happy ending hook up in return by lesson learnt!

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Was this on the 9th floor of the building?

I"ve gotten in fights with these people several times after trying to warn people that it is a scam, including police coming / me having to go to the hospital for x-rays after they beat me up. (Only good side was the police made them pay for my 30,000 yen hospital bill). The police told me to stop doing that as I was causing trouble.

It is a scam group, they know the law and know how not to get caught. It is your word vs the tout. Even if you go to the police, the drinking establishment just says they have no connection to the touts, the tout makes up a story about what he said.

The leader rides around in a BMW Mercedes Benz G-Class.

This is not the highest priority for the police when you are buying something technically illegal (FS) and night life. As I mentioned in another thread I had money stolen at a legitimate club and the police didn't care at all.

The reason they went after the clubs in the Kabukicho is it got to such a ridiculous level where you had 25 people standing outside the police box every night and the media started reporting on it

Was this on the 9th floor of the building?

I"ve gotten in fights with these people several times after trying to warn people that it is a scam, including police coming / me having to go to the hospital for x-rays after they beat me up. (Only good side was the police made them pay for my 30,000 yen hospital bill). The police told me to stop doing that as I was causing trouble.

It is a scam group, they know the law and know how not to get caught. It is your word vs the tout. Even if you go to the police, the drinking establishment just says they have no connection to the touts, the tout makes up a story about what he said.

The leader rides around in a BMW Mercedes Benz G-Class.

This is not the highest priority for the police when you are buying something technically illegal (FS) and night life. As I mentioned in another thread I had money stolen at a legitimate club and the police didn't care at all.

The reason they went after the clubs in the Kabukicho is it got to such a ridiculous level where you had 25 people standing outside the police box every night and the media started reporting on it

7th floor of some building close to north exit. sounds about right... im sure if they jus go and threaten the establishment/touts and say they will hold them for 10 days (like they always seem to do) in a cell even if they cant charge them with anything is enough to make them think twice.

Not to rip on you further. But weeping baby Jesus there are millions of threads and common sense to avoid this shit.

Actually. I did rip on you further sorry.
You’re evil. I like you. :D

i think a combination of factors contributed to this

-previousn success with scouts
-living in the area for 2 years
-was a farewell and the tension was high
-friend was a noob
-friend saw the girls and started becomin super keen and convincin me to go through with it

but at the end of the day i couldve jus said f this and walk off. so rookie mistake on my part.

but still im not so much pissed at my myself but at how f up the system is in JP. for the koban police to be setup right in the area and yet they do nothing about these scum of the earth catchers who are out here scamming ppl. police in the US wouldve rekt them on day1.

tldr - jp police are useless

somethings can be so backward in japan

but still im not so much pissed at my myself but at how f up the system is in JP. for the koban police to be setup right in the area and yet they do nothing about these scum of the earth catchers who are out here scamming ppl. police in the US wouldve rekt them on day1.

tldr - jp police are useless

somethings can be so backward in Japan

There is something going on here, directions on high not to spend resources to go after these guys.

A police box is literally like 15 feet from where they tout(Near the Don Quixote) On the other side of Ikebukuro there are a ton Of izakaya rip-off touts right next to the police station, "volunteers" from the government offices warn people about them but the police don't even give them tickets or say anything.

My efforts to disturb the group near Don Quixote did led to several one-sided fights with the police showing up, they freely admitted to the police that they were touting.
they told the police I was telling people that it was a scam and harassing, disturbing their business by doing so.

The police told me there is nothing I could do to stop them and me being there just leads to trouble and fights and just makes the police get involved, maybe other by-standers will get hurt, so please leave.

Reactions: Petite Nymphet
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190315-00010004-houdoukvq-soci

6 Arrested in Ikebukuro West Exit for doing tout activity.

I check once a month for news on these because I find it amazing they exist.
Above is the first news I've seen on arrests for regular touts.

It also seems like the famous 9th floor place above milky pie and gakuensai has been shut down (the reason is unknown)

Article ends say Police are currently planning to ramp up even more enforcement of this.
Looks like they may be potentially finally trying to clean things up before the Olympics?

6 Arrested in Ikebukuro West Exit for doing tout activity.

Ratfuckers finally fell behind on their protection money.

Good riddance.