Guest viewing is limited

Roppongi

BladeRunner

But then again, who does?
Reaction score
When I first moved here - Roppongi was the be all and end all of my little world - and still somewhere I take visitors now (Geronimo etc). But after 2 years (baby I know) - I can't fucking bear the place....
What's everyone's thoughts on this notorious area?

Reactions: MissInsomnia
You won't find me there after 10pm unless I'm coming out of a movie - but recently I've been seeing movies at the new theater in Kabikuchou.

It's a matter taste and mine's all dried up for Roppongi. I have to go there for work sometimes, but the daytime is fine.

When I first moved here - Roppongi was the be all and end all of my little world - and still somewhere I take visitors now (Geronimo etc). But after 2 years (baby I know) - I can't fucking bear the place....
A bit more details would be interesting :)
What did you like about it (which bars, clubs, etc.) two years ago? And what do you hate about it now?

It's one of the few places in Tokyo I still haven't visited. Not into bars or clubs so I've never had the desire to even take a look. I'm guessing there's really nothing there other than its nightlife??

Reactions: Wwanderer

I feel exactly the same. When I first moved to Japan it was somewhere I'd go a lot, these days I avoid the place too. I think after a while I found other places where I could go with out the hassle and cost....that and I got older too, all nighters there would kill me these days.

I have mixed feelings about Roppongi..

What I like about Roppongi is its name (cute and fun to say), the foreigner-to-local ratio, and one specific nightclub. Other than that, I usually just go there during the daytime for their huge department store ドンキホーテ, exchanging foreign currency, or lunch.

Cons are.. the street's pretty dirty, the street touts are annoying and usually aggressive.. and the train station's like a gym :( lmao

But.. I do have to give props to Roppongi for giving me interesting/fun jobs in the past. I've worked in the district as a nightclub waitress, waitress at a strip club, waitress at two bars, hostess, drink-back girl, and I was almost gonna take a DJ job there as well.. :p

I dont go there much but when I did the atmosphere inside the bars I was in was very friendly

A bit more details would be interesting :)
What did you like about it (which bars, clubs, etc.) two years ago? And what do you hate about it now?

When I first got here I desperately wanted to get it on with Japanese women - but was intimidated by Japanese areas I wasn't familiar with so preferred ex-pat heavy places. I'd hit the Hub and Feria remorselessly, with a fair amount of success it must be said.

But now I look at it like pushing a lamb into a wolf pit at the zoo - all the wolves snarling and snapping at each other to get a bite.

I couldn't be arsed with it so now I roam the wider plains!

A lot of foreigners I met who live in Tokyo look down on Roppongi like somewhere for tourists or dumb gaijin who aint picked up the language. They said theyd never be seen there, it aint even *real* tokyo etc.

Well I reckon roppongi is great. Theres no pretense in that place. It knows what it is and dont give a fuck. I appreciate that.

Reactions: Wwanderer
During daytime it's nice and luxury.
The Nigerian touts at night are horrible though (more pushy than the ones in kabuki cho) so i very much avoid walking around there in night time.
But its interesting. A lot of rich Japanese party there.
The bad train connection is a major irritation of me, places that are on the yamanote line are best.

The funny thing for me is that 99% of the Japanese I've known have never set foot there. On that basis alone it makes it cool.

A lot of foreigners I met who live in Tokyo look down on Roppongi like somewhere for tourists or dumb gaijin who aint picked up the language. They said theyd never be seen there, it aint even *real* tokyo etc.

Well I reckon roppongi is great. Theres no pretense in that place. It knows what it is and dont give a fuck. I appreciate that.

I pretty much agree with this.

I have been a regular late-night denizen of Roppongi for over 20 years and still go there regularly. It isn't what it used to be for sure, but also for sure it offers a rough and decadent ambiance that isn't available in English anywhere else in Tokyo as far as I know. To me it has less of a "Disneyland" (a bit too sweet and controlled) feel than other Tokyo nightlife districts. (Kabukicho is second to my tastes and has the advantages of plentiful LHs and some HBs.) Moreover and as I mentioned above, Roppongi has its hidden gems; a few of you ladies who have been with me there know what I am talking about.

Another plus of Roppongi, rarely mentioned/appreciated but pretty cool I think, is that you have some of the town's best posh/classy/upscale options in the Roppongi Hills and Midtown complexes nestled essentially adjacent to the bawdy and sketchy areas. You can walk from the Lobby Bar at the Ritz or the Galleria Shoping Mall to sleazy BDSM clubs in just a few minutes or from Maduro or the Oak Door to tiny bars where BJs are being delivered in the toilets and dark corners on a regular basis. There are also first class art museums equally integrated into the neighborhood. It is extremely convenient for those among us with diverse and incongruous tastes/appetites. If there are other Tokyo neighborhoods with similarly diverse offerings, I'd like to find them.

-Ww

Last edited:
Spending a few night here and at night it's the worst. People are too aggressive

My wife and I are taking our two friends out tonight. They're visiting from Thailand. Our hotel is close to roppongi so thinking of heading down there tonight. Any suggestions? Would enjoy some bars and maybe a club. Is there a street in particular or a place you recommend I map to as a starting point? Thanks y'all!

My wife and I are taking our two friends out tonight. They're visiting from Thailand. Our hotel is close to roppongi so thinking of heading down there tonight. Any suggestions? Would enjoy some bars and maybe a club. Is there a street in particular or a place you recommend I map to as a starting point? Thanks y'all!

I would normally got these 3 places.
1. r2 Supperclub as a start. Very classy place. Many foreigners.
2. HUB because it is cheap to get drunk there and the crowd is awesome.
3. Red Area. It is like a club without entrance fee and many japanese girls. However, it is impossible to talk inside as the music is very loud.