• Shibuya

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

nanban

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, nanban here, I'm new to the forum. Came here from Sinapse's videos, cool guy. Nice to meet you all.

In July 2023 I'm going to be attending language school in Japan for six months. The language school is located in the heart of Shinjuku, basically right next to Kabukicho. My question tonight revolves around where I should live: Shinjuku or Shibuya.

I can hear you protesting, "Don't put nanpa before your studies, kid, live near your school." I've thought about this. But it seems that via the Yamanote/Saikyo line it is just about 5 minutes between Shinjuku and Shibuya. My classes are in the afternoon and finances are not an issue. If Shibuya is more happening, it should be trivial for me to just catch a train to Shinjuku. I am aware of the train situation between 12am and 5am, which is why I want to live where the nightlife is.

For my situation, which would you recommend? I'm 24 years old, white, American, probably above average-ish in looks, and partying is my pastime. Hooking up with ladies is fun, but what's even more important to me? Making some good (platonic) friends, going out, getting piss drunk, and having wild experiences at fun venues. I really want to be somewhere I can roam around at night and just feel the energy buzzing around. Obviously, Shinjuku and Shibuya are both great contenders -- but I'm curious which you think is best. Edit: I realize my language ability might be relevant to the venues. I'm like a weak N4 level, can certainly hold a basic conversation but not much beyond that.

Finally, for the sake of discussion benefiting everyone, which is more popping overall: Shinjuku or Shibuya? Where would the average person rather nanpa/party/meet people?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dfblaze
I haven’t lived in either neighborhood, but, as you might already know, the two areas are relatively close to one another. It only takes a few minutes by train to get between Shinjuku and Shibuya. If it’s late, then you could hop in a taxi.

Reactions: nanban
If you're talking about nanpa, Shinjuku is probably the single hardest nanpa spot in all of Japan, particularly the east side between station and Kabukicho. Talking about street game here, not pulling from bars or clubs.

Also, Shinjuku's nightlife is almost entirely bars and kyaba/soaplands. If you're the clubbing type, Shibuya is definitely what you're looking for. AFAIK there is actually only one club in Shinjuku (Warp).

If you are young and want to go out to party Shibuya is of course the first choice. Lots of clubs and live venues around for a night out. People are younger but of course also a higher percentage of internationals.

Shinjuku has only one big club, it's strong point are the bars. You can have amazing nights there, but it's more barhopping than clubbing I would say.

Hi all, nanban here, I'm new to the forum. Came here from Sinapse's videos, cool guy. Nice to meet you all.

In July 2023 I'm going to be attending language school in Japan for six months. The language school is located in the heart of Shinjuku, basically right next to Kabukicho. My question tonight revolves around where I should live: Shinjuku or Shibuya.

I can hear you protesting, "Don't put nanpa before your studies, kid, live near your school." I've thought about this. But it seems that via the Yamanote/Saikyo line it is just about 5 minutes between Shinjuku and Shibuya. My classes are in the afternoon and finances are not an issue. If Shibuya is more happening, it should be trivial for me to just catch a train to Shinjuku. I am aware of the train situation between 12am and 5am, which is why I want to live where the nightlife is.

For my situation, which would you recommend? I'm 24 years old, white, American, probably above average-ish in looks, and partying is my pastime. Hooking up with ladies is fun, but what's even more important to me? Making some good (platonic) friends, going out, getting piss drunk, and having wild experiences at fun venues. I really want to be somewhere I can roam around at night and just feel the energy buzzing around. Obviously, Shinjuku and Shibuya are both great contenders -- but I'm curious which you think is best. Edit: I realize my language ability might be relevant to the venues. I'm like a weak N4 level, can certainly hold a basic conversation but not much beyond that.

Finally, for the sake of discussion benefiting everyone, which is more popping overall: Shinjuku or Shibuya? Where would the average person rather nanpa/party/meet people?
I would be careful with the "finances not being an issue" statement.

Unless you're the bastard son of Elon Musk or got a massive inheritance, I strongly believe that Tokyo if not urban Japan in its entirety is a cost hellscape (though not as bad as major cities in the USA these days.) Money will disappear, and that zeroing bank account happens more often than you think.

That said, I suggest choosing an area that isn't terribly far from both of those spots, which if you use the Yamanote Line would be stops like Ebisu, Yoyogi, Harajuku, or Shin-Okubo, but as I do not know the real estate in those areas I imagine it ain't cheap living around those areas. Cheaper is better, too, for obvious reasons.

Inasmuch, a couple of other things:

• If you are trying to hook up with a girl, a love hotel is way more convenient than your apartment. Noise levels and all sorts of finnicky landlords can make your little den of iniquity into a very lonely den of masturbation. That said, both Shibuya and Shinjuku have love hotels by the hundreds for you to choose from, so Tokyo's nightlife has got you covered.

• If you just want to stay out super late, again, even if the train shuts down it is literally an hour walk between both stations. Unless you are missing a limb an hour long walk home after guzzling beers with friends really isn't that bad, and if you are in a rush for some reason a taxi won't be horrible.

• As I do not drink alcohol, I have found that there are tons of social circles to try out to meet new and exciting people besides spots where you spend copious amounts of time and money getting shitfaced and chasing high-defense women. Community centers, sports clubs, sightseeing spots, and events riddle the entire city, with often the coolest people might end up in Shimbashi, Kanda, or Ueno, which are all a good half-Yamanote rotation away from your party spots. Plenty of folks on this forum disagree with me, but I don't believe there are ideal "nampa spots" as there are more ideal "nampa situations" that circumvent all the advice about "where da pussy at" you might read on the internet. But alas, I am a hideous, caramel, 'Murikan clown monster with a tendency to paint my victims lady loves, so here I will stop before I digress.

Live where you want to live, study and improve your Japanese, and take it easy on the booze so you can properly bed that Shibuya princess you spent ¥10k to enchant that evening.

I would be careful with the "finances not being an issue" statement.

Unless you're the bastard son of Elon Musk or got a massive inheritance, I strongly believe that Tokyo if not urban Japan in its entirety is a cost hellscape (though not as bad as major cities in the USA these days.) Money will disappear, and that zeroing bank account happens more often than you think.

That said, I suggest choosing an area that isn't terribly far from both of those spots, which if you use the Yamanote Line would be stops like Ebisu, Yoyogi, Harajuku, or Shin-Okubo, but as I do not know the real estate in those areas I imagine it ain't cheap living around those areas. Cheaper is better, too, for obvious reasons.

Inasmuch, a couple of other things:

• If you are trying to hook up with a girl, a love hotel is way more convenient than your apartment. Noise levels and all sorts of finnicky landlords can make your little den of iniquity into a very lonely den of masturbation. That said, both Shibuya and Shinjuku have love hotels by the hundreds for you to choose from, so Tokyo's nightlife has got you covered.

• If you just want to stay out super late, again, even if the train shuts down it is literally an hour walk between both stations. Unless you are missing a limb an hour long walk home after guzzling beers with friends really isn't that bad, and if you are in a rush for some reason a taxi won't be horrible.

• As I do not drink alcohol, I have found that there are tons of social circles to try out to meet new and exciting people besides spots where you spend copious amounts of time and money getting shitfaced and chasing high-defense women. Community centers, sports clubs, sightseeing spots, and events riddle the entire city, with often the coolest people might end up in Shimbashi, Kanda, or Ueno, which are all a good half-Yamanote rotation away from your party spots. Plenty of folks on this forum disagree with me, but I don't believe there are ideal "nampa spots" as there are more ideal "nampa situations" that circumvent all the advice about "where da pussy at" you might read on the internet. But alas, I am a hideous, caramel, 'Murikan clown monster with a tendency to paint my victims lady loves, so here I will stop before I digress.

Live where you want to live, study and improve your Japanese, and take it easy on the booze so you can properly bed that Shibuya princess you spent ¥10k to enchant that evening.

Thanks for the analysis. I'm definitely not rich lol -- just managed to graduate without debt and have been working for a couple of years. The comment about finances was just with regard to daily transportation... still can't afford to pound shots at the clubs :p

I honestly didn't consider that an apartment would be unsuitable for sex. My whole thought process revolved around hanging with girls late and pulling an "ah, no trains till 5, might as well come back to my place for a bit of an afterparty yeah?" This was my bread and butter in college. If this isn't as feasible as I think it is, I might as well live in one of the nearby neighborhoods along the Yamanote line (especially Sendagaya as @newbie said) for the lower cost.

I'm with you on the social circle thing. I intend to get involved with some wholesome daytime activities and meet people that way. It ties into the nightlife too. Nothing better than going out with your homies who you have genuine bonds with through other hobbies.

Reactions: requiemmorrow
I honestly didn't consider that an apartment would be unsuitable for sex. My whole thought process revolved around hanging with girls late and pulling an "ah, no trains till 5, might as well come back to my place for a bit of an afterparty yeah?" This was my bread and butter in college. If this isn't as feasible as I think it is, I might as well live in one of the nearby neighborhoods along the Yamanote line (especially Sendagaya as @newbie said) for the lower cost.
I fully agree with you.... In my experience love hotel pulls are the riskiest you can possibly try. They immediately set off alarm bells in the girl's head and she has to decide right then and there if she'll bang you or not. Apartments and net cafes are much better options, not to mention cheaper.

I also disagree about Tokyo being super expensive. As far as major world cities go it's honestly not bad. Like yeah, you're not going to get a nice place in the middle of Shinjuku or Shibuya unless you've got money, but you can find decent apartments adjacent to those places within 15-20 min walk for not that much. Also I find food in Tokyo to be amazingly inexpensive. If you want to you can survive on very little here.

A small cafe, followed by Karaoke, then some excuse to visit my place worked well in my nampa/get j-girls days. The hand touch/holding during the meal, hugging/kissing during karaoke, then flat out fucking once she feels comfortable/safe at my place.

Pretty sure any mention of a love hotel put the brakes on fast. That's more a 2nd date location.

Reactions: hamsap
Pretty sure any mention of a love hotel put the brakes on fast.

The thing is you really do not have to mention it. After all the other proper steps have been taking you can just hold her hand and walk to the love hotel.

Reactions: hamsap