Shinjuku Scam

Shinjuku has good places. Don't trust street touts no matter their ethnicity. Just use the info centers and you're fine. You just don't have the street smarts and that's fine.

Reactions: DireWolf98
The Shinjuku red light area along with Roppongi are magnets for scum. Best avoided if you can.

Thanks to the OP for the reminder.

Reactions: John Chavers
Don't just put off an entire area because of a con, it can happen anywhere, just be smarter about it in the future. Like everyone else says research and street smarts help a long way. It's always best to be weary of people coming up to you especially when you're looking for not so clean entertainment.

Btw shouldn't this be in the warnings and questions section as it's not review?

Please don't use a review form for this.... post it in the proper Q&A/Warnings section, please...

I'm going to edit the OP and move the thread after this post.

I hope no more people will get scammed like this anymore. This is my first time in Japan. Will never be back to Shinjuku ever again.

That's a shame, Shinjuku is a great place. :)

You shouldn't judge one whole area of Tokyo (and a large one at that) by one bad experience.

Agreed, stay away from street touts and other scammers... but the rest of the area is perfectly fine.

Never been scammed in Shinjuku personally. But you are guaranteed to be hassled by touts numerous times so hardly a nice place to go compared to anywhere else in Tokyo.

Never been scammed in Shinjuku personally. But you are guaranteed to be hassled by touts numerous times so hardly a nice place to go compared to anywhere else in Tokyo.

That's pretty much just Kabukichou.... and usually after 9 or 10pm. I spend a lot of time working on the west and east side of Shinjuku... walking through Kabukichou on a daily basis, usually. I mean, god, there is a Krispy Kreme there now... how can I not go?!? *looks at my waistline* It's obvious... :/

Agreed. The RLD is the problem area. Shinjuku does offer decent places after from the said area.

In general Shinjuku is a very pleasant to stay in as long as you are careful of the places you venture into.

There are so many information centers, I don't understand how so many are tricked by street guys. My opinion is this appears to be a language problem, and it's sad that Japan is still so backwards internationally, that it appears none of the information centers offer English assistance. Therefore the English speaking street guys are in scam heaven.

If a guy on the street asks for money or a "deposit" clearly that's unlikely to end well.

Reactions: just4fun
It's more than just a language barrier if English speaking Nigerians and Chinese are on the scams. As I said, it's all about lacking the street smarts.

As for English assistance, it doesn't help when I only know of two quality places in Kabuki-cho that accepts foreigners while with JK/OL style, you have to make arrangements over the phone.

@victor As reviewed here many times, Happy Berry (www.lr-shinjukju) is a great place for foreigners and they don't scam you. The prices are average and they get lower as you go up in membership. and they don't scam you with the photos. Like Kira, their highlight girl is exactly how she looks in the pictures.

I wish i would have done some homework and wish to have read all these threads before loitering around in kabukicho today. Another expensive lesson. I Was being scammed by japanese and chinese touts.

I was being brought by a japanese tout to a massage place and promised 15000 yen for oil message and one shot, which given to the guy. Reaching there, charge me room fee 5000 yen. When i was in the room naked, a chinese lady and japanese lady ran in and want to charge me another 80000 yen for service before starting. I was out of money. They robbed my wallet completely and even want me to withdraw cash from atm. In the end, they grabbed all foreign currencies i had in wallet. I lost almost 100k yen. Such an idiot and stupid me.

Should have read and done the homework first before going out.

I wanna just go to these places to fuck with them and stall their valuable Friday night time. Allow them to lead me to the room, stall the prepayment until I can be brought to the room. Then pull out some precisely cut photos of money out of my coin filled pockets (10 and 1 Yen coins flying out of the pockets and onto the floor) and earnestly attempt to pay them with it while acting as if I don't know any different. Then invite them to an ATM where none of my cards accept. Finally I get 2,000 Yen out by accident on one card and then enter the pin incorrectly too many times to get the rest of the money and the card gets locked from further advances. Answer a random phone call spending 17 minutes talking about the ferret's diarrhea and what we should do when I get back home. After the call, tell them I gotta take a breather and lead me to the closest toilet since I had too much beer and Yakitori. After having them wait 15 more minutes, come out drenched dripping in sweat and ask them if they take Bitcoin payment, my remaining 2,200 Yen Passimo, or take an IOU, .etc, etc.

Last edited:
Really just don't go anywhere with anyone no matter what country you are in. I think it's worse for tourists in Japan because it has a reputation as a super safe country so people let their guard down and go along with these amazing sounding offers. If some random guy comes up to me anywhere and offers to take me to some place that to me sets alarm bells off especially if they smile and act super friendly. I pretty much expect to be led into some back alley and mugged. Which is more or less the case it seems in the form of extortion.

It's good that sites like this exist. There are always people who know more than you and it's good if they are reviewing places and sharing information. If it keeps money getting into the hands of scum all the better.

Reactions: Wwanderer
If some random guy comes up to me anywhere and offers to take me to some place that to me sets alarm bells off especially if they smile and act super friendly. I pretty much expect to be led into some back alley and mugged.

Especially if they offer you something that sounds truly wonderful in one or more ways.

Yeah, they might as well wear a flashing neon sign saying, "I am a con artist, and I am going to try to steal your money one way or another!" However, they somehow do continue to find victims; I tend to ascribe it to alcohol impaired judgement mostly...maybe also to some jet lag and culture shock.

It's good that sites like this exist. There are always people who know more than you and it's good if they are reviewing places and sharing information. If it keeps money getting into the hands of scum all the better.

The appropriate cautionary material is indeed on TAG and in abundance. However, it is not all that easy to find if you aren't particularly looking for it and if there has not been a recent thread about street tout scams sitting near the top of some forum. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a link on the TAG front page in some form that would be hard for a new reader to miss, maybe a bright red or orange or rainbow or whatever font, saying "DANGER FROM STREET TOUTS IN TOKYO". Hitting it would then take you to some relevant FAQ or maybe just to a set of links to all of the many threads started by guys who lost their money to these crooks. The idea being that even a quick glance at TAG would give a reader a fair chance of finding the material needed to keep him out of trouble.

I should probably put this post in some suggestions forum or thread where @meiji or @TAG Manager would surely see it, but it is easier to tag it, and I am lazy.

-Ww

It seems like it's the main way people looking for adult entertainment are going to get into trouble so probably needs some sort of super thread. From what I see a big reason it happens to people is they walk around trying all these places and being told to get lost because they don't take foreigners so they get all dejected then some hustler says they know a place where they can get all this stuff for what seems like a bargain price and they are desperate by that point.

This scam happens on a daily basis and with Japanese customers too

Anyone wishing to explore the area should post here asking for some of the canny regulars here to guide them. There is always someone to oblige. Like myself (if Iwasnt rotting away in jail )

The African touts have got smart to the idea that foreigners won't trust them but trust a Japanese. Any tout in Kabukicho is a scum sucking maggot

As Prof WE stated, it's about time admin pulled their finger out and added a special Kabukicho thread the warnings get buried under a pile of shite

Last edited:
Well, they go after foreigners because it's super-easy to get away with scamming foreigners, but will eventually get busted hard for scamming Japanese citizens. Yes, the latter happens, but not nearly to the same extent.

I don't feel strongly about jack shite these days but upgrading the site so it's more user friendly is essential since we got so much traffic here now

If admin can add a Solong Glorification Column (PUA) then as one of the main posters here they should grant me and the wider world extra colomns on Kabukicho and Roppongi.

Newcomers to Japan will continue to visit these places because they are world infamous and continue to have their imlression of the whole country ruined by unfortunate experiences in those two places

I got sweet FA to do here in fucking jail all day so can trawl through the whole goddamned site and copy and paste all references to those places if it helps it will take time but can be done when Wi-Fi not playing up

Reactions: just4fun
Well, they go after foreigners because it's super-easy to get away with scamming foreigners, but will eventually get busted hard for scamming Japanese citizens. Yes, the latter happens, but not nearly to the same extent.

In Roppongi gaijins are the victims but in Kabukicho I suspect Japanese bear the brunt still

If an establishment takes your fancy, just enter and talk straight to the guy on the lobby, never talk with the touts. If you're inside an establishment, the chances of being scammed is lowered significantly

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk