Slow traveler's first visit to Japan (arrive late Oct)

mr21

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello TAG - it's great to have found this forum and thank you for allowing me to join!

A little about myself: mid-50s, from the US, and have been slow traveling in SE Asia and Latin America since late 2020. Wouldn't call myself a hardcore monger but I occasionally enjoy p4p wherever I travel to. I also speak basic Spanish, know a few Thai phrases, but no Japanese.

This will be my first visit to Japan and I arrive to Tokyo (starting in Ueno) at the end of October. After a few weeks in Tokyo my loose plan is to slow travel throughout southern Japan for about 3 months. Then looking at finishing up in Fukuoka, in late January, before continuing to the next country. Any suggestions for cities along the way would be appreciated!

I won't have much to contribute until "boots on the ground" but will be reading the numerous threads to gain info. I'll try my best to research before asking any questions.

Meeting other like-minded travelers/expats is also one of my favorite things about traveling. So please send me a PM if interested in meeting up for coffee or beers.

- mr21