So am I considered a Gaijin?

Randomjaket

TAG Member
Reaction score
Since I'm making a week long trip to Japan, and have the nerve to finally see a provider... I am wondering, do I classify as a gaijin?

The thing is, I am full Japanese(from both parents), but I was born in the states. I know a decent amount of Japanese to get around, and talk basic conversations, but I don't think I have enough Japanese under my knowledge to talk about services, or making a call to a provider/agent.

I understand that gaijin is technically any foreigner, but in the context gaijin, I don't fall under that category because I am full Japanese. So... Am I considered a Gaijin?

Thanks

Since I'm making a week long trip to Japan, and have the nerve to finally see a provider... I am wondering, do I classify as a gaijin?

The thing is, I am full Japanese(from both parents), but I was born in the states. I know a decent amount of Japanese to get around, and talk basic conversations, but I don't think I have enough Japanese under my knowledge to talk about services, or making a call to a provider/agent.

I understand that gaijin is technically any foreigner, but in the context gaijin, I don't fall under that category because I am full Japanese. So... Am I considered a Gaijin?

Thanks

No

Reactions: Yuriko
My guess is since you can't speak fluent Japanese, you might get the Asian card. You still may get the gaijin tax so expect that. If you show up at the shop, your chances are better than calling.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland

Thanks
no you're not considered as a gaijin, but guys like Ramos, Lopez, Dos Santos and others who played for Japan Soccer NT will always be seen as Gaijin even if they have the citizenship.
I even know a half raised in Japan who is denied access to many of these shops for being a gaijin.

Thanks

You are in the same situation as me.

My parents are both Japanese but I was born abroad.

I guess if you were born in USA, you don't have a Japanese citizenship, right?
I asked you this, because back at the time that I wasn't fluent in Japanese, I showed my passport at the store and played the "silent and socially awkward behavior" and they let me in on more than 95% of the times.

A lot of people will not consider you as Japanese, others will consider you as Japanese. There is not a rule about that!

My piece of advice.... Try to practice your lines before going to a "Japanese only" place. They tend to ask the same questions and if you can go with a Japanese friend (wingman) your chances of been accepted will increase!

I agree with @SatoKM , it will vary from shop to shop. Some will let a white boy in if he has the passport, some will refuse even full Japanese if their language skills are not native level.