Soaplands etiquette

kyotodai

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I was in Club Armour tonight in Osaka and there were 3 men (I think Phillipino or Indonesian, I couldn't pick the language) and they were all talking SUPER loudly, fucking around on the seats, taking photos of the waiting area/selfies, talking loudly on the phone.

If I were the business owner I'd have kicked them out.

Anyway, the question is - I assumed the ettiqute is to wait quietly as to not disturb other customers? Especially don't take photos that could include others faces in them.

Really strange experience, I was wondering how common this is for foreigners to do - I can only assume this hurts other foreign people behaving with more manners.

Assholes for sure, I have gone in company but I always spoke quietly and never did I take photos if someone else was in the waiting room.

Never seen what you experienced.

Note, Club Amour isn't a soapland but waiting room etiquette should be the same.

Reactions: R3mmles
I assumed the ettiqute is to wait quietly as to not disturb other customers? Especially don't take photos that could include others faces in them.
Correct.
Really strange experience, I was wondering how common this is for foreigners to do - I can only assume this hurts other foreign people behaving with more manners.
It’s not common, but it’s definitely one of the reasons that shops will close their doors to foreign customers.

Anyway, the question is - I assumed the ettiqute is to wait quietly as to not disturb other customers? Especially don't take photos that could include others faces in them.

I would say like in every other waiting room.....you keep quiet until your number is called. When it comes to Fuzoku descretion is key, so don't intervenese in other people's business.

Also when it comes to the reception desk at soaps or at hotel health...if there is another customer before you keep your distance and let him do his booking in privacy. Don't stand directly behind him and listen in on the conversation. I would say this is common sense, but seems there are enough assholes around who are lacking especially that.

I always stare directly at the punter on the couch beside me as he clips his nails or smokes. Sometimes I take out a sketchbook to get his face down for posterity

Reactions: Airnest
It’s not common, but it’s definitely one of the reasons that shops will close their doors to foreign customers

I'd say it's not common for foreigners who have acclimated and live here...
Tourists on the other hand can be obnoxious... fuck them

Kind of shitty to be grouped together in terms of policies

Tourists on the other hand can be obnoxious... fuck them
Yep. The weak yen has opened things up to the bogans and rednecks and gopniks…

I fully admit to chatting with someone in the waiting room at Y-Shirts, but we were both tourists, kept our volume low, and stopped whenever the staff came in.

Always stay quiet and browse my phone (more often than not the girl's cityheaven diary), only talking to the staff if I have a request or if they need something from me. I try not to look at other punters either.