STD check by mail

thirdman

TAG Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share my experience doing an STD check by mail, in case anyone else finds it difficult to get tested during the pandemic. There was a dedicated clinic in Shimokitazawa, but it has closed. There is a dedicated clinic in Yushima, near Ueno, but it was hard for me to get there during their business hours, which are only in the evening. I didn't want to go to a more general clinic, where people might be going with COVID-19 symptoms.

So I got this test on Amazon:

The instructions are all in Japanese. There are some illustrations on what to do, but you will need to read at least some Japanese to do this. It tests for 6 different STDs: HIV, syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc.

You basically need to do 4 things. This is for the men's test. The women's test is obviously a bit different.

1. Fill in the form. This includes an "application number" and a space for a 4 to 6 digit pass code you fill in. Be sure to remember these. If you include your mailing address, you will get results in the mail. If you don't you can check them online.

2. There is a fold-out cup you pee into. Then you use a little 10ml bottle to suck up some of your pee. Put this in a zip bag, and write the "application number" on a label, and stick it on, then into another bag.

3. You need to draw blood. After washing your hands and sterilizing your finger tip with the included alcohol wipe, you use a little white plastic device that you push down, plunging a needle into your finger. It didn't hurt much. It is recommended to do it a little on the side, not right in the middle of your fingerprint. You squeeze your forearm downward, then squeeze your finger to get a drop of blood on the end. Press this onto a card, filling up three of the four circles, that are about the size of a one-yen coin. Let this dry, put it in a zip bag, label with the application number. There is a bandage included to put on your finger.

4. There is a swab to take a sample from your penis. Rub it along the ridge between the head and the shaft, being careful not to touch the end of the swab with your hands. This goes back into the vial and then gets labeled.

Then you put your samples in the included envelope, and drop it in the post. Did you know you could send pee through the Japanese post office? The lab is in Gunma. There is a QR code included in the kit that takes you to the site where you check your results, but the URL is not especially long. You need to put in the application number that came with the kit and the pass code you filled in. Two days after I sent off the kit, my page showed as "processing". Later that day, the results were up. In my case, they were all negative. If some had been positive, I would have had to gone to a clinic that probably would have insisted on doing their own test. But at least I was able to get tested without sitting in a waiting room with possible COVID patients.

Full disclaimer: I didn't finish medical school, I did start one though, so... ;)

I wouldn't use a test like that if my life depended on it. It's probably fine and accurate up to 90-something percent, but sending samples over mail where you have little to no control over time from extraction to analysis, temperature and other conditions etc. sounds like asking for trouble.
There's a reason clinics either have analysis done on-site or rely on dedicated courier contracts. Also, depending on the test, blood should be put into buffer solution after extraction to slow down decay and decrease the chance to get false results, which from your description wasn't done. Maybe it wasn't needed for this test and it's completely fine - I don't know, again, I'm not a medical lab technician.

In case you engage in some really shady business and want to be really sure, I suggest you walk into a good ol' clinic. Otherwise this sounds like a nice option to increase the frequency at which you get yourself tested. Or get some testing done in case of those who are ashamed to get tested in person.

I see your point.

I don't want to seem like I am giving medical advice. I didn't go to medical school either, although I did work at one!

Anyone with symptoms should go to a clinic rather than wait for this kit to arrive in the mail. I just wanted to do a periodic check in the time of corona.

Full disclaimer: I didn't finish medical school, I did start one though, so... ;)
Lol. Unless you’re gonna be a pathologist for a lab, most docs know shit about the details of lab methodologies. Nor do they care unless something interfering affects the results with a specific method. They got a bigger picture to deal with regarding what the patient is presenting with, what tests to order, what the results mean for the patient, what disease correlates, and how to treat. How a test is done... fast and accurate, is all that they care about.
l wouldn't use a test like that if my life depended on it. It's probably fine and accurate up to 90-something percent, but sending samples over mail where you have little to no control over time from extraction to analysis, temperature and other conditions etc. sounds like asking for trouble.
Depending on the country you’re from, one of the first tests done on you in your life was likely a newborn screening test, one with collection criteria similar to what the OP describes, sent over a regular mail provider at ambient temp to a different location to get tested.

Dried blood spots collected on filter paper is fine as a method for certain tests. I’m assuming that was the HIV one as GC/CT/trich would be using the urine sample and the swab I’m guessing the candida one.

More than how the tests are collected and shipped, what lab is it and are they accredited would be my concern. If they are, then right on. If by chance their name is Theranos, run away. Haha. (Sorry, Theranos joke).
There's a reason clinics either have analysis done on-site or rely on dedicated courier contracts.
Stability being the reason only for the most labile of tests. But the main reason is speed for a stat setting such as a hospital followed by testing cost performance for non life and death type tests. And if the cost is too much, a method that can be outsourced will be used.
Also, depending on the test, blood should be put into buffer solution after extraction to slow down decay and decrease the chance to get false results, which from your description wasn't done. Maybe it wasn't needed for this test and it's completely fine - I don't know, again, I'm not a medical lab technician.
Test and method determine collection criteria yet you bash methods you don’t know only to disclaimer with IANAMLT. Lol. Also, technician, that’s like the low man on the totem pole of lab techs. Just saying.

Anyhoo, thanks OP for the extra option there. For anyone with symptoms reading this, if it burns, don’t wait, get thee to a clinic ASAP.

Last edited: