Strange Onsen Experience?

In low budget "onsens" in China (actually just brothels) it's really funny. Starts with a stare, group stare, question, admiration, compliment, and lastly, a joke about how it must be painful to Chinese girls. Jokingly I say 6 dead and countless sworn off of foreigners. But really, those guys have what looks like to be a cyst. It was like I was in the land of dwarves with magical stumps that could miraculously penetrate a lifesavers hole.

I used to frequent this huge Roman style bathhouse in Shanghai, but I forgot the name.

Anyway, the Chinese men were much more friendly. They would stare more at my face than my junk like the Japanese men do, but they wouldn't get out of the onsen just because a laowai got in lol.

Well, next time a Japanese person coughs at me or acts strange, I will make it a point to strike up a conversation with that person and see if they suddenly show friendliness.

I'm a foreigner, but I know a ton about Japanese culture, etiquette and unwritten law. Even when I'm doing and saying everything correctly, some people just don't want to see or hear it because with xenophobia, comes selective hearing.

Being called a Wild Card is pretty sexy haha.

Of course, the majority of them would just pretend to be friendly, but you can always spot a bullshitter lol.

I used to frequent this huge Roman style bathhouse in Shanghai, but I forgot the name.

Anyway, the Chinese men were much more friendly. They would star more at my face than my junk, but they wouldn't get out of the onsen just because a laowai got in lol.

Wow, you really do get around!!! I've traveled quite a bit around the US and Europe, however when it comes to Asia, only The Philippines, for a month in my Navy days, and here in Japan, over seventeen years now.

It appears though, that, from your description, the Chinese, at least the ones you have encountered, are much more open and as you say, friendly.

Still, the Japanese are a distinctly separate culture. True, that the ancient Chinese had a strong influence on Japan, through their art, religion, and language. (kanji)

Yet, primarily due to geography, the Japanese culture evolved so that people could coexist with each other in close proximity of each other. Japan has rather limited habitable space due to it's mountainous structure.

This coexistence stressed respect for personal space as a priority over the overt Western style hospitality gestures of friendship, even with relative strangers.

Westerners may perceive Japanese as hostile, because the lack of perceptual friendliness, when the Japanese behavior is meant to put the person at ease.

Me, I prefer the Japanese in an onsen environment.

Wow, you really do get around!!! I've traveled quite a bit around the US and Europe, however when it comes to Asia, only The Philippines, for a month in my Navy days, and here in Japan, over seventeen years now.

It appears though, that, from your description, the Chinese, at least the ones you have encountered, are much more open and as you say, friendly.

Still, the Japanese are a distinctly separate culture. True, that the ancient Chinese had a strong influence on Japan, through their art, religion, and language. (kanji)

Yet, primarily due to geography, the Japanese culture evolved so that people could coexist with each other in close proximity of each other. Japan has rather limited habitable space due to it's mountainous structure.

This coexistence stressed respect for personal space as a priority over the overt Western style hospitality gestures of friendship, even with relative strangers.

Westerners may perceive Japanese as hostile, because the lack of perceptual friendliness, when the Japanese behavior is meant to put the person at ease.

Me, I prefer the Japanese in an onsen environment.

Yes, I worked and lived in various regions of China for 4 years. I understand Chinese culture(s) really well also.

Reactions: roots reggae

Anyway, the Chinese men were much more friendly. They would stare more at my face than my junk like the Japanese men do, but they wouldn't get out of the onsen just because a laowai got in lol.

I never noticed Chinese getting out simply because a laowai got in. It all seemed normal to me. Are you sure you weren't giving them the suicide belt bomber look? I tell you what though, most of the girls ran out of the room when they saw my face upon entering the room for selection at one place. It was as if the legendary gorilla had arrived that they had all heard about and were suddenly face to face with him.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I never noticed Chinese getting out simply because a laowai got in. It all seemed normal to me. Are you sure you weren't giving them the suicide belt bomber look? I tell you what though, most of the girls ran out of the room when they saw my face upon entering the room for selection at one place. It was as if the legendary gorilla had arrived that they had all heard about and were suddenly face to face with him.
i think you misread what he wrote. he said the Chinese didn't get out when he came

Reactions: split