Guest viewing is limited

Streaming TV or Apps "FROM" USA

oLUXo

Looking for sugar
Reaction score
Ok, so with some patience and several attempts to watch American Netflix (just because it has better shows, etc) as well as watching TV, sports, etc from my home area, I will list some information below that may help some if interested.

Ok, so first thing is having a good VPN service. I use Stong VPN (I think it's like $99 for the year). I use them because if you have any issues, there is a live chat available 24 hours a day every day.

Recently Netflix blocked VPNs so I wasn't able to watch for a couple weeks, but I'm back to watching again with Strong VPN as they just found a workaround.

I also have YouTubeTV (I think it's about $40/month) where I can watch local sports without having to pay a yearly fees for sports packages as it comes on local channels. Saves me hundreds in the long run. The only issue with this is that YouTubeTV uses GPS location.

I have android so I can enable developer mode (sorry Apple users, but Apple is lame). I can mock my location so it looks like I'm where I'm not so I can get past the location piece. I'm sure Apple has a way to get around so if anyone is interested, I can look for a way to help you out.

There is also SlingTV (about the same price as YouTubeTV), but if you use Strong VPN it works without much hassle. Some channels I prefer YouTubeTV and some I prefer SlingTV so I pay for both as there are channels some have that the other does not. I think you can watch WatchESPN App with SlingTV provider which gives you unlimited access to sports on ESPN which I like. The same goes for AMC for those that like watching Walking Dead, etc.

For the streaming device, I use Roku. It's so much better than AppleTV as it has thousands of channel (A lot of free non-paying channels) as well as Amazon, Netflix, etc that AppleTV has. Roku also has SlingTV and YouTubeTV app so that works great!

If anyone else has any questions, let me know.

Reactions: just4fun and MikeH
I think it was more than a year ago already when Netflix really started to go after the VPN users. Before that I was able to switch between the Japanese and US accounts freely. Surprisingly there was some Western stuff in the Japan site that was not in the US at all.

Some of the locations I use my computer do force everyone through a VPN so that meant I was not able to watch Netflix at all anymore. I talked with them and told them my billing address is in Japan, my credit card is in Japan, my VPN IP is in Japan so why can't I watch even the Japan offerings but they just said sorry, nothing through VPN anymore.

So I just started to torrent more...

For sports I tried DAZN several times. First it was a pain to get to work without breaking the feed for buffering every once in a while even with connections giving me 80 Mbits both ways. Somehow they fixed that (server capacity problems?) but then every time I tried to use it from home from NTT connection without VPN it would put me to a page telling the service is only available in Germany and Japan. I messaged them about million and three times and most of the times they get back with "have you tried turning it off and on again?".

When I finally got to the technical guy he said everything is OK and has always been OK and they have not done anything. But my connection started to work... Except in two months it stopped again; only available in Japan and Germany. I emailed the previous guy again and I got no reply but my connection started to work just two hours after the email.

Nowadays I mostly use Amazon Video when I am in mood for some TV series. I have Prime for deliveries so that is kind of free. I ordered the new Fire TV Stick from US and have been using it now for a month or so. Just re-watched Wire and now trying to start to like Startup. Though I am quite sure someone with a TV addiction would not think Amazon is enough it has been all-OK for me.

My own personal solution: Pay a small yearly fee to a friend who has a 1gpbs (up/down) connection from one of the major FTTP providers in the states. I built a small linux server with a vpn solution configured and installed it on his network with appropriate ports allocated to the server. This enables me to see American Netflix, HBO, All of the region locked streaming services plus all of the content available from that specific ISP. There are other useful applications for this, but the heaviest use is streaming content back to Japan.

The server itself is tiny, built on one on of the shuttle slim chassis with its own little UPS and ethernet line.

I think it was more than a year ago already when Netflix really started to go after the VPN users. Before that I was able to switch between the Japanese and US accounts freely. Surprisingly there was some Western stuff in the Japan site that was not in the US at all.

Some of the locations I use my computer do force everyone through a VPN so that meant I was not able to watch Netflix at all anymore. I talked with them and told them my billing address is in Japan, my credit card is in Japan, my VPN IP is in Japan so why can't I watch even the Japan offerings but they just said sorry, nothing through VPN anymore.

For sports I tried DAZN several times. First it was a pain to get to work without breaking the feed for buffering every once in a while even with connections giving me 80 Mbits both ways. Somehow they fixed that (server capacity problems?) but then every time I tried to use it from home from NTT connection without VPN it would put me to a page telling the service is only available in Germany and Japan. I messaged them about million and three times and most of the times they get back with "have you tried turning it off and on again?".

When I finally got to the technical guy he said everything is OK and has always been OK and they have not done anything. But my connection started to work... Except in two months it stopped again; only available in Japan and Germany. I emailed the previous guy again and I got no reply but my connection started to work just two hours after the email.

Nowadays I mostly use Amazon Video when I am in mood for some TV series. I have Prime for deliveries so that is kind of free. I ordered the new Fire TV Stick from US and have been using it now for a month or so. Just re-watched Wire and now trying to start to like Startup. Though I am quite sure someone with a TV addiction would not think Amazon is enough it has been all-OK for me.

I recently paused my Netflix subscription, but I never had a VPN detection problem with Netflix. I am using Nord.

Whatever happened to good old piracy? Simple, direct, and a good excuse to drink rum.

Whatever happened to good old piracy? Simple, direct, and a good excuse to drink rum.

Even with the risk of going blind or growing hair on my palms I self-quote:

I wonder if I can counter the hair growth with Bundaberg? They did have one pirate there too, right?

Reactions: Sudsy
I wonder if I can counter the hair growth with Bundaberg? They did have one pirate there too, right?

I wouldn't wish most Bundie offerings on my worst enemies. Try some Ron Zacapa. You'll thank me. :)

Reactions: MikeH
I wouldn't wish most Bundie offerings on my worst enemies. Try some Ron Zacapa. You'll thank me. :)

We used to drink it with coke as kids. Does not really matter what is the rum then, and anyway even Bundaberg is a clear improvement from the moon shine we had before that.

But will try to grab your a bottle of that Ron Zacapa next time. I do have a dozen bottles of whiskey to do before that though and I am a beer drinker at heart so it might take some time. :oops:

Reactions: Sudsy

As they keep cracking down on the servers, it's getting harder to get downloads that are not loaded with viruses. I'd rather pay than to keep dealing with a bunch of viruses on my system. That's just me though.

I'd rather pay than to keep dealing with a bunch of viruses on my system.

There are several services that I would pay if they would work for me. Including Netflix and streaming services for sports. But they don't so using torrents and rogue streamers is the only option; if you want to watch that is.

Never yet had to suffer from viruses though; same as with sex, never go in without protection.

Reactions: oLUXo and Sudsy
Sports I use reddit exclusively. Great picture/sound. Lags sometimes because I'm in a big building and it depends on how many others are using the internet. Weekday mornings it's great but weekends or at night it gets laggy.

I use SolarMovie for films and TV shows that J Netflix will not let me watch. I've whined to Netflix J about subtitles as many films (American made) won't let me use English subs for some stupid reason.

Reactions: MikeH
google ip tv.
there are receivers that allow you to watch channels from various countries for a yearly small fee.
I pay around 50$ a year for the one I have. Got the receiver + 1 year service for 70$ in my home country but you can also order that online from various sites.

I recently paused my Netflix subscription, but I never had a VPN detection problem with Netflix. I am using Nord.
I use them too but it depends on which server I’m on if they detect my vpn connection or not. Otherwise I just jump severs until I find one that works again.

try: YesMovies, Go Movies, hulu123, Solar etc.... streaming of series and movies just close the new tab it opens immediately... price is right " Fuureeeeeeeee" I use Windscribe VPN - 10GB/month/Free each month it resets...