Guest viewing is limited

Sugamo

It was old town already when it hosted the A-list war criminals....

Sugamo prison wasn't actually in Sugamo. They built Sunshine City over the grounds when they razed it.

The plaza on the north side is the area where the gallows stood - they didn't want to build over an execution ground, so they just put a "park" there instead.

Sugamo prison wasn't actually in Sugamo. They built Sunshine City over the grounds when they razed it.

The plaza on the north side is the area where the gallows stood - they didn't want to build over an execution ground, so they just put a "park" there instead.
So its in Ikebukuro?

Why are europeans so obsessed with that group in Sugamo prison?

Maybe because it is funny to watch victors always twisting themselves when trying to justify killing the losers in mock trials?

So its in Ikebukuro?

Yeah, closer to the Ikebukuro station than Sugamo. I found names always funny in Tokyo; Sugamo prison is not in Sugamo but a school called Hongo is of course next to the Sugamo station.

Last edited:
So its in Ikebukuro?

Yep. On a nice day, you can sit out in the plaza and have your lunch on the spot where they strung up Tojo.

Yeah, closer to the Ikebukuro station than Sugamo. I found names always funny in Tokyo; Sugamo prison is not in Sugamo but a school called Hongo is of course next to the Sugamo station.

Shinagawa station is in Minato-ku, and Meguro station is in Shinagawa-ku, and the southern part of Shinjuku station (the new bus terminal) is in Shibuya-ku...how confusing, but for the Sugamo prison, it was the US forces that named the facility after the district's name of that time, Nishi Sugamo, or it's just because Ikebukuro was a tongue twister.

Maybe because it is funny to watch victors always twisting themselves when trying to justify killing the losers in mock trials?

Funny that, the Imperial Army & Navy did a great job at smacking the European colonial powers out of Asia pretty completely yet they can still think of themselves as "victors" regarding the war in the Pacific.

Reactions: MikeH
Tbh, I like Sugamo and the neighboring areas. A cafe that I know for more than 30 years turned out to be on the upstairs of JanJan at my recent visit. This cafe's decor is soaplandishly kitsch, but it's one of few remaining good old Japanese style kissa-ten.

Shinagawa station is in Minato-ku, and Meguro station is in Shinagawa-ku, and the southern part of Shinjuku station (the new bus terminal) is in Shibuya-ku...how confusing, but for the Sugamo prison, it was the US forces that named the facility after the district's name of that time, Nishi Sugamo, or it's just because Ikebukuro was a tongue twister.
Tokyo international airport is in Chiba. Tokyo Disneyland is in Chiba. Hell, most of Tokyo Bay is Chiba...

You know you are in an old part of Tokyo when some of the shop awnings still show phone numbers in the 03-plus7-digit fortmat from over 35 years ago.

Most of those places don't even have the 03 in front; just seven numbers. Guessing the sign painters are not doing killer salaries in those parts of the town.

Most of those places don't even have the 03 in front; just seven numbers.
My guess is that for the shops which never bothered to update their phone numbers on the awning most/all of their customers live. within walking distance and the last time anybody called to ask about a product was when it still was a 7-digit call.

Reactions: Muku1 and MikeH
If they had trouble with "Ikebukuro", i wish i could have seen their faces when they learned about "Takadanobaba"

Or Futakotamagawaen.

Tokyo international airport is in Chiba. Tokyo Disneyland is in Chiba. Hell, most of Tokyo Bay is Chiba...

Here is another example of confusing place names. This one is from Kanagawa Prefecture.

Naval Air Facility Atsugi is not in Atsugi City. The joint Japan-U.S. base actually covers parts of Ayase and Yamato.