Telegram

sunshine2k5

TAG Member
Reaction score
Recently I start using telegram.
What do you think of this app?
How many people use it?
Thank you!

It's just another smartphone messaging app - Nobody around me uses it, most people I'm connected with use LINE, WhatsApp and just straight up SMS/iMessage etc.

Reactions: sunshine2k5
It's pretty popular in Europe. It is encrypted, you don't need to share your phone number like with WhatsApp.
I have no Idea, what LINE offers in terms of group chats, but afaik the group size in WhatsApp is limited, I n telegram it's not or the limit is huge enough to practically not matter. Telegram also apparently allows for easy integration of bots in channels.

If you only want to use it for private messages, there is probably no real reason to switch to telegram. If you are part of a community that uses it, it's obviously different. If you compare it with WhatsApp, I don't think WhatsApp wins in any other category than having been there first.

what LINE offers in terms of group chats
I think the limit there is 200. Telegram is something like 200,000 and WhatsApp's basic limit is 256.

I forgot to mention Signal, I use that with specific people but that's mainly to keep chats off LINE and WhatsApp.

Down in Kyushu, I feel like the alternate app is kakao, which is the LINE of korea. (Even though both of them are korean apps) Here, I exchange kakao with like minded errr hobbyists and in korea, it was similar for LINE.