Guest viewing is limited

Telemarketing Reminds Me Of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home!
Reaction score
While I was reading this fairly long post by @Sinapse (https://tokyoadultguide.com/threads/talking-to-a-woman-wearing-headphones.12267/#post-80206) in @User#16452 's thread (https://tokyoadultguide.com/threads/talking-to-a-woman-wearing-headphones.12267/), I received two unrelated phone calls which interrupt me for a few moments each and caused me to briefly lose the train of his argument. It was also annoying because neither call was from anyone I know or to whom I wished to speak nor did they concern matters of any interest at all to me. Of course, I had no problem at all letting the callers know that I did not wish to speak with them. Indeed, I said nothing but "hello" and then hung up the phone as soon as the caller had spoken a sentence or so that allowed me to identify it as a telemarketing call. Still, I would very much have preferred not to get the calls at all...just minor but bothersome and useless invasions of my privacy by strangers trying to get what they wanted (my money).

The account above is completely true, btw, not made up for the sake of this post. Very ironic I think, but definitely true.

Now you might think me excessively prickly to mention, or even notice and recall, such tiny irritations IF those two calls had been rare events, but of course as anyone who lives in a country plagued by telemarketing knows very well, those two calls were very much NOT isolated little hassles. Rather they were just routine examples of the constant barrage of such calls that one receives pretty much every single day and at many hours of the day and evening (usually in the range of 9am-9pm or so). Very often they interrupt an activity rather more significant than reading TAG (if you can imagine that). Some are what they represent themselves to be, sales pitches for some product or service delivered to random phone numbers, some are sales pitches disguised as something else (e.g., a survey), and some are deliberate attempts to scam whoever answers the phone in one way or another. They are widely regarded as one of the most unwelcome and unpleasant forms of commercial solicitations (i.e., advertising) and are generally despised by nearly everyone. In the US, there are even laws that attempt to control telemarketing (with only modest success, unfortunately). Those of you who are lucky enough not to have lived in an area in which telemarketing occurs (or is it everywhere now?) can learn more by reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemarketing and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_Consumer_Protection_Act_of_1991 .

What, a few of you may wonder, does this have to d0 with Nampa and PUA? Why am I posting it in this forum? Think about it a moment and, if you haven't, perhaps go back and read @Sinapse 's defense of cold PUA which I linked at the top of this post. While I receive a hand full of such calls in a day, it is pretty unusual to get two so close together that they both interrupted my reading, and perhaps reduced my appreciation, of a single TAG post. That was just "bad luck", but it did let me see the post I was reading in a new way...

As I read what I have written above, I am suddenly VERY worried that my post might give some enterprising PUA(s) an idea for a new way to make "cold approaches"...coming to your phone soon, I sure hope not! If so, mea culpa! :D

-Ww

Last edited:
If telemarketers were not as pushy and could accept my "I'm sorry but I'm not interested" without persisting, it would only be a minor inconvenience. Having to hang up on them (which in itself feels terrible) is just the result of knowing that they won't respect your initial wishes. But I can also understand having to do this multiple times daily to be very distressful, nothing good will come of any of it.

I think this applies pretty well to the PUA people. Persistence despite obvious disinterest is bad and annoying. But I think what @Sinapse was trying to say in the other thread about "she well tell you" is for guys to take the hint and move on. The only difference is that not all approaches are unwelcomed unlike telemarketers.

(Shame has worn off)

Last edited:
all unwanted calls, messages, approaches are still unwanted... its pretty simple...
there are places and areas, where it is accepted, or even expected to, but thats more or less all...
but like telemarketers, people often dont stop after being told (clearly, or not so clearly) to stop...

Reactions: Wwanderer
The analogy would be complete if you demanded that nobody call anybody else ever, even if (for example) they have $500 to straight up gift you, no strings attached.

Reactions: vondoom
that would be wonderful, most of the time...

The analogy would be complete if you demanded that nobody call anybody else ever, even if (for example) they have $500 to straight up gift you, no strings attached.
That might be taking it a bit far, since most not-unwelcomed phone calls are between people who already know each other. I think @Wwanderer is referring to more of a cold-call scenario.

Last edited:
for taking notes and maps...
last time ive been called on the phone i can hardly remember... i think since im living in japan, i got called less than 10 times...

also, it is not that uncommon her to go out and not wanting to talk, sometimes even going out because you dont want to talk...

If telemarketers were not as pushy and could accept my "I'm sorry but I'm not interested" without persisting, it would only be a minor inconvenience.

At least for me, and I suspect many, this is not true. Even if they were extremely polite and considerate in response to indications of disinterest, taking the call is still a distraction and interruption, just as a PUA's approach to a woman listening to music or an audio book or whatever on her headphones is an interruption and distraction for her no matter how polite and sensitive the approach.

But as you correctly point out, it is mainly the

having to do this multiple times daily...very distressful

that makes it a significant problem.

The only difference is that not all approaches are unwelcomed unlike telemarketers.

You'd think! I have wondered how telemarketing companies can possibly make enough money to stay in business. I have never heard anyone admit buying anything as a result of a telemarketing call, and pretty much everyone says they reject the calls immediately. However, evidently the calls are not unwelcome to some, and this lets them make enough sales to stay in business and keep harassing people.

Still, I agree. Cold PUA approaches are probably much less generally unwelcome than telemarketing cold calls, but the principle is not so different as far as I can see.

-Ww

Last edited:

I *demand* nothing at all. Everyone gets to make their own decisions about the trade-off. I am only pointing out a perspective on that decision some might find illuminating. It seriously just occurred to me earlier today.

-Ww

TAG's self-described Google guru (me) may possibly have a solution for you:

Many consumers do not want telemarketing calls at home. The law, FCC rules and programs like the Do Not Call list provide consumers with protections against unwanted marketing calls.

These restrictions, including the Do Not Call list, apply only to telemarketing, which specifically means the initiation of a telephone call or message for the purpose of encouraging the purchase or rental of, or investment in, property, goods or services.

Under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the FCC has rules in effect that address unsolicited telephone marketing calls – including those using automated and prerecorded messages

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/...eting-Calls-and-the-National-Do-Not-Call-List

What You Should Know About the National Do Not Call Registry
The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls at home. Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the registry for 31 days. If they do, you can file a complaint at this Website. You can register your home or mobile phone for free.

You may file a complaint if you received an unwanted call after your number was on the National Registry for 31 days.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

the principle is not so different

I pretty strongly disagree to any analogy involving "sales" since I view romance as non-transactional (which I understand puts me somewhat at odds with some sections of this board). Therefore, while cold approach is unsolicited, it is not "selling" anything, nor trying to "get" anything in specific, but a testing of affinity, an invitation to dance and see where things go. Romance, IMO is not an exchange at all, and therefore, philosophically it is entire separate from and unlike your example of telemarketing, while the superficial aspects (the unsolicited nature) may appear similar.

Reactions: Quietlife
PUA, just like cold calling, is very dependent on weak minded and easily led people. Telemarketers prey on the weak. For the strong, this is annoying behavior that they want to shut down as fas as possible. So now, nobody wants to fall victim to con artist. Some daggle deals that are too good to be true and assurances that they are never going to happen, but they fall for it anyway. To blind to see their fate through their mental waekness. The trap set at "hello", they fall victim to the sweet syntax of womanizers and scammers. The smart hang up and cut them off and rightfully so. Wanderer makes sense, a lot of sense!

Small interruptions are part and parcel of life in big cities.

In Japan in particular, I can understand the need to be sensitive to certain social situations, but most times approaching someone is completely fair game and socially appropriate if done correctly.

The whole idea of placing yourself in an awkward position as demonstrated in the article J linked is silly and wouldn't get very far in Japan.

PUA, just like cold calling, is very dependent on weak minded and easily led people. Telemarketers prey on the weak. For the strong, this is annoying behavior that they want to shut down as fas as possible. So now, nobody wants to fall victim to con artist. Some daggle deals that are too good to be true and assurances that they are never going to happen, but they fall for it anyway. To blind to see their fate through their mental waekness. The trap set at "hello", they fall victim to the sweet syntax of womanizers and scammers. The smart hang up and cut them off and rightfully so. Wanderer makes sense, a lot of sense!

Sorry, but have you ever dealt with a hot girl? They receive texts and calls all the time and are quite often the exact opposite of 'weak minded' and 'easily led' simply because they have so much experience with social interactions.

Reactions: vondoom
but still it isnt widely accepted to approach people here... if you are at places where it is accepted, of course it is no big deal... usually you wont get very far, though...

the awkward position can get you far, if it suits your type...
otherwise, i agree... for most it is pointless to try....

Some Japanese PUA said that 1 out of 100 or 1000 females are weak minded and his scam gets him in their pants. Thus this quote applies. Those hotties you mentioned are only wiser to the scams they didn't see coming.

"APick Up Artist essentially cons a woman into considering him as someone who is offering her security. But he is actually just trying to get into her pants, without a care about whether she feels used and abused … and leaving her to publicly decry the Pick Up Artist for being the scoundrel he was, in an effort to save face for having been duped."

Some Japanese PUA said that 1 out of 100 or 1000 females are weak minded and his scam gets him in their pants. Thus this quote applies. Those hotties you mentioned are only wiser to the scams they didn't see coming.

"APick Up Artist essentially cons a woman into considering him as someone who is offering her security. But he is actually just trying to get into her pants, without a care about whether she feels used and abused … and leaving her to publicly decry the Pick Up Artist for being the scoundrel he was, in an effort to save face for having been duped."
The PUA hate train was a few months back, looks like you missed it...

Take your jiyuu seki ticket and make yourself comfortable...

As I am leaving my old life behind, I can remember these types of things---

If a woman does the same thing, always hanging around waiting for the perfect moment to gwt the man she had no chance, she's got staying power.

If a man does it, he's a stalker. Blah, blah!

Well, PUA boys use fake names, create fake appearances of wealth (borrowing their sugar momma's car, stealing money from company accounts, coming up with convenient stories, making fake websites, hiring people to pretend to be their secretaries, using their buddies posh apartments, and many more tactics just to get some action. It's all drummed up, planned out. This is often accomplished by suddenly chatting up the woman in a bar or on the street. The man will talk to hundreds of women a day. Statistically speaking, he will get 5 to 10 women to fall for this. Just like the greatest scammer ever, the numbers will ad up to lots of women falling victim to such men. Maybe it's only once but it happens to them. PUA's are always looking for the next victim just like telemarketers. They both are predator-types. Nobody likes a predator.

If a woman does the same thing, always hanging around waiting for the perfect moment to gwt the man she had no chance, she's got staying power.

Well, PUA boys use fake names, create fake appearances of wealth (borrowing their sugar momma's car, stealing money from company accounts, coming up with convenient stories, making fake websites, hiring people to pretend to be their secretaries, using their buddies posh apartments, and many more tactics just to get some action. It's all drummed up, planned out. This is often accomplished by suddenly chatting up the woman in a bar or on the street. The man will talk to hundreds of women a day. Statistically speaking, he will get 5 to 10 women to fall for this. Just like the greatest scammer ever, the numbers will ad up to lots of women falling victim to such men. Maybe it's only once but it happens to them. PUA's are always looking for the next victim just like telemarketers. They both are predator-types. Nobody likes a predator.

Yup, that's my average day!

First, I take a nice ride in my Ferrari to downtown Shinjuku. It's eco-friendly, it runs on sugar.

Then, I spend the next two hours talking to women. I usually aim to talk to three hundred women a night, no less than two hundred.

After some time, a weak minded girl falls prey to my wily charms and drops to her knees, taking off my pants and sucking my dick.

Satisfied, I call my fake secretary friend and make an appointment to get my McLaren shipped down to Osaka so I can game there, along with a new fake identity card (Mr. Geh Mer, one of my favourite fake identities) and some stolen money from the company account.

Just another day in the life...

Thats funny because I teach pickup and I never say to do anything NEAR any of those things. Mostly it's about expressing yourself honestly, part of which means approaching women who excite you rather than making excuses.

TAG's self-described Google guru (me) may possibly have a solution for you:

Many consumers do not want telemarketing calls at home. The law, FCC rules and programs like the Do Not Call list provide consumers with protections against unwanted marketing calls.

Yes, the "Do Not Call List" and other aspects of the associated US laws and regulations are described in the links to the Wikipedia articles given in my OP above. Unfortunately this "solution" is only moderately effective. Many people's phones (including mine) are on it, but one still gets plenty (an annoying large number of) telemarketing type calls for various reasons (lax enforcement, various exceptions and loopholes in the law etc). Putting your number on the Do Not Call List does help some though and is worth doing, it reduces the number of these annoying interruptions and is worth doing.

Perhaps the relevant analogy is that putting your phone on the List is like a woman putting on headphones. It wards off some unwanted interruptions but many others still get through.

-Ww

Status
Not open for further replies.