The Anything Goes Thread

Someone point me to the exact date in history when beer drinkers climbed up the snob ladder to nip at the heels of wine and whisky "connoisseurs". When I know that date, I'll invent a time machine so I can go and erase it from history.
There are definitely a lot of poseur beer sobs out there if you look for them. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about. Thankfully most craft brew people (that I know anyway) are working class, unpretentious and pretty down to earth. Beer is a simple brewed beverage. Anyone who talks about it like its wine or single malt scotch is missing the point. Thomas Jefferson brewed his own beer at Monticello. He wrote in his diary, "Beer is proof that God wanted man to be happy."

This all comes from some brewer's slight of hand - pretending that ale is anything like real beer.

Any shipdit with an internet connection and $20 in stuff from Home Depot can start brewing ale. But it takes skill to brew a lager. That's why the German brewing authorities are strict about the difference between the two.

Wake me when the craft "beer" craze finally works it's way into the realm of real brewers and drops this IPA fad.
You don't know what you are talking about. There are beers brewed with top fermenting yeasts called ales, and there are beers brewed with bottom fermenting yeast called lagers. They are both beers.

Reactions: tigerlily
Beer is a simple brewed beverage.
Aw, dont sell my favorite drink short like that! Beer is great because its unpretentious, and easy to get into.. but that doesn't mean they cant have complex and subtle flavor notes like wine! Finding appreciation in that doesn't necessarily make you a snob I hope, haha..

Reactions: TheScientist
Aw, dont sell my favorite drink short like that! Beer is great because its unpretentious, and easy to get into.. but that doesn't mean they cant have complex and subtle flavor notes like wine! Finding appreciation in that doesn't necessarily make you a snob I hope, haha..
It is a simple brewed beverage in comparison to red wine which is essentially an agricultural product each vintage of which is influenced by so many complex environmental variables. Beer has stable ingredients. Any beer can be duplicated if the brewer has the skills and knowledge. In that sense it is simple. That doesn't mean its taste is necessarily simple. A simple beer would be a SMASH which is a beer made with a Single variety of Malt and a single variety of Hop. Complex beers can have five or six varieties of malt and other grains and maybe the same amount of different varieties of hops. Beers can also be aged in oak barrels and a second yeast can be used for a secondary fermentation. These beers, like an aged, oaked, Russian imperial stout, are anything but simple in taste.

Reactions: Frenchy
It is a simple brewed beverage in comparison to red wine which is essentially an agricultural product each vintage of which is influenced by so many complex environmental variables.

Sure, wine is more sensitive to climate, but I would argue that beer is equally an agricultural product as there are dozens upon dozens of varieties and cross breeds of hops, and the taste can definitely change based on where it was grown.

Good to know there is someone on tag who likes beer as much as me! :)

Sure, wine is more sensitive to climate, but I would argue that beer is equally an agricultural product as there are dozens upon dozens of varieties and cross breeds of hops, and the taste can definitely change based on where it was grown.

Good to know there is someone on tag who likes beer as much as me! :)
Not really. Who told you that? There are lots of potential ingredients that a brewer can use, but they are all stable and understood. A vintner takes a gamble every season with the grapes he grows as the amount of rainfall and sunshine greatly effects the sugar and acid content. Two totally different things. Wine is grown by Frenchy farmers. Beer is manufactured by German engineers.

I feel I could imagine how the conversation between the revenue officers and Darlin' Corey went...no, that's not supposed to be about beer.

Not really. Who told you that? There are lots of potential ingredients that a brewer can use, but they are all stable and understood. A vintner takes a gamble every season with the grapes he grows as the amount of rainfall and sunshine greatly effects the sugar and acid content. Two totally different things.

Aha! I guess you're right that the process of making beer can be a bit more disconnected from the actual growing and cultivation than wine. So I guess my argument would be more for the hops then the actual finished product.

Wine is grown by Frenchy farmers. Beer is manufactured by German engineers.

In any case I didnt know that @Frenchy made wine ;)

Aha! I guess you're right that the process of making beer can be a bit more disconnected from the actual growing and cultivation than wine. So I guess my argument would be more for the hops then the actual finished product.

In any case I didnt know that @Frenchy made wine ;)
Of course. Its in the blood, the flesh, the liver, the DNA... if some day I am lucky enough to be blown (blowed?) by you , watch for the liqueur that will come out :D

Finding appreciation in that doesn't necessarily make you a snob I hope, haha..

Whatever you say, snob.

Wine is grown by Frenchy farmers. Beer is manufactured by German engineers.

And we all know what is the difference between a Frenchy and a proper person. Though any proper person, be it German or Japanese engineer, will know that pure water is needed for beer manufacturing. That's why there are several countries in SE Asia where you cannot get decent beer no matter who you are willing to blow.

watch for the liqueur that will come out :D

Probably just hot air.

there is delayed ejaculation.

"Delayed ejaculation occurs when a man needs more than 30 minutes of sexual stimulation to reach orgasm and ejaculate."

Everyone hates braggers.

Reactions: tigerlily
Whatever you say, snob.

And we all know what is the difference between a Frenchy and a proper person. Though any proper person, be it German or Japanese engineer, will know that pure water is needed for beer manufacturing. That's why there are several countries in SE Asia where you cannot get decent beer no matter who you are willing to blow.

Probably just hot air.
Actually pure water is a completely useless concept to the brewer. What does pure mean to you? All beer styles start with a water profile. This is essentially a list in PPM of minerals present. Mostly calcium, calcium chloride, magnesium, sodium and other minerals. In SE Asia they RO filer the water and add minerals depending on what kind of beer they are brewing. In general the more minerals naturally present, the better suited the water is to darker beers. The less, more suited to light beers. This is why Pils was developed in Bavaria and Stout was developed in England Ireland. Hard water in England. soft water in Bavaria.

Actually pure water is a completely useless concept to the brewer. What does pure mean to you? All beer styles start with a water profile. This is essentially a list in PPM of minerals present. Mostly calcium, calcium chloride, magnesium, sodium and other minerals. In SE Asia they RO filer the water and add minerals depending on what kind of beer they are brewing. In general the more minerals naturally present, the better suited the water is to darker beers. The less, more suited to light beers. This is why Pils was developed in Bavaria and Stout was developed in England Ireland. Hard water in England. soft water in Bavaria.
@warubuta First, let me state that I do enjoy your comments. With that said, please let me provide a couple of counterpoints for any innocent souls perusing this (very entertaining) thread and mistaking your certainty on beer for accuracy. Pils by definition, is originally from Bohemia, specifically the town of Plzen or Pilsen (in English or German). Admittedly, it was a renowned Bavarian brewer (Josef Groll) who helped them shift production from top fermentation (the old Bohemian-style) to bottom-fermentation (a common Bavarian-style of that time). The water in Bohemia is soft, but the lack of minerals ensures clarity not the colour. You can vary the colour of the beer by adjusting the proportions of the light and darker malts you use. Other influences on colour are the temperature, length of brewing, etc. Incidentally, you could argue that there is such a thing as German Pilsner, but it doesn't change the fact most water in Bavaria is hard as per this map (you need to scroll down a bit)
https://www.buenting-tee.de/teekunde/tee-zubereitung/wasser-und-tee/
Best way to learn about beer is to drink more of it, your thirst for knowledge will follow....;)

Reactions: MossBoss and BB0523
@warubuta First, let me state that I do enjoy your comments. With that said, please let me provide a couple of counterpoints for any innocent souls perusing this (very entertaining) thread and mistaking your certainty on beer for accuracy. Pils by definition, is originally from Bohemia, specifically the town of Plzen or Pilsen (in English or German). Admittedly, it was a renowned Bavarian brewer (Josef Groll) who helped them shift production from top fermentation (the old Bohemian-style) to bottom-fermentation (a common Bavarian-style of that time). The water in Bohemia is soft, but the lack of minerals ensures clarity not the colour. You can vary the colour of the beer by adjusting the proportions of the light and darker malts you use. Other influences on colour are the temperature, length of brewing, etc. Incidentally, you could argue that there is such a thing as German Pilsner, but it doesn't change the fact most water in Bavaria is hard as per this map (you need to scroll down a bit)
https://www.buenting-tee.de/teekunde/tee-zubereitung/wasser-und-tee/
Best way to learn about beer is to drink more of it, your thirst for knowledge will follow....;)
You are correct about Bohemia vs Bavaria. Pils was invented in Bohemia by a Bavarian. He combined soft water with German Hallertau hops. I have read widely on beer and beer history, but I tend to remember the technical rather than the historical. Regarding color and clarity I think you are missing some things. Water hardness (mineral content and Ph) has everything to do with what color beer developed in different parts of the world and it is exactly the reason for the historical predominance of porters and stouts in England and Ireland vs. lighter color beers in Bohemia and Bavaria. Here is how it works. When malts are roasted (with the intent of producing darker beer with roasty flavor) acidity is increased (Ph lowered). This is not a problem for the brewer if he is matching dark acidified malts with alkaline water. They counterbalance. This counterbalance is important not only for taste. Conversion of starch to sugar in the mashing process will not happen efficiently in a Ph environment too much higher or lower that 5.3. So in hard water places, dark malts work well. Pale unroasted malts have lower Ph so when combined with soft water the brewer still hits the 5.3 range. Without adjusting the water you cannot make a dark, roasty porter in Pils and you cannot make a light, delicate lager in Dublin. Not possible. Today we understand water chemistry and we can adjust water by adding minerals and acids and we can brew whatever we want wherever we want, although adding minerals is much easier that removing them. Finally, the lack or presence of minerals in Bohemian water has nothing to do with the clarity of the beer there. Think about it. Is bottled mineral water cloudier than filtered or distilled water? No. Minerals are by and large completely dissolved and transparent. Clarity in beer is a function of a few factors including yeast and wheat proteins remaining in suspension as we see in wheat beers, something called chill haze which is caused by proteins that coagulate at low temperatures but clear when warmed up, hop oils and other vegital particulate from hops remaining in suspension, and the same goes for grain. Some kinds of cloudiness are not a problem, some indicate stability issues. Thanks for the clarification ha ha on Bohemia vs Bavaria. I am going to do some reading and refresh my memory.

Last edited:
It’s so sad, really. Based on his personality and body of work, Anthony Bourdain was not the person who I would think might contemplate that way to go.
Still, there are lessons to be learned here.
I like to remember Bourdain as someone who encouraged travellers to go to places beyond the tourist traps, try the local dishes, and meet and talk with people in these areas.
May he rest in peace.
40AC00CF-3F15-4F43-A5D8-79D54D221F16.jpeg

Val Kilmer apparently posted his displeasure....

I have to agree to a point... Suicide is a selfish act... But that's all I will say bcuz there is no way to put oneself in another shoes......

Feel bad for those he left to deal with the mess....

It’s so sad, really. Based on his personality and body of work, Anthony Bourdain was not the person who I would think might contemplate that way to go.
Still, there are lessons to be learned here.
I like to remember Bourdain as someone who encouraged travellers to go to places beyond the tourist traps, try the local dishes, and meet and talk with people in these areas.
May he rest in peace.
View attachment 8208

I loved him too. Very sad and utterly incomprehensible. The guy had a dream life, dream job, dating Asia Argento...

Reactions: Majestyk
So last time I saw [Redacted]’s Sophie she told me I was too much into my SB and should see other girls. And she’s probably right (dont think her comment was just commercially motivated , frankly she gets enough business without having to beg for mine).
I was never much of a monogamist , for better or for worse.
Dear TAG members, how many ladies do you see on a regular basis ? Or do you always try to see new ones? Dear TAG ladies, apart from clients , do you have just one partner or more ? (assuming you would want to answer this question, which I doubt very much :D)

Dear TAG members, how many ladies do you see on a regular basis ? Or do you always try to see new ones?

Good one, @Frenchy.
I can count the number of regular partners I have in Japan on the fingers of one hand.
There’s an indie I very much wanted to add, but she bailed out on me at the last minute on the day of our date last week.
Anyway, that emboldened me to contact a provider I met through social media. I’m happy to report that she’s such a lovely person and that we clicked straight away.
Maybe I’m still on a high from our encounter, but she looks very much like the Japanese version of American actress Odette Annable (photo below), whose credits include the film Cloverfield as well as the TV series Banshee and House. One minor peeve of mine is that she smokes.
10AFB83D-42C0-4249-B083-9C12ED1FE22E.jpeg

Reactions: Simonka and Frenchy
DC177142-2F7C-424F-8D36-4EC72B7DA1AA.jpeg
Good one, @Frenchy.
I can count the number of regular partners I have in Japan on the fingers of one hand.
There’s an indie I very much wanted to add, but she bailed out on me at the last minute on the day of our date last week.
Anyway, that emboldened me to contact a provider I met through social media. I’m happy to report that she’s such a lovely person and that we clicked straight away.
Maybe I’m still on a high from our encounter, but she looks very much like the Japanese version of American actress Odette Annable (photo below), whose credits include the film Cloverfield as well as the TV series Banshee and House. One minor peeve of mine is that she smokes.
View attachment 8222

Good for you! Mine too (i mean, she smokes too) , and she looks like Amanda Kerr (with bigger boobs) and it seems like I have a crush on her (i mean, my SB, not Amanda Kerr) and it starts to scare me. But seeing 3 or 4 different partners would probably not ease this, just drain my fun-budget more....
ok I stop my whiny-bragging here. :D

In Japan, I've always had a few in the que... For various reasons... But usually cuz in Japan women flake out so much... There are the one's that you enjoy their company and sex is OK.. Others sex is amazing but can only take their personalities in small doses, and the one's where sex is the secondary reason but on the times you had it was really good...
Now where to find the one that ticks all the boxes... Hard to find... I know I'm very picky won't push it into just anyone. :D Solo that's why I have a few... But also monogamy gets boring usually unless she super chill and open to play with others... Hard to find those gems.... And prerequisite is must be spinner... :D

Read Kitchen Confidential when it came out and nearly set a record for non-fiction in the NYT best seller list. Bought his Les Halles cookbook too. Both great. I ate at Les Halles in lower Manhattan with a close friend last summer. We had French onion soup. We had steak and fries. We had the duck confit. Creme brûlée. Classic French Bistro fair. Really classic and good if you like that kind of old school casual bistro French. I went to that Buncha joint in HCM a few years ago, the one that he and Obama went to. Now they have a big picture of Obama as part of the sign. Bourdain was one of a kind. Loved the Ramones. Called Jaime Oliver a panty waist. Ha! Had a very serious heroin problem for a few years but he kicked it. Went on to grab the world by the balls and sauté them in garlic and olive oil. Will be missed. Fin.