Guest viewing is limited

The Big One

iamyuu

TAG Member
Reaction score
Found this news article today - http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201707040006.html

Not sure what percentage of TAG members are living in Japan, but it does make me wonder if the looming risk of the so-called Big One affects the long term plans of foreigners resident in Japan.

Personally for me, Japan is already home for me, my 2nd home country. When the Great East Japan earthquake hit in March 2011, I remained in Tokyo, with friends supporting each other. In general, Japan has been good to me and I feel that I have rooted here.

Sorry, not intending to scaremonger. There are likely more key factors affecting one's long term plans, such as economic/financial reasons, job security or opportunities, child education, or even access to food more suited to your taste buds. Just wondering if the risk of the Big One is a factor.

Reactions: Wwanderer
The linked article states that

The research results were carried June 16 in Science, a prestigious magazine published in the United States.

This is an understatement. Science is most certainly one of the most prestigious and high quality scientific journals in the world.

-Ww

It is exceedingly rare for people to fear things that are statistically likely to kill or injure them. Residents of Japan, Japanese and foreign, appear to be much more worried about nuclear power and various infectious diseases than about earthquakes and tsunami which have and very likely will kill far more of them.

-Ww

I know this is more focused on Japan's "Big One" however the same has been going on for California for what feels like forever. I agree that adjusting ones life around events that you cannot predict or control is something I would never do. Theres always risks no matter where you go.

I agree that adjusting ones life around events that you cannot predict or control is something I would never do.

Oh but with this one people have had never problems predicting it. I mean the Big One has been predicted to happen Any Time Now long before I came here and even that is already ancient history.

But it's the same than with prediction about the stock market crash; continue long enough and you'll end up right!

I didn't go anywhere after the last big one, and I'm not going anywhere after the next one either. And not only because I am either dead or have no way of getting out :p.

Good to read that @TAG Manager will still be around long-term to run TAG and contribute to a vibrant P4P scene in Japan!
I guess long-term residents have already learned to live and accept the risks of the Big One, and focus on other aspects of their life.

The Big One is probably more of a question for those on the cusp of making that long-term commitment or not, particular soon-to-graduate foreign students. I definitely witnessed this case in the couple of years following the March 11 disaster.

Good to read that @TAG Manager will still be around long-term to run TAG and contribute to a vibrant P4P scene in Japan!
I guess long-term residents have already learned to live and accept the risks of the Big One, and focus on other aspects of their life.

The Big One is probably more of a question for those on the cusp of making that long-term commitment or not, particular soon-to-graduate foreign students. I definitely witnessed this case in the couple of years following the March 11 disaster.
Funny story, TAG actually went down just after the earthquake happened in Japan.... yet the core of the site was some 11,000 kms away from Japan. TAG at that time was just a shell of its current iteration, so while we had some downtime, it wasn't a huge impact. After that, we invested in more resiliency to prevent that from happening a 2nd time. (Technology has also improved significantly since that time as well.)

Funny story, TAG actually went down just after the earthquake happened in Japan.... yet the core of the site was some 11,000 kms away from Japan. TAG at that time was just a shell of its current iteration, so while we had some downtime, it wasn't a huge impact. After that, we invested in more resiliency to prevent that from happening a 2nd time. (Technology has also improved significantly since that time as well.)

Yes! At last a great and fun topic to discuss here! What is the Business Continuity Plan of TAG? Has it been audited and certified? Where is your Disaster Recovery Center? Do you have enough UPS power? We all want to know about this! :D

Reactions: iamyuu and MikeH
Yes! At last a great and fun topic to discuss here! What is the Business Continuity Plan of TAG? Has it been audited and certified? Where is your Disaster Recovery Center? Do you have enough UPS power? We all want to know about this! :D
Boring stuff. Simple answer, stuff is duplicated and synched in two other very different regions. (y) Either synch location could take over in case of a main failure.

Your witty posts are safe.

Boring stuff. Simple answer, stuff is duplicated and synched in two other very different regions. (y) Either synch location could take over in case of a main failure.

Your witty posts are safe.

Thanks! You are a very important service provider to us so someone needed to ask the tough questions! :)