Guest viewing is limited

The future for Japan

To those with kids here who are staying, do you worry about the Japan these kids will inherit?
All the time. I mean, imagine growing up in Japan having never met your biological father who gave you the genetic look of a neanderthal. One hopes that Japan is giving them the best chance I can't be fucked to offer.

People are always so dramatic. Surely things will work out in the end one way or another.

The saddest thing that could happen to Japan is if all the fun places will slowly disappear because of dropping population. There used to be such cool things like amusement parks on rooftops and daring fashion that have almost completely disappeared because of lack of youth. But then again, time periods have also changed and people don’t enjoy amusement parks and creative rebellion like they used to.

To those with kids here who are staying, do you worry about the Japan these kids will inherit?

I wouldn't worry about it as at the end of the day, no matter what, Japanese will return to their positions in the "hive" and act out their pre-ordained roles and get by in life, if only barely. Just make sure they stay in Japan.

The interesting thing is that every guy I know, myself included, who married a Japanese girl and brought her stateside, can tell you that within a year of living here--particularly in areas with a lot of Japanese tourists--their wives will remark, " I NEVER REALIZED HOW STUPID JAPANESE ARE." This can range from them flashing hundreds of hundred dollar bills at the open market and then getting robbed, to standing in the middle of the intersection looking confused and almost getting hit, to not knowing how to open a hotel room door with a key card or open a lavatory door on the airplane.

If you're gonna stay then you should be ok. If you're gonna go home, then you've got a lot to worry about.

Local problems seem kinda secondary at the moment. Doesn't matter if you look at Asia, US, Europe....there are tough times ahead and the most urgent problems are kinda universal. Will be a bumpy ride everywhere.

Times change and people are always afraid to say goodbye to the old times they grew up in. Scary times ahead but also very interesting ones.

Reactions: Negi77
All the time. I mean, imagine growing up in Japan having never met your biological father who gave you the genetic look of a neanderthal. One hopes that Japan is giving them the best chance I can't be fucked to offer.
Wait what? How did that situation came to be..

I'm aiming to move to Japan by the end of the year, and I think I need to worry about finding a girlfriend -> wife before worrying about possible children and their futures haha. It probably won't happen, but I sometimes fantasize about Japan making immigration a bit easier within the next decade, considering the declining birth rate and demographics.

Reactions: Mr Osaka
I'm aiming to move to Japan by the end of the year, and I think I need to worry about finding a girlfriend -> wife before worrying about possible children and their futures haha. It probably won't happen, but I sometimes fantasize about Japan making immigration a bit easier within the next decade, considering the declining birth rate and demographics.
The thing is that by a lot of metrics, Japan is easier to move to than most Western nations. Take for example the USA, there are country caps for Green Cards so it can take 20+ years to get permanent residency if you're from certain countries (I know from personal experience, it took me 25 years to get US citizenship).

But Japan is an unpopular destination for expats (this is due to a lot of factors), but the bottom line is that an Engineer from say the Philippines or India will make far more money in the US, will live in a far more accessible culture (for many people no language hurdle), and still have a quite considerable improvement in their quality of life.

Every country outside of Africa is facing or about to face a population decline, so immigration isn't going to save Japan unless they want to bring in a ton of Nigerian refugees.

The population here is also not going to replenish itself. So we'd better get used to old people and robots.

Reactions: Kawap and MikeH
The thing is that by a lot of metrics, Japan is easier to move to than most Western nations. Take for example the USA, there are country caps for Green Cards so it can take 20+ years to get permanent residency if you're from certain countries (I know from personal experience, it took me 25 years to get US citizenship).

It's harder to get a Japanese citizenship tho, especially if you are not willing to marry a Japanese national or you are not directly related to one.

It's harder to get a Japanese citizenship tho, especially if you are not willing to marry a Japanese national or you are not directly related to one.
Forgive me, I do not know the nuances of Japanese immigration law but from my quick research here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_nationality_law

It seems like the same amount of years as the US (5 years as a permanent resident), the thing with US immigration law is getting a Green Card (permanent residency) can be so difficult for a lot of countries due to country caps. The easiest way to immigrate to the US is by marriage or family links also. Japan also has a more straightforward points system for highly skilled workers compared to the US where the process is long and daunting.

Reactions: Cinnabums
Actually I believe you can get Japanese citizenship without PR or a spouse, you just need to have lived in Japan legally for the required number of years. In some respects the standards are actually lower than for PR. The main caveat is that you are not allowed to keep your previous citizenship (though some people try anyway).

Actually I believe you can get Japanese citizenship without PR or a spouse, you just need to have lived in Japan legally for the required number of years. In some respects the standards are actually lower than for PR. The main caveat is that you are not allowed to keep your previous citizenship (though some people try anyway).
interesting. Didnt know that but it makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: rd1023
It’s actually easier to get citizenship here than it is to get PR, funnily enough. And unlike many countries, PR is not a prerequisite for citizenship - all you need is 5 years of residency and good behavior, basically.

It’s actually easier to get citizenship here than it is to get PR, funnily enough. And unlike many countries, PR is not a prerequisite for citizenship - all you need is 5 years of residency and good behavior, basically.
So someone could teach English for 5 years and get citizenship basically? That's a hell of a lot easier than basically every western country which requires Permanent Residency before counting years towards citizenship

So someone could teach English for 5 years and get citizenship basically? That's a hell of a lot easier than basically every western country which requires Permanent Residency before counting years towards citizenship
Yes, provided they keep their noses clean and otherwise appear to be a productive member of society.

Reactions: rd1023