Guest viewing is limited

The future for Japan

This! đź’Ż

I don’t think a declining population for japan is bad. I think it’s going to end up raising quality of living. Most of the population decline is in the inaka. Tokyo / Osaka / Nagoya will see net population increases. This means more efficient distribution of public services; it’s more effective to build a km of road in Tokyo used by millions than it is to build a km of road in Aomori used by thousands.
As the inaka population shrinks Japan’s stupid infatuation with food self sufficiency will decline leading to more imported food and actual price competition on basics like rice and fruits. (Btw food self sufficiency is irrelevant if Japan doesn’t have the energy independence to COOK the food, which it does not have.)
So if the Japanese population drops to 100 million it will have several prefectures completely depopulated, with an utterly minimal transportation network and minimal infra support costs. Higher imports of food and other necessities which tends to price competitiveness and is good for consumers.

it’s more effective to build a km of road in Tokyo used by millions than it is to build a km of road in Aomori used by thousands.
Efficiency aside, as long as we have politicians that want to line their pockets, that road in Aomori will be pristine.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the depopulation of the rural areas affects the political graft landscape.

Reactions: MikeH
What is wrong with Japan: well, unlike America (for example), we don't have 200,000 overdose deaths in two years - nor the police killing pregnant ladies in a car - nor the mass homeless problem blighting many big cities and endless race baiting to gender confusion. Go to Nigeria, well we haven't killed over 50,000 Christians in 10 years. Go to China, we ain't putting Muslims in mass prison camps or indoctrinating like in Tibet. Go to France, mass riots recently, high crime, and parts of Paris don't resemble France. Go to Brazil, yes, those mega shanty towns and the indigenous still losing their land. Oh, yes, suicide is a problem in Japan (and other countries)... but you have a lot worse nations with a lot more problems. Sorry, I will now leave the political debate and get on with my morning workout!

I don’t think a declining population for japan is bad. I think it’s going to end up raising quality of living. Most of the population decline is in the inaka. Tokyo / Osaka / Nagoya will see net population increases. This means more efficient distribution of public services; it’s more effective to build a km of road in Tokyo used by millions than it is to build a km of road in Aomori used by thousands.
I agree but perhaps for a different reason. Declining population means tightening labor market; raising wages. Not every job can be automated no matter how advanced robotics and AI get (worst case scenario it opens new job sectors that we didn’t even know exist now)