The Hef is dead

Selling the rights to the photos is quite literally consenting to any commercial usage of the photos up to and including publishing unless you license the photos under limitation clauses.

That's why you'd sell the rights in the first place. So that the photos can be used for business or advertisement purposes.

Unless you want to go down the route of calling Ms. Monroe too stupid to know what selling the rights to the photos actually meant. Which given the era; not an impossibility.

It honestly reads like an Onion article.

The article said it was done legally. The article questioned the morality of it. Legality and morality don't always go hand in hand.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
RIP Hugh Hefner, founder of Playboy.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hugh-hefner-founder-playboy-dead-031914304.html

Do share your stories about Hef or about the Playboy magazine.

During the height of Playboy's popularity, I was still a student with not much income, so could only ogle at the magazines on the stand. I was also a huge WWE (WWF then) fan, so the only Playboy magazine I ever bought was that with Torrie Wilson on the cover.

With the growth of the internet and my increasing infatuation with Japan, Playboy's popularity waned, but it cannot be denied that Hef & his creation are revolutionary icons.

that would be the 2004 wrestlemania edition iirc. the one with wilson and sable?

The article said it was done legally. The article questioned the morality of it. Legality and morality don't always go hand in hand.
All it is doing is calling Monroe too stupid to understand what it meant to sell her rights. There is 0 reason to sell rights to the photos if you care if they are used for advertisement or business purposes. Unless the details of what it meant to sell her rights was withheld from her, there is nothing morally wrong with a business transaction where the purpose of the sale is spelled out in the clear.

This is like saying it is morally wrong to cook a dish after buying rights to the recipe. "I sold the recipe but I didn't think they'd cook with it!"

If certain terms and conditions were hidden from one party, like a sleazy car salesman, then you could make a case for morality (or the lack of) by the offending party. If both parties know what they are agreeing to there is no case to say one got swindled.

So again, either Monroe was kept ignorant of what it meant to sell the rights of her photos, or Monroe made a business transaction. There is no evidence provided that she was swindled, so there is no argument about morality to be made. She agreed to sell a recipe and they cooked it.

It would be one thing if Playboy had posted pics of her sunbathing nude on the beach, which to my knowledge they never published those sorts of pictures. Marilyn posted nude in front of a professional photographer, got paid for it, and presumably signed a model release.

I mean, I'm not holding Hef up as a super-moral guy by any means. There's a lot to be said for his civil rights work and raising the level of discussion and culture over the years ("reading it for the articles"), but he was a smut peddler and was the ultimate sugar daddy, keeping a harem of barely legal blondes in his house to bang in succession.

Reactions: BB0523
It would be one thing if Playboy had posted pics of her sunbathing nude on the beach, which to my knowledge they never published those sorts of pictures. Marilyn posted nude in front of a professional photographer, got paid for it, and presumably signed a model release.

I mean, I'm not holding Hef up as a super-moral guy by any means. There's a lot to be said for his civil rights work and raising the level of discussion and culture over the years ("reading it for the articles"), but he was a smut peddler and was the ultimate sugar daddy, keeping a harem of barely legal blondes in his house to bang in succession.
The ultimate sugar daddy and he only gave the girls 1000 a month and a filthy bed to sleep on, lol.
I guess they were in it for the connections though. And it didn't sound too bad, they all just had to ride him for one minute, haha.

Reactions: meiji