Guest viewing is limited

Things You Wish You Knew Before Moving

NormalGuy

TAG Member
Reaction score
What advice would you give to someone new, moving to Japan?

Things this year are becoming more permanent for me. I've worked out in Tokyo off and on for the last few years, normally a few weeks at a time on my original work contract. I now have an opportunity to prolong my stay, with the initial move being 6 months, with an option to extend after this period. This means that I now have to start planning for a more permanent set of circumstances, and re-negotiate my contract etc.

So, if you had the knowledge you have now, when you first moved here, what advice would you give?

I'm looking at things like:
  • Comfortable monthly income (before tax) to live on (single, 40 something male). Reading the other thread, I think the general consensus is 500k per month? Reading a little about Japanese salaries, I think the average salary for my role in Japan is around 7-8 million yen per year.
  • Areas of Tokyo to look for accommodation (working southern Tokyo, near the Yamonote line).
  • Would you recommend a bit of a daily commute (1 hour each way), or try to live as close to work as possible? I can see advantages for both, but having never done a daily commute I'm not sure how tiresome it becomes.
  • For the initial 6 month contract, how likely is it that I will find a decent affordable apartment willing to rent to me, or will I be restricted to living with other people in a shared environment?
  • What benefits are normally included as part of a Japanese employment contract (medical, travel etc.)? Should I be expecting them to cover the accommodation deposits etc.?
  • How did people transfer their bulk belongings from their home country (PC, clothes)?
  • I won't have furniture, TV's etc., as I'm leaving those in my property which I'm renting out, so does accommodation normally come fully furnished?
  • As everyone in the work environment wears suits, shirts etc, I imagine these must be quite cheap in Tokyo (compared to where I live), so would it be easy to just leave most things and buy a complete new wardrobe in Japan?
  • Any recommendations for language classes in Japan (I'm N4, moving towards N3), or would I be better off just talking as much as possible and trying to pick it up (want to pass my N3 in the first 6 months).
  • Mobile phones, recommended package?
  • Does accommodation come with all utilities included (gas, electric, internet etc.), or will I need to organise with suppliers?
  • How easy is it to make friends in Tokyo? In my previous visits I've made some good friends, and quite a few acquaintances, but these have all been external to the work environment while sitting in bars. Compared to your home countries, how quickly do you think you were accepted by your work colleagues and invited into their social circles (again, different cultures may have an influence here).

Anything else you can think of?

I'm guessing the initial 6 month contract may be an issue for some providers, as the visa (I think) will only be valid as long as the contract is? Should I push for a 12 month visa, with a 6 month review?

I'm sure there are a million things that I will need to organise once the official offer comes through, but I don't want to turn up clueless and not have any idea where to start. I'm guessing I will have 1 or 2 weeks in a guest house when I first arrive, and before I start work, in which to get everything organised. So the better prepared I am, the more relaxed I can be during this time.

Reactions: Jimmydr
Envy you buddy. Miss the days when everything was still new and exciting!

Depending on your company and how you are employed, they should be covering all the standard stuff - medical/health and commutation. They usually don't cover housing huy this depends on what kind of job you have.

Your employer won't be paying for the rental but may be a guarantor. You will need this or use a company who acts as a guarantor - fee is about 1 month rent. My advice is that if you are on a 6 month contract to get a furnished guest house. If you're salary is 7 ~ 8M then I imagjne your expectations are for a decent place so the usual gaijin guest houses may not do. For example Sakura House is one. Utilities here are covered but not if you rent your own place.

A 30 minute commute is the norm but more important is a 1 line commute.

All phone carriers are almost identical with their cost because they now have a capped unlimited plan.

I can't be sure but I think your visa should be 1 year minimum regardless if your contract is 6 months.

Unless your suits are tailor made, I would get them here because you may find your style a little different than those here.

Hope this helps. I personally came here and stayed at a gaijin house for 2 months just to learn the area then moved into a new apartment and set my self up.

Thanks for the tips, exciting times indeed.

I did a bit of searching yesterday for serviced apartments and furnished apartments. Some of them look stunning, whilst others look very basic, and the space doesn't seem to make much difference in the price (some expensive ones are small, while cheaper ones seem much bigger). Utilities on these apartments also seems to be quite significant, ranging from 20k-40k per month. Definitely need to do more research/viewings in country so I can understand why the price difference exists. There also seems to be a whole host of extras added onto the rental, from fire insurance, earthquake insurance, key money, moving out fees etc.

From my research it would seem that I would be paying Income Tax on my wages at Japanese rates, but not the area tax (10%) for the first 12 months, so I can now work out roughly how much I have available to pay the rent with.

I don't mind a few weeks, up to a month in a shared house, but eventually I'd like a decent apartment where I can wake up next to someone and sit and relax in comfort, without worrying about a load of other people leaving their mess everywhere or fighting for the bathroom. I guess many years of living alone and being a little older means I value my space, and peace and quiet at times.

The tip about a single rail line was very good as I hadn't considered this at all and it gives me quite a lot of options now to look slightly further afield.

Income tax isn't too bad but don't forget all the other additional taxes which come later in the year!!

If you work around the Shinagawa area and on 8M, I would suggest considering Ginza, Tsukiji, Kachidoki or Toyosu. You will find fairly new apartments there and although its 2 lines, the change will be around Yurakucho which isn't too bad. The area is also fairly clean, new and the streets wider. Check out Royal Park Tower in Toyosu for example. I believe they have furnished apartments and the availability and pricing is online.

Depending on your apartment, Internet may be covered but in all, your utilities shouldn't go over 25K since you are alone. Tip about renting, initial key money and real estate fee is negotiable. The same apartment may cost you more on the initial payment at one agent versus another. If you have a Japanese friend, ask them to hunt around for you. Don't worry about what people say regarding some not renting to foreigners, there are plenty of places around.

Tokyo is over 25% empty at of Dec. Everything is negotiable

- Always compare things in Tokyo according to your income/wealth. Living in Tokyo going out etc might be a different experience based on your salary.
- Some Japanese women are suffereing from being pathological liars/bipolar/borderline personality disorder, anger problems & will never try to be diagnosed & try to function normally.
- Learn to read & write in the beginning
- You can be happy & less stressed with one amazing female (of any race) if you find her. Lock her down or they will seek someone else.

Couple more questions regarding the move:

1. When registering your address, how easy is it to change once you have found a long term apartment?
I am considering a shared-house for the first month while I investigate apartments, which means I will need to register at the shared apartment and then re-register to the new address. Are the offices for changing address open outside of normal Mon-Fri office hours, or will I need to take time off work to re-register? Any recommendations on shared-house providers (besides Oak and Sakura)

2. Prescription medication
Can you buy prescription medication over the counter? I am bringing a prescription with me, just wondering how I go about getting it filled. It's not a high risk medication and I know it's available in Japan, so just wondering if I need to get a Japanese doctors prescription or if they fill it over the counter (what are prices like for medicine in Japan).

1. Just visit any city office that is in charge of handling that kind of thing. Fill out the paper work and it's done on the spot.

2. Take the prescription to a local clinic and request theFEDs to be refilled. Or you can look up a non Japanese doctor that will cost you, but will fill the prescription.

2. Prescription medication
Can you buy prescription medication over the counter? I am bringing a prescription with me, just wondering how I go about getting it filled. It's not a high risk medication and I know it's available in Japan, so just wondering if I need to get a Japanese doctors prescription or if they fill it over the counter (what are prices like for medicine in Japan).

Overseas prescriptions are not usable in Japan. You'll need to go to a Japanese doctor who will issue you a Japanese prescription - both the visit and the meds are covered under Japanese national health.

You can bring a one month supply of your prescription meds with you, just be sure to bring a copy of the prescription for customs to review. That should give you plenty of time to get registered under national health before you get the local prescription.