Thoroughly confused about an interaction I just had with a DeliHealth girl

John Freedom

TAG Member
Reaction score
So at the end of our ‘meeting’, she was packing her suitcase, asking me what I was planning to do for the day. Told her I’d be getting a late lunch, and then some CoCo as dinner.

“Ooh, I love CoCo!”

Now if that had been all then sure, whatever. But then she asked me what I was getting for lunch. Gyuudon.

“Ooh, I love gyuudon. I haven’t had lunch yet either. I’m soooo hungry.”

Now this is where my confusion set in. Over the course of her packing, she kept making remarks that she was hungry and whatnot.

Now if this was a random chick at a bar I’d be happy to invite her out. This wasn’t the case this time, obviously. On top of that, her shift ends much later tonight, so there wouldn’t be time to have lunch at all, hence my confusion.

So, what was that all about? Should I just have invited her or was this just to make me feel ‘nice’ about my food choices or whatever?

She probably had somewhere else to be after that anyway, just make conversation in these cases and talk about places you like to eat and how good Gyudon is. It'd be fine to offer to buy her lunch the deriheru police won't come crashing through the window to beat you down for being polite. They are normal human beings that have lives and get hungry, not robots programmed to kill anyone who offers them something that isn't on a website menu.

Should I just have invited her or was this just to make me feel ‘nice’ about my food choices or whatever?

Why not ask? Worst thing she can do is say she has to get back to work. Best case, she actually was throwing you a hint.

Hey... I like Coco.... :(

Well, nobody is perfect. Do you know that if you google CoCo's they will display "people also search for... Saizeriya" :D

To be honest they also list Big Boy which is my favourite out of this category. The name strokes my ego the right way. :eek:

Nope, worst case you actually have to go eat at CoCo. :eek:

It's not that bad if you want to eat something fast lol. Only problem is it's the kind of place to run into other foreigners who want to be my new friend and tell me about all the Maricar they've been doing. Not quite as bad as Yoshinoya, I swear each time I go in one of those places there is some other white guy staring at me and they smile when you look at them like they want to come over and talk to me. "Oh wow another white guy! What magical fate must have bought us together in this strange land!?".

"Oh wow another white guy! What magical fate must have bought us together in this strange land!?".

The rule at least back in the day was you never acknowledge another white guy. Not in the train, not in the restaurant, not anywhere.

As if you even look at them, or worse, nod your head they will breeze over and want to become your best pal ever. Because 92% of all white guys in Japan were crazy. You just ignored them and hoped you'd be part of that 8% yourself.

CoCo is nice.

I would never go that far. They serve a tasty curry, but they're not "nice".

They're the restaurant equivalent of Seafari. Cheap, reliable, gets the job done, but if you have the time and money you'll go somewhere else.

Depends on the tone really. How you say something can completely change the meaning.

Scenario 1

You: Would you like to join me for lunch?
The girl: Why not? Waai! Ureshii!
You: Great! Let’s go!

Scenario 2

The girl: You must be joking.
You: Yeah, I’m just joking, ya know. Enjoy your lunch!

Scenario 3

The girl: Yes, let’s go to Saizeriya!
You: Sorry. I’m not that hungry.

I've never met anyone who actually ate at a Saizeriya. Somebody must be for the bad reputation and the fact there are a bunch of them around. There is one down the road from where I'm staying that I pass on the way to the station but it always looks empty.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I've never met anyone who actually ate at a Saizeriya.
Well the few times I've been to one it was totally packed, so I guess it really depends on the location and time of day. Anyway, great place to kill time or to show visitors how even the cheap crap in Japan can be pretty decent.

Back on the topic itself, I also think you're reading too much into it. Most likely just small talk, with a very small chance that she actually wanted to hang out with you more or maybe seeing if she can get a free meal out of you. Unless you were really into her and would've wanted her to join you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Pretty much all Japanese girls are hungry all the time because they're starving themselves on diets.

Reactions: Frenchy
The rule at least back in the day was you never acknowledge another white guy. Not in the train, not in the restaurant, not anywhere.

As if you even look at them, or worse, nod your head they will breeze over and want to become your best pal ever. Because 92% of all white guys in Japan were crazy. You just ignored them and hoped you'd be part of that 8% yourself.

Now there are 2 Caucasians working at my 7-11. We completely ignore each other's whiteness and all our transactions are in Japanese. That feels really odd.

I've never met anyone who actually ate at a Saizeriya. Somebody must be for the bad reputation and the fact there are a bunch of them around. There is one down the road from where I'm staying that I pass on the way to the station but it always looks empty.
>_>
<_<
I like Saizeriya...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now there are 2 Caucasians working at my 7-11. We completely ignore each other's whiteness and all our transactions are in Japanese. That feels really odd.
Lol. Happened to me the other day while I was buying stockings:

White girl: Douzo goran kudasaimase san juu paasento offu desu
Me: Hai....AAIIII WHITE GIRL OMG

At least you can all communicate in the language of the country you live in, which is more than can be said of some immigrants working jobs in Japan. I went with my friend one night to print off tickets at a 7/11 and there is a foreign dude at the counter so my friend starts conversing in Japanese and the guy just doesn't understand what he's asking or understand the print out code my friend has on his phone. My friend tries in English but the guy doesn't speak any English either lol. He had to ask another staff member to help in the end but it left us wondering how the guy got the job in the first place. Actually more and more conbini seem to have foreign staff in the last few years so maybe it's one of those jobs Japanese people don't really want to do anymore.

Reactions: Frenchy
At least you can all communicate in the language of the country you live in, which is more than can be said of some immigrants working jobs in Japan. I went with my friend one night to print off tickets at a 7/11 and there is a foreign dude at the counter so my friend starts conversing in Japanese and the guy just doesn't understand what he's asking or understand the print out code my friend has on his phone. My friend tries in English but the guy doesn't speak any English either lol. He had to ask another staff member to help in the end but it left us wondering how the guy got the job in the first place. Actually more and more conbini seem to have foreign staff in the last few years so maybe it's one of those jobs Japanese people don't really want to do anymore.

I think I saw similar situation guys last night. I thought I saw you guys. o(^_-)O