Those internet guides on what not to do in Japan..

FallenLaughter

TAG Member
Reaction score
You ever read these or watch the youtube videos where it's advice on what not to do in Japan and see things that are completely wrong or misguided? A lot of people here have way more time living in Japan and even I scratch my head at some of it. The "You should never walk and eat" one confuses me because it's not like I never see it and nobody who is actually Japanese has ever said to me it's a big taboo. What are the things a lot of them get seriously wrong?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
You ever read these or watch the youtube videos where it's advice on what not to do in Japan and see things that are completely wrong or misguided? A lot of people here have way more time living in Japan and even I scratch my head at some of it. The "You should never walk and eat" one confuses me because it's not like I never see it and nobody who is actually Japanese has ever said to me it's a big taboo. What are the things a lot of them get seriously wrong?
They are so painful to watch and I hate the fact that they show up as trending or content that I *may* be interested in.
The few that I actually stomached were just repeating things they read on the internet.

At the end of the day, it's more or less just click bait and is otherwise just a time sink to kill some time. But let's be honest, there's much better ways to waste time.

I am not sure about wrong...but the onsen bathing guides make your average foreigner paranoid. It is made out like the onsen is some sacred temple. After a while you see enough JPN treat the onsen like their bath tub at home.....the mandatory sacred pre-bath cleansing ritual in reality simply involves most oji-sans sitting on a plastic stool and tossing a bowl of water over their backs. Meanwhile the gaijin sitting in the bath with his modesty towel on his head, starts to look for the exit, knowing that some crusty faecal nuggets are about to be dissolved in his bath.

You ever read these or watch the youtube videos

No.

I remember reading tips like it's rude to look people in the eye before I came over

Most of the girls I know love when I look them in the eye when I come over them.

were just repeating things they read on the internet.

At the end of the day, it's more or less just click bait

This. Kids have found out it is possible to make money in Youtube and now everyone is trying to do it. Regardless of if they have something to say or not.

When I am googling for some info for doing something I do truly hate when it nowadays gives me the ten first links to Youtube. There some nerd then goes to have 23 minutes monologue of some thing that could have been described in written in one sentence.

I’ve received a phonecall from an advisor (I think my only cell phone call that month) that someone had seen me walking and eating at a train station. It was just barely not a joke.

Like, fuck, that nikuman is just so much better warm. Leave me alone, you monsters.

The one time I got funny looks involved a premium nikuman and a monster energy drink. Granted I chose to picnic on a bench inside a children's playground but opposite from me a couple of ojiisans were sitting with a carrier bag full of beer cans so I wasn't the weirdest one there, just the one white guy. Now I'm the one giving other tourists funny looks at parks like these two women walking around Yoyogi park with really nice cameras and lens set ups just taking pictures of kids playing without even asking their parents like it's not a really weird thing to do. Actually, photo taking seems to be the one thing where there are lots of spoken and unspoken rules so maybe more of these vloggers posting scary "you will be shunned if you do this in Japan!" videos should talk photo taking etiquette and why taking photos of somebodies kids without asking them isn't good in any country.

Reactions: Sudsy and split
The above has happened to my daughter a few times here. Kind of irritating actually.

I got nearly slapped by my wife for taking a bite of food while walking. And she's not even Japanese. Was told to never do that again. Now I only walk down side alleys at night while nibbling on my McDonalds cheeseburger. But yeah, I can see how that looks lame now. Also, breakfast in bed is a taboo here too. I wonder if the wife would be open to that (maybe when we do it outside of Japan she can't complain).

Also, breakfast in bed is a taboo here too.

Yeah, it's strange, right? I like to cook breakfast to the girls I like and serve it to them in bed. I just wish they would say a simple thank you. How hard is that, right?

But instead they always scream "who the hell are you and what are you doing in my bedroom?".