Tiger balm

For a topical pain killer that is easily available here, comes in an unscented version ( so you don’t end up a smelling like an old aunt using Ben Gay ) , and contains diclofenac which is strangely enough only available as a prescription in the US ( might have changed recently ):

VOLTAREN EX Gel ボルタレンEXゲル
http://www.voltaren-ex.jp/p_product/gel.html
http://archive.is/3QJMf

INGREDIENTS
diclofenac sodium 10 mg
menthol 30 mg​

Price
50 mg package is around JPY1400
25 mg package is around JPY900​

There should be cheaper generic drugstore brands too - just check the labels.

Voltaren® Gel
A useful rub-on anti-inflammatory medication
updated October 15 2016 (first published 2009)
by Paul Ingraham, Vancouver, Canada

Think of Voltaren® Gel as “ibuprofen in a gel.” (It’s actually diclofenac, but ibuprofen is a much more familiar drug name in North America, where the product is still fairly new, and available only with a prescription in the US.) It’s a topical anti-inflammatory medication,NSAID and FDA-approved to treat osteoarthritis in “joints amenable to topical treatment, such as the knees and those of the hands.” The evidence shows that it “provides clinically meaningful analgesia.” This is an appealing treatment idea that actually works reasonably well: what a pleasure to be able to say that!

I got the Japanese voltaren gel today although the one with the sponge applicator. I have slight lower back pain for the past two days and I don’t want to ruin my clothes with the tiger balm. Let’s see how that compares.

If you have any Japanese friends planning the obligatory trip to Hawaii, particularly Honolulu (Waikiki), ask them to grab you a few jars while there. Having such a historically massive immigrant and Chinese-American population in Hawaii, there are very few local supermarkets/pharmacies that DON'T sell Tiger Balm, and it's probably half the price of what they charge in Japan, if you can find it. Best bet would probably be to pop into the local Don Quijote, which is a mecca for all Japanese visitors, where a jar probably goes for around $5 US and they will have every, single variation and color in existence.

Or you could stop by Chinatown. The old Chinese vendors there probably have the blackmarket uber-strong illegal version of Tiger Balm that'll induce an LSD trip and a 4-hour boner.

If you have any Japanese friends planning the obligatory trip to Hawaii, particularly Honolulu (Waikiki), ask them to grab you a few jars while there. Having such a historically massive immigrant and Chinese-American population in Hawaii, there are very few local supermarkets/pharmacies that DON'T sell Tiger Balm, and it's probably half the price of what they charge in Japan, if you can find it. Best bet would probably be to pop into the local Don Quijote, which is a mecca for all Japanese visitors, where a jar probably goes for around $5 US and they will have every, single variation and color in existence.

Or you could stop by Chinatown. The old Chinese vendors there probably have the blackmarket uber-strong illegal version of Tiger Balm that'll induce an LSD trip and a 4-hour boner.

Now I know what to bring for omiyage from home next time we go to Japan. ;):LOL:

The old Chinese vendors there probably have the blackmarket uber-strong illegal version of Tiger Balm that'll induce an LSD trip and a 4-hour boner.

You are saying it's so strong it even reduces your boners by two hours?

blackmarket uber-strong illegal version of Tiger Balm that'll induce an LSD trip and a 4-hour boner.

Wait, are we talking about Tiger Balm or the prospects of a date with Anna?

Someone I have regular contact with has given me a tip to a product which is similar to tiger balm and also a lot cheaper than those loxonin patches

206491DD-88D9-43E0-913F-AA4C4125B869.jpeg

They come in different sizes as well. This only costs me 500¥.

They come in different sizes as well. This only costs me 500¥.

As said go see your friendly local doc and make your healthcare taxes work their magic. Salonpas is good but the prescription ones are better and way cheaper.

The prescription ones are indeed good but I’d like to avoid constantly going to the docor. ;)

My doc gives me 70 patches per visit (10 packs of 7 each) and says that's the maximum he can prescript. Lasts me at least two months, because I have small... muscles. :D