Timepieces

I think you answered your own question there. Men have few accessories that are considered acceptable by the mainstream. Like women that may collect purses, shoes, or other jewelry as fashionable accessories, men buy watches. As others have stated, they are somewhat like cars in that watches are a statement piece.

As you said spending more money on a guitar up to a point gets you a better sound. The same is said for watches. Spending more money on a better movement is more accurate up to a point so one wouldn't have to adjust as frequently.

Personally, I don't normally wear a watch. However, I have a 1904 Elgin pocketwatch that cost me more to restore than it is worth. It's something that connects me to my grandfather and it serves a semi practical purpose if I ever want to know the time, provided I remembered to wind it up.

I get what you're saying, but it just isn't comparable in terms of real world use. I can buy a shitty digital watch that will tell time just as well. Will it be accurate to the second at all times? Probably not but, really? In practical use, it's the same thing. And, if you're the type that needs an expensive timepiece to "make a statement," the statement I'm receiving is "sucker."

I understand having a family heirloom, or something else with sentimental value, but that isn't really what I'm referring to.

Reactions: lonegaijin
I get what you're saying, but it just isn't comparable in terms of real world use.

If we're talking practical real world use, neither are 6 inch stiletto heels for a girl but I enjoy the way she looks in them and she might gain some confidence in pulling them off. At the end of the day, what does it matter what somebody else buys as long as s/he is happy with the purchase. The thread is about whether or not you wear a watch and if so what kind. It's not for bashing other people's choices.

I get what you're saying, but it just isn't comparable in terms of real world use. I can buy a shitty digital watch that will tell time just as well. Will it be accurate to the second at all times? Probably not but, really? In practical use, it's the same thing. And, if you're the type that needs an expensive timepiece to "make a statement," the statement I'm receiving is "sucker."

I understand having a family heirloom, or something else with sentimental value, but that isn't really what I'm referring to.
Ah but you see, the whole idea of luxury is the exact opposite of practicality.

Nobody buys a Ferrari to be 'practical'. Knowing Tokyo traffic, it would be more practical for anyone to take the train!

If we're talking practical real world use, neither are 6 inch stiletto heels for a girl but I enjoy the way she looks in them and she might gain some confidence in pulling them off. At the end of the day, what does it matter what somebody else buys as long as s/he is happy with the purchase. The thread is about whether or not you wear a watch and if so what kind. It's not for bashing other people's choices.
You're right.

You can say the same thing about buying a Suzuki vs. a Ferrari.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Although Casio is more practical I absolutely love my Rolex.
While I do respect Rolex, it isn't actually something for me, both my watches are Casios. One that goes well with a suit, and one of the "armored" g shock with an analog face.

I can buy a shitty digital watch that will tell time just as well. Will it be accurate to the second at all times? Probably not but, really? In practical use, it's the same thing. And, if you're the type that needs an expensive timepiece to "make a statement," the statement I'm receiving is "sucker."

Buy a decent watch for say $2,000. Use it for 20 years plus. So that's $100 a year (this same $100 is easily spent in an evening drinking in noisy bar in downtown Tokyo). And perhaps your watch will help you impress a couple of ladies and / or business clients along the way. In addition you get to wear something nice, stylish and reliable and have something you can leave t to your son when you die.

Buy a decent watch for say $2,000. Use it for 20 years plus. So that's $100 a year (this same $100 is easily spent in an evening drinking in noisy bar in downtown Tokyo). And perhaps your watch will help you impress a couple of ladies and / or business clients along the way. In addition you get to wear something nice, stylish and reliable and have something you can leave t to your son when you die.

I don't do this at all (my watches typically cost under $50 and look cheap too), but I do think it makes sense.

-Ww

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the point of having a luxury mechanical watch. Those high end watches are made from precious metals and diamonds, the work that goes into the movements are unbelievable and beautiful. Those watches are for people who either, wear them as accerory, status or art. I personally find the movements to be astonishing and made me fall in love with mechinical watches. I wouldn't wear my Rolex and go airsofting or dirtbiking, like I wouldn't want to wear my Casio to an importornt event, because to be honest, they are that pretty to many.

Would you believe that I have seen people (in Japan of course) wear their Rolex during an airsoft match?
I've actually seen it too,the ridiculous part isn't that the watch is a Rolex, it's that the watch is a mechinical watch, mechanical watches are no where near as good as a digital watch, which it can tell milliseconds. Timing is pretty important in airsoft.

True. Jewels and watches are long time investments, not something that wears down easily like a brand bag. They are worth putting some money in because if you're careful they can last your whole life.

I've actually seen it too,the ridiculous part isn't that the watch is a Rolex, it's that the watch is a mechinical watch, mechanical watches are no where near as good as a digital watch, which it can tell milliseconds. Timing is pretty important in airsoft.
To me its more why have a very expensive & fragile piece of completely inessential gear on you during an activity which is likely to involve damage to that item? Same reason I don't load out my smartphone and don't spend money on genuine RDS/FLIR optics. Its not life or death after all.

I've never been in a match where I'd check my watch down to such an exact timing that I'd need a really proper chronometer. Honestly anything with a second hand/display is more than enough to coordinate a group action.

To me its more why have a very expensive & fragile piece of completely inessential gear on you during an activity which is likely to involve damage to that item? Same reason I don't load out my smartphone and don't spend money on genuine RDS/FLIR optics. Its not life or death after all.

I've never been in a match where I'd check my watch down to such an exact timing that I'd need a really proper chronometer. Honestly anything with a second hand/display is more than enough to coordinate a group action.

Fragile? I have an automatic watch that has a sapphire crystal face and is waterproof to 2000 meters. It's way more durable than my "shockproof" Casio watches. I actually have to be careful when I wear it because the steel case and band tends to scratch things around it when I brush them with my arm. And when I get it serviced, all the scratches get buffed out and it looks like it's brand new.

Fragile? I have an automatic watch that has a sapphire crystal face and is waterproof to 2000 meters. It's way more durable than my "shockproof" Casio watches.
I've seen rolexes get scratched up on the case or "glass" and from what I hear they arent cheap to get refurbished. I'm not saying an automatic watch is a bad thing at all, just its not something I'd wear to an airsoft match.

As for the "shock proof" part of Casios, that feature is only about not loosing correct time, not about the watch being durable. The big ass g-shock I wear may look armored but I know it won't be pretty any more if it crashes into concrete or a steel barrier.

I've seen rolexes get scratched up on the case or "glass" and from what I hear they arent cheap to get refurbished. I'm not saying an automatic watch is a bad thing at all, just its not something I'd wear to an airsoft match.

As for the "shock proof" part of Casios, that feature is only about not loosing correct time, not about the watch being durable. The big ass g-shock I wear may look armored but I know it won't be pretty any more if it crashes into concrete or a steel barrier.

Were the scratched up Rolexes real? Unless you're taking a diamond to a sapphire crystal face, it's very, very hard to scratch (unless of course it's glass in which case it's fake). Stainless steel does scratch, but can be restored (or if it's on the watch band, it can be replaced if it's a lot of damage).

I wear a 900 yen watch on weekends when I go hiking and want to escape from my keitai and other electronics.

Reactions: TheScientist
Were the scratched up Rolexes real?
I'm not a professional horologist but unless the counter fitters have gotten MUCH better since the days when I wore an arm full of Chinatown "Ronex" watches, the instances I've seen looked real.

Reactions: lonegaijin
You can say the same thing about buying a Suzuki vs. a Ferrari.

Hey, I love my 2002 old, reliable Suzuki Landy. It's survived so many treks around Japan!!! I doubt a Ferrari could do so.:D

Spring 2004 B0050.JPG

I'm not a professional horologist but unless the counter fitters have gotten MUCH better since the days when I wore an arm full of Chinatown "Ronex" watches, the instances I've seen looked real.

I'm not a professional either, but I did visit Silk Street Market in Beijing and saw many convincing Rolexes (at first glance, I never touched them). I'm not sure when sapphire crystal replaced glass on watch faces. Could it be you're talking about vintage Rolexes? Anyways, wikipedia claims that sapphire is the third hardest mineral (diamond being the hardest) so if I saw a luxury watch with a scratched watch face I would immediately suspect a fake.