Guest viewing is limited

Tips on not stressing about COE wait/how long does it take to hear back from immigration

Secretmugen

That's the secret Cap, I'm always horny.
Reaction score
Curious what the norm is, I've been waiting since the end of August to hear back about my COE and the wait is stressing me out. Was told by my language school to expect results around the start of November.

Everyone in my life who knows the process says it's implausible I'll get rejected as a financially self-sufficient US citizen with no criminal record, but I keep worrying about that possibility regardless.

How do people cope with the stress of waiting?

Language schools usually do not send applications to immigration if they suspect they won't pass the screening so if the school said to just wait, you can only wait. For student visas is really easy, the only thing they look for is money and no criminal records.

How do you cope with the wait? Just start organizing things and look for accomodation or food you want to eat here or whatever, try to get some study by yourself to get the edge and make things a little bit easier... I don't know, try to get your mind on practical things and you will find the wait almost painless.

just write kana if you havent learned yet. it will save you 2 weeks and you have something to do while waiting.

move forward to N5 kanji and so on
I have been reviewing my kana, really should try reading one of the manga I brought back last time to keep practicing...

Reactions: Alice and ThaWeeknd
Language schools usually do not send applications to immigration if they suspect they won't pass the screening so if the school said to just wait, you can only wait. For student visas is really easy, the only thing they look for is money and no criminal records.

How do you cope with the wait? Just start organizing things and look for accomodation or food you want to eat here or whatever, try to get some study by yourself to get the edge and make things a little bit easier... I don't know, try to get your mind on practical things and you will find the wait almost painless.
I do have my pre-moving tasks to keep me busy, thankfully, although that's its own form of stress. I know I'm worrying too much over the wait, but it's got me antsy, waiting so long without an update.

I do have my pre-moving tasks to keep me busy, thankfully, although that's its own form of stress. I know I'm worrying too much over the wait, but it's got me antsy, waiting so long without an update.
Yeah, it sucks having to wait without updates. I remember myself on the verge of madness while waiting for things to calm down in the midst of corona, while recovering from depression at the same time and filling all the forms for the student visa...

But that's how things go here. Tons of waiting, sometimes almost 0 feedback and having to figure out things on your own. By the time you get here, you will improve your waiting game so so much, sometimes you will cherish waiting times because you can focus on other things.

Reactions: Secretmugen
Yeah, it sucks having to wait without updates. I remember myself on the verge of madness while waiting for things to calm down in the midst of corona, while recovering from depression at the same time and filling all the forms for the student visa...

But that's how things go here. Tons of waiting, sometimes almost 0 feedback and having to figure out things on your own. By the time you get here, you will improve your waiting game so so much, sometimes you will cherish waiting times because you can focus on other things.
Looking forward to seeing Japan slap me backhanded across the face with the virtues of patience. Honestly, might be a nice change of pace with how frenetic and fast the US is sometimes...

Reactions: Kuromi
Good luck. I'm in the same boat, though the school I applied to will send out COE application in late November. The waiting and uncertainty is killing me.

I find them pretty helpful sometimes. City office staff usually explain things very carefully and patient and get you your stuff as soon as possible.

I don’t know why people would expect “updates” or their visa status and things like that. You’re under at a pile that people have to check through largely manually. There is no update because they probably haven’t looked at your case yet.

OP, best of luck, but if they say it’s early November then you will likely just not get any news this month. Just put it out of your mind and distract yourself. Preparing is good but I sometimes find it easier to focus on something completely different to distract the nerves when you haven’t officially been approved yet.

I have been reviewing my kana, really should try reading one of the manga I brought back last time to keep practicing...
Its been a long time since I had to learn those. The Genki book was horrible for learning but I found a small black book called Remember Kana or something. Taught kana like a choose your own adventure book sending you to next similar kana instead of in order. Seemed weird at first but one week later none of the kana were a problem.

Reactions: Secretmugen
Its been a long time since I had to learn those. The Genki book was horrible for learning but I found a small black book called Remember Kana or something. Taught kana like a choose your own adventure book sending you to next similar kana instead of in order. Seemed weird at first but one week later none of the kana were a problem.
I need to find this; I have no trouble with hiragana, but katakana has always tripped me up in comparison. Thanks for the tip!

@YokoMonger was this the Remember Kana book you were talking about?

519T5IK1a7L._SL1175_.jpg

I've heard of Heisig for his kanji memorizing method, but didn't realize he had a kana book too.

I just got an update from my school; I'll know the results in 5 days, on November 1st. Insanely anxious, but hoping for good results. 🙏